The Terror

Caliane

getting to this now.

Its definitely a real departure from s1.

Budget is way way down. The intense visuals of the arctic, the ships etc.. gone. just some camps... Pearl harbor happens, and its just a siren, and cut to 2 weeks later.

Instead of a the creeping dread of the massively inhospitable environment. you just have some shame and embarrassment of putting Americans into camps.
The supernatural horror is also much more tame. again, the whatever the fuck the wendigo, bear thing was... vs a vengeful ghoul/yokai. The ghoul is even just walking around like a person most of the time.

This one is mostly a family drama.

There is also alot of modern speech, and expressions that feel both out of place, and again lazy in a way S1 was not.
It also does that historical setting deal where like you have 10 characters, and to show the bad things that happened to these people every bad thing happens to them. when in reality, it was 10 bad things spread out among 90,000 people.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
it was not a good season by any metric that you can apply to it.

The most interesting failure that I got out of it was that they copied the first in having a historical setting and premise but, unlike the first, we could follow history verbatim up to a point where records ceased to exist then inject ghost bear story and cannibalism to tie up loose ends whereas in the second season they took a very well documented time and just chunked a ghost story into the middle of it for no reason.

They even proudly show you all of the actual people that they copied or created amalgams of in the closing credits of the last episode so on top of just telling a bad story they mar the legacy of all of these Japanese Americans and war veterans by forever tying them to this crap ghost story as some kind of misguided tribute.

This should have been one and done and left it at being based off of Simmons' book and the well thought out story that he created because when they went off on their own with this one they struggled with cohesion and structure.

Can't wait for the next season where a whiskey ghost mercilessly kills Native Americans or a trans owlkin group is haunted by rampant social anxiety in the forests of Oregon

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
If they wanted pseudo-horror historical stuff, they should have just ripped more work from Simmons. Abominable could work, so could Black Hills. Both with hints of/outright supernatural happenings.

Then again, I doubt they will get a third season with how abysmal the ratings were for season two.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I couldn't get past the 3rd episode of Season 2, which is a shame because the wife and I binged Season 1.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Just finished S1 and loved it but it sounds like I shouldn't bother with the second.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Season 2 is a production failure on a industrial level, everything is abysmally bad: story is herp derp vengeful ghost, characters are NPCs doing their daily routine, waiting for the plot to hit them and WW2 interment of japanese americans is just an excuse to feature "minorities" and forced drama.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
That's a shame. First season was pretty good, was close to being great, I was hopeful that they learned a bit and nailed it for Season 2. I'll give it a shot but this doesn't sound promising. I think Season 1 was boosted more than it should have been with an excellent bit of acting, sounds like that is missing here.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Season 1 had top tier actors: Jared Harris (Mad Men, Fringe, The Expanse), Ciaran Hinds (Rome, Munich, Game of Thrones), Tobias Menzies (Rome, The Shadow Line, The Night Manager also GoT) and pretty good second roles. Season 2 has George Takei from Star Trek and Cristina Rodlo from Too Old To Die Young. Season one was about survival, season two was about ghosts.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I haven't watched the second season, but I imagine that is also suffers from not having such an exotic situation as the first season. You have a location that is not only largely unknown to the viewer, but also terrifying due to its core aspects. You also have a historic journey that ended in an unknown way to drive the "what happened to these people" hook.

When I saw what season 2 was about, I think my reaction was "meh"

gak

<Gold Donor>
Glad to hear it didn't get better, only made it a few minutes in before bailing on this trash.

a.gif

fat12

Trakanon Raider
Season 1 had top tier actors: Jared Harris (Mad Men, Fringe, The Expanse), Ciaran Hinds (Rome, Munich, Game of Thrones), Tobias Menzies (Rome, The Shadow Line, The Night Manager also GoT) and pretty good second roles. Season 2 has George Takei from Star Trek and Cristina Rodlo from Too Old To Die Young. Season one was about survival, season two was about ghosts.

Half the cast was in Chernobyl as well!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like