The "Shit I just bought" thread

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's all about preference. I tried to like the MX brown on the G710 and I just couldn't like the tactile feel. I disagree that MX red feels like rubberdome though. I've paid a lot of rubberdome keyboards in the past and they all have this sticky, messy pop feeling.

Seventh

Golden Squire
These things were kind of a pain in the ass to put on, but they get great reviews. Supposed to get smoked with snow tomorrow, so I'm actually looking forward to trying them out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am not really looking forward to tomorrows snow either.. I have no boots. Wife will be delivering mail during it

Seventh

Golden Squire
I am not really looking forward to tomorrows snow either.. I have no boots. Wife will be delivering mail during it
I don't mind the snow, I bought a new snowblower this year so I'm surprised we're getting any at all up here, heh. It's Invasion Of The New Years Resolution Fatties at the gym right now though, so I'll be doing most of my running on the trail/street for the next couple of weeks. My gym has maybe 15 treadmills, and both times I went up there today they were all full of people walking at 2mph and texting on their cell phones.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't mind the snow, I bought a new snowblower this year so I'm surprised we're getting any at all up here, heh. It's Invasion Of The New Years Resolution Fatties at the gym right now though, so I'll be doing most of my running on the trail/street for the next couple of weeks. My gym has maybe 15 treadmills, and both times I went up there today they were all full of people walking at 2mph and texting on their cell phones.
We go to one of the Work Out Worlds ($10/mo) so we get filled to the brim. We've taken to the streets as well.

Seventh

Golden Squire
We go to one of the Work Out Worlds ($10/mo) so we get filled to the brim. We've taken to the streets as well.
Planet Fitness here, same type of thing. Ten bucks, and it's right near my house. Usually it's pretty empty, and I wish the new years crowd the best of luck, but I'm always happy when this time of year is over and it gets back to normal. I wish I could post a treadmill of my own in this thread, but just don't have the space for it at home.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally bought myself a snowboard. I've wanted one for most of my life, but the cost of the boots, bindings, goggles, board, and other misc stuff was just too much to bare in one go. I've gone a few times over the last few years, but would have gone far more often if I had a board. The Burton Outlet here had some insane sales, I got the board for 90 dollars (orig. 365) and the bindings were also half off. In all, between the girlfriend and I, we walked away with 2 jackets, a pair of snow pants, a snowboard, bindings, and a travel bag for under $600. Everything was half off or greater. Going to Denver in a few days, really psyched to have my own equipment finally.

rrr_img_55469.jpg

Other stuff that I've purchased in the last few months:

An entire bar worth of various mixers (Chambord, Grand Marnier, Armaretto, etc) and a shaker. Made some mean cocktails over the holidays.

Winter tires for the girlfriend. Her little Prius has been sliding all over the place with its stock 15 inch tires. Nokian Happa R2s should hopefully prevent her sliding out in the upcoming blizzard.

Got a pair of LL Bean Duck Boots for Christmas. I've wanted a pair for years; they seem like a really versatile snow boot.

LG Google TV 55 inches. My old TV was just too tiny and pathetic to watch football on and it was cramping my style. The Google TV is really amazing. I use Smart TV functionality nearly as much as I use cable programming.

A 2ft stack of GMAT books. My progress at work has been moving nicely, but I think that I will eventually need an MBA to continue the climb.

Gardens of the Moon - Malazan Book of the Fallen #1. I read on the book forum here that this was a really solid series. It's been a long time since I've read a good fresh fantasy book. This should hold me over until the next Stormlight Archives book comes out in March.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Damn man, hell of a fantastic price on that board. Good luck with the GMAT books - a buddy of mine just self-studied his way through the CFA and (uh, whatever the next one is.. ciisp?) and basically went on a two week bender when he finally passed. Thus, study hard so that you can drink like a viking!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The only upside to a smart TV would be for people who are completely technologically inept and switching input sources to another HDMI channel is too difficult for them. That is basically my parents. If they can't use the 1 TV remote to do something, they basically can't do it. They can't even handle a separate remote for their DVD player.

But yeah, otherwise that $30 Chromecast easily replaces the couple hundred dollar markup for the smart features of a TV.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What constitutes a "smart TV"? Aren't these apps just becoming standard features on TVs at this point?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Also, the Smart functions suck even more if you don't have an amplifier and are using something like an amplified speaker bar. You'll end up connecting your DVR/Speaker bar/TV using HDMI-DEC, and then find out that the internal tuner for the smart apps can only push sound via the internal TV speakers. Only work around is to connect an optical audio cable from the TV to an optical input on the speaker bar, and then change the input on the speaker bar each time because HDMI audio can't be transcoded by the TV to go over the optical.

EDIT: Soygen SMART TV is basically a bunch of apps built into the TV like facebook, a browser, Skype, Netflix, VUDU, etc. I only used mine for VUDU until I got a Roku which was a lot easier to make work with my sound bar and Logitech remote.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Basically Smart TV's are TV manufacturers trying to be dickholes to mark up TV prices and then google smacked them with their double penis

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Its getting so you cant even buy a new tv with out smart features. I now stream direct from my computer to my TV with Samsungs allshare. Its pretty sweet actually to not have to use another program, other than using the allshare media server on my comp. Just change the source to Allshare and I can view/play all my files. I have yet to find a video type it wont play. I was a huge step up from my admittedly outdated PS3.

I pulled the trigger on the home stereo yesterday, will set it up tonight as they had to order in some speakers as they only had the demos in stock and would not give me any $ off for the demos!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I don't know about now, but a couple of years ago when I was buying a new TV, a big issue with all the Smart TV was that all of the data was routed through a manufactures servers first. I just read an article recently about how Samsung was basically collecting data on what you were watching (but can't remember where I read it). Now the collecting data thing is nothing new, it's not like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc aren't all doing the same thing, but when it makes the apps run like shit that is a problem.

My Dad has a Panasonic Smart TV and pretty much every app (MLB.tv, Netflix, etc.) on the TV all run like shit when going through the TV, loading all the time, only low quality feeds, etc. His Roku and Chromecast work perfectly.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Its getting so you cant even buy a new tv with out smart features. I now stream direct from my computer to my TV with Samsungs allshare. Its pretty sweet actually to not have to use another program, other than using the allshare media server on my comp. Just change the source to Allshare and I can view/play all my files. I have yet to find a video type it wont play. I was a huge step up from my admittedly outdated PS3.

I pulled the trigger on the home stereo yesterday, will set it up tonight as they had to order in some speakers as they only had the demos in stock and would not give me any $ off for the demos!
Umm, why didn't you just use DLNA on your PS3 along with any media player on your PC to spool movies/music from your PC to your TV?

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I couldn't have done less diligence in the purchase of my TV. I basically went to BJs to get some food for the apartment, saw the TV and pulled the trigger. I'm sure the Chromecast handles 95% of what the Google TV does. That said, I love the functionality. The voice recognition on the LG remote works very well and the qwerty keyboard on the back is great. Going from my old TV (42in LED with no feature or USB) to the much larger Smart TV has been great. Probably wasted a bit of money, but not really filled with regrets about it.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Damn man, hell of a fantastic price on that board. Good luck with the GMAT books - a buddy of mine just self-studied his way through the CFA and (uh, whatever the next one is.. ciisp?) and basically went on a two week bender when he finally passed. Thus, study hard so that you can drink like a viking!
I've taken the CFA before, brutal exam. Studying for the GMATs is a lot easier by comparison. A little apples and oranges, but the sheer volume of material on the CFA is unbelievable. The CIISP is for IT security professionals, a friend of mine has one. He actually works for blizzard now doing IT security work for them. I feel you though, there are a ton of investment related exams with similar names: CIMA, CIMS, CPFIM, CCIM. After a while, I stepped back and really looked at the sheer time investment of the CFA and realized that its value for the time you put into it is fairly lopsided. I have immense respect for anybody who has passed all three levels, but it doesn't open nearly as many doors as it should for its difficulty level.