The Stand

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I finally got around to episode eight and it's just bizarre. I have no idea why we did an Idiocracy + Final Destination homage to close out New Vegas. There's some alright stuff in here and it's nice to get to spend some more time with Lloyd but could we take all the money spent on this Vegas stuff and instead have more and longer episodes that are primarily character driven?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Spoiler for real about Randal Flagg, Dark Tower, etc.

Seven books in to the Dark Tower series he is jobbed out by a brand new villain that kills a main character before immediately dying themselves. There is never a final confrontation between the Gunslinger and the Man in Black. Fuck everything about that fucking book.

There's never been a bigger fuck you than what King did to Roland and the entire Dark Tower series after book 4. If anyone is just starting that series, stop after 4, and make up an ending. Anything you come up with will be better than what 'ol Steve shit out.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There's never been a bigger fuck you than what King did to Roland and the entire Dark Tower series after book 4. If anyone is just starting that series, stop after 4, and make up an ending. Anything you come up with will be better than what 'ol Steve shit out.

What, you don't like a kid that has never been seen in the entire series with not but one or two lines of dialogue in another 1000 page book coming through a magic door and erasing the meta villain of the entire King multiverse and doing so in the final pages of the final book?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i know what you're going to say. you're gonna say after book 4, King put his other book characters and himself in his novels and so the series jumped the shark. i have heard this argument over the last 20 years on various message boards . let me just say, i understand the argument and would sort of agree that it ended up a bad idea, BUT it was an interesting concept at the time and i was anxious to see how it panned out so it was only a bad idea when all was said and done IMO. i would also like to add, that elements from other SK books were included in earlier books of the series. the "It" turtle from book 3. the references to the Stand in Book 4 as well as Flagg himself. so you like books 1-4? then you were ok with King going meta even back then.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
For inserting himself as a character a bit I didn't think it was poorly done. He took a big risk in even doing it and I think it comes out fine. What bothers me isn't the meta nature as much as how he shits on his own work towards the end of the series. Oh, Insomnia is "thin" you say. It's a fictional story with approximations of people and themes filtered through the vessel of Stephen King from the turtle or whatever. It's not "true" in the same way the Dark Tower series is. All these connections between the books aren't literal in the sense we all thought they were. They're metaphorical or approximate. They're double fiction.

I'm more bothered that King made up a fictional organization that combs through his works looking for references to the Dark Tower. Yes, your fans are invested in the thing you are doing. Why are you making fun of them? And what difference does it make anyway given how you wrap all this up? Is every single character we ever see ever also in some kind of purgatory? What the fuck are we even doing here.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
For inserting himself as a character a bit I didn't think it was poorly done. He took a big risk in even doing it and I think it comes out fine. What bothers me isn't the meta nature as much as how he shits on his own work towards the end of the series. Oh, Insomnia is "thin" you say. It's a fictional story with approximations of people and themes filtered through the vessel of Stephen King from the turtle or whatever. It's not "true" in the same way the Dark Tower series is. All these connections between the books aren't literal in the sense we all thought they were. They're metaphorical or approximate. They're double fiction.

I'm more bothered that King made up a fictional organization that combs through his works looking for references to the Dark Tower. Yes, your fans are invested in the thing you are doing. Why are you making fun of them? And what difference does it make anyway given how you wrap all this up? Is every single character we ever see ever also in some kind of purgatory? What the fuck are we even doing here.
that was later, yeah and he shit up a few non Dark Tower books with his Crimson King stupdity and he even fucked up the Talisman sequel, Black House. Insomnia was a King novel that was so bloated, i think i only read it 3 times and that was because i was looking for DT clues. its not a good novel. somnebody should have smacked him a good one for writing such a huge fucking book for a simple story. man cant fall asleep so he starts tripping balls and sees shit nobody else can see. he ends up seeing future events and fucks with destiny in order to stop some. i liked the concept of the grays and the strings people have, but it didnt need to be a thousand pages.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I read it once and liked it, especially the ending (the very very ending) but when I tried to go back to I wasn't sure why. That book is such a fucking monster.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I read it once and liked it, especially the ending (the very very ending) but when I tried to go back to I wasn't sure why. That book is such a fucking monster.
the sad part is, it does have a good ending. i did like it the first time. mostly anyway. its just so much to read and doing that shit 3 times wears your ass out. its not like they had a lot of characters. just his 2 friends and a single mother with a few other characters sprinkled in for flavor. the Susan Dey shit really brings the flow of the whole story down to a crawl. they didnt need that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I see I wrote that weird. I still like the ending. Get fucked
Atropos
you fuck.
those guys were cool. i called them grays, or in the book they were "bald doctors". they had scissors to cut the strings of people and they died soon after. cool concept. lol i'm not fighting you on that, but they werent in the book enough and it was a long slog to get to those cool parts with dumb shit about abortion rights and domestic violence. King was on a domestic violence kick during the 90s. he wrote several books on the subject in a few short years. i guess that was when he started becoming "an activist". i just wanted a cool story bro.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I just meant the way I wrote that looked "I really liked the ending and then later when I went back I didn't like the ending." Thinking too hard about things.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
the crimson king as done in insomnia was better than all the crimson king incarnations that came afterwards.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
What, you don't like a kid that has never been seen in the entire series with not but one or two lines of dialogue in another 1000 page book coming through a magic door and erasing the meta villain of the entire King multiverse and doing so in the final pages of the final book?

also, instead of continuing with this super villain portrayed in other books as having all kinds of crazy magic powers, manifesting as weird creatures and ability to travel between dimensions, let's make it into an old screeching man throwing bombs from a balcony.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
was i the only one who when they heard Insomnia the movie was coming out with Al Pacino starring that it was based on the SK book?

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
also, instead of continuing with this super villain portrayed in other books as having all kinds of crazy magic powers, manifesting as weird creatures and ability to travel between dimensions, let's make it into an old screeching man throwing bombs from a balcony.
it reminded me of Donkey Kong.
giphy.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
also the worst thing about the dark tower ending is that king KNEW it was shit when he put it out. after Susannah gets the "good ending" (and everyone else dies), he interjects in the story and basically writes "so, dear reader, why don't you just put down this book and pretend that was the real ending? because you're gonna be disappointed. oh you want to carry on? well, fuck you then, don't say I didn't warn you".

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That warning is so fucking stupid. Ha HA! The story you thought you've been reading (some of you for 22 years) isn't what you thought it was! Oh, that story? The final journey where Roland blows the horn? You get one paragraph of that and then we out here's the poem.

Maybe, just maybe you should have told that story? The one we thought we were on and invested in?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That warning is so fucking stupid. Ha HA! The story you thought you've been reading (some of you for 22 years) isn't what you thought it was! Oh, that story? The final journey where Roland blows the horn? You get one paragraph of that and then we out here's the poem.

Maybe, just maybe you should have told that story? The one we thought we were on and invested in?
it could have been worse, he could have gotten his dumb ass killed for jogging on the highway like Gage in Pet Sematary. then all we would have gotten was Book 4 and maybe one of his faggot sons would have released notes for a quick cash grab.