The Simpsons

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Post year 2000 Lisa Simpson is the worst character in literary history, change my mind.

Only if a former incel substitute maths teacher from the Midlands with a hair fetish doesn't count as a "literary character"

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not really sure what you're on about here. The panda rape episode is far and away the worst episode in the history of a show renowned for decades of mediocrity, and the lady gaga episode was the show unironically becoming the exact thing it had been created to satirize. I don't need to keep putting shit in my mouth to remind myself that it tastes like shit.

But against my better judgement I did exactly that last year, gave the Simpsons a try again. Wasn't 34 but somewhere in the early 30s, and it was the same mediocre garbage it had been for those aforementioned decades. Sorry that my giving them another chance didn't coincide with the brief moment of success that they'll undoubtedly fail to recreate in season 35.
I never said that the show didn't suck for a long time. You understand what a "comeback" is?

Season 33 was the start of the good shit. Wouldn't be surprised if a random season 30-32 episode really blew.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I popped back some time during the late season 20s and it seemed...fine? I caught the 2022 IT parody and the Treehouse of Horror episode and again they were...fine?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Not really sure what you're on about here. The panda rape episode is far and away the worst episode in the history of a show renowned for decades of mediocrity

Oof. The show had been coasting off the fumes of its prior brilliance for a while by that point, and I was still half-heartedly hanging in there out of some combination of habit and loyalty, but I explicitly remember watching that episode when it premiered and saying "Whelp, that's it. I'm done". I don't think I've watched a new one since...well, maybe by "accident" because it happened to stay on in the background after a football game or something.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
people still watch this?
I do. New Treehouse of Horrors was last week, was decent. Rest of this season has been so-so so far tho. Last season had some pretty good episodes. Particularly episode 2 from last season was gnarly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Er, episode 3 i mean. Title is Lisa the Boy Scout but the episode is actually kind of like a cross between 22 Short Films About Springfield and Rick & Morty's Interdimensional Cable. Some good fan service for long time fans in some of the clips.

Other good episodes from recent seasons... Show has gotten better the last few years in general. Still not as good as the early days but definitely better than it was for those 20 years in the middle.

Season 32
2 I, Carumbus (alternate versions of the Simpsons in ancient Rome)
3 Now Museum, Now You Don't (three short stories of the family as famous painters)
4 Treehouse of Horrors
8 The Road to Cincinnati (Skinner and Chalmers odd couple road trip episode)
15 Do Pizza Bots Dream of Electric Guitars (some good 90s nostalgia)
17 Uncut Femmes (Chief Wiggums' wife and Marge do an Oceans 11 style heist)
19 Panic on the Streets of Springfield (Benedict Cumberbatch voices a Morrissey parody)

Season 33
3 Treehouse of Horrors
4 The Ways We Were (Moe's midget girlfriend Maya comes back)
6&7 A Serious Flanders (Flanders in a Fargo-ish two part episode)
10 A Made Maggie (Fat Tony becomes Maggie's godfather)
17 The Sound of Bleeding Gums (Lisa meets Bleeding Gums Murphy's son)

Season 34
The aforementioned episode 3
5 Not It (Stephen King's It parody)
6 Treehouse of Horrors
13 The Many Saints of Springfield (Flanders gets caught up in Fat Tony's mob)
17 Pin Gal (Albert Brooks re voices Jacques Marge's old bowling teacher from one of the really early seasons)