The Stand

Cybsled

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Stand

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action & Adventure, Drama

First aired: 2020-12-17

Creator: Josh Boone, Benjamin Cavell

Cast: Alexander Skarsgård, Amber Heard, Odessa Young, James Marsden, Owen Teague, Brad William Henke, Whoopi Goldberg, Henry Zaga, Jovan Adepo, Daniel Sunjata, Eion Bailey, Katherine McNamara, Hamish Linklater

Overview: In a world mostly wiped out by the plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil, the fate of mankind rests on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abagail and a handful of survivors. Their worst nightmares are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the Dark Man.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Went through the unabridged version of the book during the winter when the videos of Coronachan started coming out of China, wasn't bad. The original TV miniseries was decent for its time. I'm moderately interested in seeing how this one turns out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to be a fan of Whoopie Goldberg. I am not of late. I am curious about this as I do like the story and enjoyed the first one enough. That being said, I am going into this with the eyes wide open. The new Hollywood awareness that now appears to permeate all production has me cautious at best. Lets see how mixed the cast will be.

Moon; that spells SJW

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
If there is an overall curse on movies made from novels, Stephen King has it...

This remains my favorite of his novels. I have read it several times. That being said, sometimes, when something is amazing as a novel, it may be best for it to remain as one. There's just too much happening in that book to translate well enough to a film without seriously compromising the original text. That, in addition to it being a 1970's novel, and just being a huge tome, will kill it in it's SJW, new-millennial adaptation.

I'll see it, but I suspect I will wish I never read the novel when I do...

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
lol, Amber Heard and Whoopi Goldberg. I'll bet $10 this is absolute trash. Whoopi is right up there with Rosie O'Donnell for fat liberal fucks that I wish death upon daily in my nightly prayers.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
The original mini-series was one of the few King books translated to screen that wasn't dog shit. Corny, but a strong cast made it good. I'm 100% sure this remake will be garbage. Fucking CBS All Access, hope it gets the Discovery treatment to ensure it is laughably bad.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to be a fan of Whoopie Goldberg. I am not of late. I am curious about this as I do like the story and enjoyed the first one enough. That being said, I am going into this with the eyes wide open. The new Hollywood awareness that now appears to permeate all production has me cautious at best. Lets see how mixed the cast will be.

Moon; that spells SJW

It's become so bad that I pretty much don't even bother trying to watch new shows anymore. They overload them with SJW shit and ruin IPs with garbage that was never in the originals. I wouldn't mind if it was just a few shows, then the SJW stuff would be interesting, different. But when EVERY show covers the same fucking ground over and over and over again I just say fuck it. Would rather watch Gilligan's Island.

The book was good, the original tv show wasn't bad. This could be a cool remake, but they will fuck it up.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Moon; that spells SJW

Used to LOVE Whoopie, but her supporting Roman Polanski, and then later getting super woke... And hell, this particular role isn't made for an actor like her to begin with. Then add in Amber Heard?

I'm sure I'll enjoy this like I do so many other films - reading the plot on Wikipedia. Though in this case, to see what they added/changed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
just what people need. a tv show with actors pretending to deal with a pandemic. hopefully they make Flagg the cause of it and he gets played like a Trump figure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just what people need. a tv show with actors pretending to deal with a pandemic. hopefully they make Flagg the cause of it and he gets played like a Trump figure.
flagg?
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I dont get it. From the brief shots in the teaser, it would appear that not only did they actually cast white guys for Flagg, Nick, and Stu, but they actually even cast a white girl for Frannie. How did this happen? A 2020 remake with no race swapping for woke points?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Used to LOVE Whoopie, but her supporting Roman Polanski, and then later getting super woke... And hell, this particular role isn't made for an actor like her to begin with. Then add in Amber Heard?

I'm sure I'll enjoy this like I do so many other films - reading the plot on Wikipedia. Though in this case, to see what they added/changed.

I'm doxxing you, Ted Danson!

• 1Worf

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I dont get it. From the brief shots in the teaser, it would appear that not only did they actually cast white guys for Flagg, Nick, and Stu, but they actually even cast a white girl for Frannie. How did this happen? A 2020 remake with no race swapping for woke points?

No possible way they would cast literal Satan as anything other than white male.

• 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Wait a second, Flagg is not Satan, he's like half demon, right?

I guess it was the Dark Tower series where they explored his origin and nature but I thought he was half demon, half human, not Satan himself. Any DT experts care to confirm/correct this?

• 1Salty

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wait a second, Flagg is not Satan, he's like half demon, right?

I guess it was the Dark Tower series where they explored his origin and nature but I thought he was half demon, half human, not Satan himself. Any DT experts care to confirm/correct this?

Flagg is indeed a half-demon son of Merlin. Who in the King-Verse was a primordial entity of chaos and intentionally destroyed the ancient world. Then fucked off to be a vagrant drunkard for several thousand years for no reason.

There is no Satan in the greater king-universe that Flagg is a part of. That said, if Flagg is not a Trump Clone I'll be disappointed.

You gotta keep in mind here that while the Dark Tower series does tie most of King's works together it was all written after the fact. King never used direct embodiments of any distinctly Christian demons like Satan.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It has been decades since I read the actual book, but I remember it being pretty nebulous about who Flagg really was...yet I always thought the implication was definitely more towards the "bigger evil" end of things vs. whatever that half-demon son of Merlin stuff is about (I'll be honest, I gave up on The Dark Tower series really early and never went back, even after devouring many King books in my youth). Not saying he was Satan per se, but something nearer to that than not. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I always thought of him as "a" devil type being, even if not "the" devil.

EDIT: I meant to say, when taking nothing but this actual novel as evidence. Sure later books might have clarified a lot, but if all you read is The Stand, the above is how I think most people (or maybe just me) would come away feeling.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database