The Sopranos

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anyone on this forum could have been decent in The Deuce role. Whether its myself, Zyzzyzzy, or Astrocreep it matters not. Each and every forum member would have fared well save for Vanessa.

He has no acting experience to step into the shoes of James Gandolfini.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Pretty sure most of us could play our dad in some garbage prequel to a show that fell off the rails 3 seasons before it finally ended.

Eh, maybe I'm just bitter by how bad that show got towards the end. It was so good at the beginning too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure most of us could play our dad in some garbage prequel to a show that fell off the rails 3 seasons before it finally ended.

Eh, maybe I'm just bitter by how bad that show got towards the end. It was so good at the beginning too.

I also don't really like the "I'm the actor's son, I have rights" idea. The Sopranos is what it is mostly because of its casting choices. That said, David Chase is spearheading the project, and he's quite known as extremely controlling regarding its creation. Though on the other hand, David Chase is now 20 years older, maybe he has the "Ridley Scott Syndrome", when your bare name allows you to walk on stage on slippers, barbling stuff and overheading 2nd-3rd unit crews while posing for interviews.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
David Chase showed his ineptitude by around season 3.

He's a dink.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
David Chase showed his ineptitude by around season 3.

He's a dink.

While we'd probably come to a consensus regarding David Chase being a dink in general, I strongly disagree about your opinion regarding season 3. Most of its episodes aren't written by Chase, some of them put the light on both Terence Winter (Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl) / Tim Van Patten (Deadwood, Rome) work. Also there's the episode written by Michael Imperioli and the utterly praised Pine Barrens episode, written by Steve Buscemi, which is one of the most acclaimed TV show episode ever.

Season 3 wise, Chase wrote the season premiere with the FBI / Adriana tennis lessons stuff, the episode with Tony's mother death and the season finale (Jackie Jr getting clipped, AJ and the militay school stuff, Adriana and the Feds, etc). Those are milestone episodes, they're in my opinion top notch material, a lot of stuff happens, sometimes in a definitive way, Chase being known as attached at his characters to the bone and being a story conservative, I think there's no room saying he "dinked" the season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Just rewatched the series over the past few months. Motherfucking Johnny Cakes. Goddamn, what a terrible sub-plot.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
While we'd probably come to a consensus regarding David Chase being a dink in general, I strongly disagree about your opinion regarding season 3. Most of its episodes aren't written by Chase, some of them put the light on both Terence Winter (Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl) / Tim Van Patten (Deadwood, Rome) work. Also there's the episode written by Michael Imperioli and the utterly praised Pine Barrens episode, written by Steve Buscemi, which is one of the most acclaimed TV show episode ever.

Season 3 wise, Chase wrote the season premiere with the FBI / Adriana tennis lessons stuff, the episode with Tony's mother death and the season finale (Jackie Jr getting clipped, AJ and the militay school stuff, Adriana and the Feds, etc). Those are milestone episodes, they're in my opinion top notch material, a lot of stuff happens, sometimes in a definitive way, Chase being known as attached at his characters to the bone and being a story conservative, I think there's no room saying he "dinked" the season.

Jr death was a mistake not a feature of the finale.

Chase admitted he was very very torn and held out on that decision until the opportunity to shoot it wouldn't be possible.

To this day Chase isn't 100% sold that whacking Jr was the right decision. When asked to defend the decision he falters and alludes to the writing just not being there to keep him alive.

He made a conflicted decision under duress, and when you do that-- yep, you dinked it.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Just rewatched the series over the past few months. Motherfucking Johnny Cakes. Goddamn, what a terrible sub-plot.

If you like, you could cut from Vito wiping his dirty fingers on his pants to rear ending the guy at the mailbox. Everything in between is Vito's fantasy, like Tony's coma.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You know, the more that I think about it, this ending to this show was perfect.

We still had all kinds of new plots going on, instead of them just trying to wrap them all up. So the show just ends with all these plots still happening in the background. We don't find out what happens with any of them, but that's alright. We didn't have to see them horribly butchered in front of our eyes to fit into the countdown clock of episodes.

That's the biggest issue with GoT. They aren't going to introduce any new stories at this point because it's over and we know it's over. They had a limited amount of time to wrap everything up and offer the audience some type of closure, even if it wasn't what they wanted.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
It annoys me that we never found out what happened to the crazy bad ass Russian that ditched Paulie and Christopher in the woods.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah. He was tough. Probably built a put-put golf windmill to live in next to a lake so he can eat the ducks that nest there (once they fly North after the snow melts).

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just finished binging this whole show. It was ok. I honestly hated every character. Christopher was the worst followed by Janet and then the kids. The only character that was some what likeable by the end was Junior. Silv wasnt bad but he never really did anything either. I didnt hate the ending as much as other people. But I definitely dont see how this was so critically acclaimed.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I just finished binging this whole show. It was ok. I honestly hated every character. Christopher was the worst followed by Janet and then the kids. The only character that was some what likeable by the end was Junior. Silv wasnt bad but he never really did anything either. I didnt hate the ending as much as other people. But I definitely dont see how this was so critically acclaimed.
I'm not going to waste a ton of time on this low IQ analysis but here's a few bulletpoints:
  • Sopranos is from a point in time where almost all TV shows and movies had clearly defined "good guys" and "bad guys". Sopranos broke that mold and explored characters on a much deeper level. In 2020 this is pretty much the standard for serial TV dramas but in 1999 it certainly wasn't. Sopranos pushed the industry in that direction.
  • If you just got done watching the entire series and didn't find Bobby Baccalieri to be likeable you're a fucking retard and your opinion isn't worth shit.

Edit: I’ll add that part of the appeal of Sopranos is how well it captures that grimey vibe of North Jersey and the Italian-American culture and if you’re not from a northeast city where you’ve been exposed to that I can see the show being less engaging.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Soprano's was made just before the shift away from episodic narratives to full serial dramas. I think it suffers a little bit for this. For me it's definitely not "best TV ever" or even in my top 3.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not going to waste a ton of time on this low IQ analysis but here's a few bulletpoints:
  • Sopranos is from a point in time where almost all TV shows and movies had clearly defined "good guys" and "bad guys". Sopranos broke that mold and explored characters on a much deeper level. In 2020 this is pretty much the standard for serial TV dramas but in 1999 it certainly wasn't. Sopranos pushed the industry in that direction.
  • If you just got done watching the entire series and didn't find Bobby Baccalieri to be likeable you're a fucking retard and your opinion isn't worth shit.

Edit: I’ll add that part of the appeal of Sopranos is how well it captures that grimey vibe of North Jersey and the Italian-American culture and if you’re not from a northeast city where you’ve been exposed to that I can see the show being less engaging.
You are correct about Bobby. He was likeable and you do feel bad for him throughout the show. The most tragic storyline was of Adrianna. How abusive Christopher was to her was just gut wrenching and she came back every time. I almost had to stop watching the show because of that.

I am from the west coast so no I do not know anything about jersey culture lol.