The Tomorrow War (2021)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I'm watching this now and not going to read any posts so flame me, whatever.

But for fucks sake they are shooting .223 which is shit for deadly fire out of 8 inch fucking barrels so its traveling like half its velocity capability. None of these chucklefuck future warriors or current time draftees made it a point to at least mention a fucking .308 16inch barrel to actually penetrate or any kind of 50 cal batteries to lay waste. They are fleshy, wtf. So many plot holes.....

...like chief and foremost:

Fuck the future, stay in the current timeline and get ready for them. We have 30 years to develop new orbital defense weapons or cold fusion freeze on site weapons or whatever.
Exactally on the last point. You KNOW where the first attacks will be. Turn those places into the black hole of mine fields/bunkers/overlapping fire. Let those alien fucks come and die in a meat grinder you have 30 years to setup. If you are willing to have a world wide draft that is a shit load of cooperation it would be WAAAAAY easier to focus that effort your effort on bunkering up and fortifying your cities. You have 30 years to build high tech fucking castles everywhere.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

You have 30 years to build high tech fucking castles everywhere.

in Pacific Rim, it took them 14 months to get the 1st Jaeger up and had over 30 of them within 5 years. they could at least have a few 1000 ED-209s :)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
in Pacific Rim, it took them 14 months to get the 1st Jaeger up and had over 30 of them within 5 years. they could at least have a few 1000 ED-209s :)
You don't even need massive super tech. WW2 era defensive fortifications would be damn near immune to these things.

Demon Hunter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a retardedly perfect explanation of multiverse. The past future Muri was crying over is now, from Dans new perspective, has been effectively terminated with a new timeline created. At least she had the idea of letting her timeline end with a chance of Dans new timeline to end the invasion.

Oh and A+ decision to:

Bring angry alien bitch to the most important facility of the human race, with hive mind simp aliens that can swim with only sporadic mine field cover and worthless drone weapons against a horde. Fucking a, my wife was like "why not electrify the perimeter. I get suspending belief, but I hate stupid human movie plots, like every zombie flick ever. Someone has to do something retarded to get to the next plot hole. Its patronizing.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is a retardedly perfect explanation of multiverse. The past future Muri was crying over is now, from Dans new perspective, has been effectively terminated with a new timeline created. At least she had the idea of letting her timeline end with a chance of Dans new timeline to end the invasion.

Oh and A+ decision to:

Bring angry alien bitch to the most important facility of the human race, with hive mind simp aliens that can swim with only sporadic mine field cover and worthless drone weapons against a horde. Fucking a, my wife was like "why not electrify the perimeter. I get suspending belief, but I hate stupid human movie plots, like every zombie flick ever. Someone has to do something retarded to get to the next plot hole. Its patronizing.
This movie is just aggressively stupid.

• 2Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This movie is just aggressively stupid.
These movies nosedive the second the action/comedy doesnt hold up because then you start thinking about how stupid the story itself is.

As far as the aliens, its pretty stupid to keep using conventional arms against them. The second you realize small arms is worthless you would bust out the chemical/biological/radiation weapons.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
As far as the aliens, its pretty stupid to keep using conventional arms against them. The second you realize small arms is worthless you would bust out the chemical/biological/radiation weapons.
We could just try convincing them that gender is a social construct....

• 2Worf

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
These movies nosedive the second the action/comedy doesnt hold up because then you start thinking about how stupid the story itself is.

Or shit just ww2 era battle rifles they used 30 06 rounds which would penetrate a damn sight better

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Or shit just ww2 era battle rifles they used 30 06 rounds which would penetrate a damn sight better

M993 and M995 would have killed them just fine, they’re in current inventory, and they work in any modern 7.62 or 5.56 NATO gun.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Mindless fun movie. As others have said there are enormous plot holes but the one thing I immediately thought was fucking millennials cannot even fight a fucking war without finding a way to come back and get daddy/mommy to help.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
At least Edge of Tomorrow incorporated the work around to humans figuring out how to win a war. They explained it all with "aliens just reset the day until they win".

This thing though, we are just left with humans are too stupid to win.

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, how did the aliens get out in the future timeline? The ice melting doesn’t explain how they activate from their sleep status. Humans must have found the ship and accidentally activated them. Finding an alien ship in ice would have been huge news.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Also, how did the aliens get out in the future timeline? The ice melting doesn’t explain how they activate from their sleep status. Humans must have found the ship and accidentally activated them. Finding an alien ship in ice would have been huge news.
Dont think that hard just think enough to know global warming = DESTRUCTION OF HUMANITY!!!!!!

Caliane

Whole thing feels like it was written by a couple middle-schoolers who just finished watching Edge of Tomorrow and Aliens and crammed together a bunch of ideas that made no sense but sounded awesome. They threw ideas together and kept one upping each other.

We'll send the worlds elite military squads into the future to fight. No fuck that. Lets draft randoms and send them off to fight in a war against aliens. I know, lets make them go fight for a WEEK! And if they live, the government pays them 100k for a WEEKS work! No fuck that the government gives them
I will say, they did send the military first. and they all died. Probably from being lead by incompetent's.
It was decent, but far from great. The biggest LOL for me was at the end when pratt said that meeting his daughter in the future really changed him. Motherfucker, you had NO character arc. The only one that came close to a character arc was his dad. You were exactly the same when you came back as you were when you left. Plus some trauma from watching your girl die. Which was retarded because if you do your job this future never happens and she doesn't die.

My wife's comment was, with only 500k people left on the earth, how the fuck was it the 500k stupidest people? No one with common sense seemed to have survived. I bet without this war in the new future, muri has an onlyfans account.

Anyway, a very interesting concept.
There was an Chris pratt learns from his future arc. in the beginning he is frustrating with not getting that job. "he was meant for something special". even breaks a mailbox over it, showing poor control over his anger. and, of course has a chip on his shoulder with his dad. so, his character becoming a drunk, bottling up his anger, and not being satisfied with his life, job, and family was set up.
now. does the story back this up? does Pratt ever actually learn to be satisfied with being a teacher? or just being a cog in the machine? uh... no.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
does Pratt ever actually learn to be satisfied with being a teacher? or just being a cog in the machine? uh... no.
Who the fuck is going to be satisfied with being a high school biology teacher under normal circumstances, let alone with the written-in-stone cataclysm looming over your head? Half of us thought we weren't going to make it to 30 at that age, and we grew up during the most prosperous time in human history. I can't imagine trying to teach a class after that World Cup scene happened. Not even mentioning that the only passionate student in his BIOLOGY class has VOLCANO-induced priapism, which is it's own little gut-punch to his profession as well.

When I was in middle & high school, I was basically a cross between Woody Woodpecker and Seth from Superbad. Sharp-tongued trailer trash with ADHD. Ain't nobody going to be satisfied with being a teacher in that age bracket.

edit: Maybe Sting in the 70s?
1625507945327.png

Caliane

find ship, explore ship, unleash monsters, die before you can report it. basically the plot of The Thing. and lots of horror movies really. The Evil Dead. find the book. unleash evil. die in a cabin without being able to warn anyone.

Caliane

Who the fuck is going to be satisfied with being a high school biology teacher under normal circumstances, let alone with the written-in-stone cataclysm looming over your head? Half of us thought we weren't going to make it to 30 at that age, and we grew up during the most prosperous time in human history. I can't imagine trying to teach a class after that World Cup scene happened. Not even mentioning that the only passionate student in his BIOLOGY class has VOLCANO-induced priapism, which is it's own little gut-punch to his profession as well.

When I was in middle & high school, I was basically a cross between Woody Woodpecker and Seth from Superbad. Sharp-tongued trailer trash with ADHD. Ain't nobody going to be satisfied with being a teacher in that age bracket.

edit: Maybe Sting in the 70s?
View attachment 361195
The Martian, and Sarah Conner.

This is in a way a big problem with the movie. As everyone points out, right from the getgo. just handing off tech, and information, and telling people to start fucking and having kids, to be ready in 30 years for the war, makes more sense the murdering hundreds of thousands of civilians, in an attempt to throw bodies at the problem.. (who are now dead, and won't be able to have more kids, to be ready to fight in the future, reducing world pop...)
The moral should have been knowledge is power. As well as prepare your children for the future. his arc should have been to go forward to learn something vital, come back, and teach it. so the kids can be the real heroes in the future.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm already trying to figure out how to raise my daughter to be like Sarah Conner without her mom realizing it. If the government wanted to subsidize that training so I could stay home and spend 40 hours a week with her as well as providing us with a ration of 1,000 range rounds a week I'd be fucking ecstatic.

"Yes honey, we train hard for the immediate threat of the white spikes, but our victory is going to come with massive casualties and a power vacuum that we must prepare for as well. Now tell me again what Machiavelli taught us of disorder and anticipating conflict while you field strip your weapon"

If you guys think I'm a cheerleader for my baby sister, you should see what happens when my baby girl becomes Lord Humungus.

Caliane

anyway. yeah. this a trainwreck. not really even a fun campy one. I don't really recommend even for a laugh.

I don't know how these scripts get made.

"we need this toxin to save the world!. ok, but then lets actually end up using explosive charges, and punching the alien queen to death." wait, what?
I thought perhaps pratt magically shifted over a few feet at the last second to land in the pool was going to be a plot point. but.. that was just bad visual fx?

• 1Like