The Thing (1982)

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It’s just fun to talk about the theories.

I always liked to believe they killed it and both were not the thing. I say this because having watched Carpenter, Russell, and David talk in interviews and commentary, only Carpenter leaves it up in the air as he should. Both Kurt/David think their characters were human. When they acted that scene they both in their own words did it as if they were humans.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Gotta say this burst of discussion about this movie was unexpected and cool.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Gotta say this burst of discussion about this movie was unexpected and cool.
Good movie is good. Probably get a similar discussion for other movies of that era just because it's right in everyone's old man wheelhouse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
maybe i or someone should start a "Movie Of the Week" thread focusing only on geezer films for GenXers

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
maybe i or someone should start a "Movie Of the Week" thread focusing only on geezer films for GenXers

My vote for the next thread: Original Terminator (plus discussion of any other Terminators, but especially the first).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Without that soup strainer its impossible to tell thats wilford brimley, until you hear his voice.

• 1Mother of God

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I bought this and I have to say it’s the best possible way too watch it currently if you love this film. (I watch it at least twice a year). It’s a upscale 4k scan.
It is not true 4k and I wish they would release a actual real one. This is the best we currently have got. I got mine off eBay cheap. The extras are nice but probably can find some of them on YouTube not sure but I know it has got everything you’d want outside of Keith David comic con interviews etc.

Extras :

Description​

DISC ONE:
2017 4K Scan Of The Feature Film
DISC TWO:
2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
Teaser Trailer
Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
TV Spots
Radio Spots
Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
DISC THREE:
Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris
The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis
Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
Behind The Chameleon: The Visual Effects Of THE THING – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle
Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of THE THING – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery
John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock And More! (SD)
Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (SD)
Outtakes (SD)
Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (SD)
Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING (SD)
Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (SD)
Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (SD)
Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (SD)

The Thing (Limited Edition Steelbook) [Blu-ray]
Also something that hasn’t been brought up is how good the score is. Without it the movie wouldn’t be a 10/10. John Carpenter always pulls off a great score because as a musician himself he knows exactly what he wants. I think this is critical to understanding why so many of his movies are classics due to his extensive knowledge of music. If you have a decent speaker setup nothing beats the opening bass line Carpenter is playing for maximum suspense.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I bought this and I have to say it’s the best possible way too watch it currently if you love this film. (I watch it at least twice a year). It’s a upscale 4k scan.
It is not true 4k and I wish they would release a actual real one. This is the best we currently have got. I got mine off eBay cheap. The extras are nice but probably can find some of them on YouTube not sure but I know it has got everything you’d want outside of Keith David comic con interviews etc.

Extras :

Description​

DISC ONE:
2017 4K Scan Of The Feature Film
DISC TWO:
2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
Teaser Trailer
Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
TV Spots
Radio Spots
Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
DISC THREE:
Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris
The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis
Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
Behind The Chameleon: The Visual Effects Of THE THING – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle
Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of THE THING – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery
John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock And More! (SD)
Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (SD)
Outtakes (SD)
Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (SD)
Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING (SD)
Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (SD)
Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (SD)
Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (SD)

The Thing (Limited Edition Steelbook) [Blu-ray]
Also something that hasn’t been brought up is how good the score is. Without it the movie wouldn’t be a 10/10. John Carpenter always pulls off a great score because as a musician himself he knows exactly what he wants. I think this is critical to understanding why so many of his movies are classics due to his extensive knowledge of music. If you have a decent speaker setup nothing beats the opening bass line Carpenter is playing for maximum suspense.

The music really is good, between Morricone and Carpenter. Morricone also did the score for The Hateful Eight, which definitely has a lot of The Thing inspiration and is worth seeing.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The music really is good, between Morricone and Carpenter. Morricone also did the score for The Hateful Eight, which definitely has a lot of The Thing inspiration and is worth seeing.
He just died recently right?

Sucks.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Uh morricone also scored the greatest westerns as well.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, he did a lot of things. I'm just spotlighting The Hateful Eight because it has other Thing inspirations behind it as well and is very worth seeing for Thing fans.

• 1Like