The Tragically Hip

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
For those who might not know:

The Tragically Hip, often referred to simply as The Hip, are a Canadian rock band from Kingston, Ontario, consisting of lead singer Gordon Downie, guitarist Paul Langlois, guitarist Rob Baker (known as Bobby Baker until 1994), bassist Gord Sinclair, and drummer Johnny Fay. Since their formation in 1984 they have released 13 studio albums, two live albums, 1 EP, and 54 singles. Nine of their albums have reached No. 1 in Canada. They have received numerous Canadian Music awards, including 14 Juno Awards.

The Tragically Hip

On May 24, 2016, the band announced that Gord Downie (lead singer) had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. The band also announced that, despite Downie's condition, they would tour in that summer.

The final show of that tour (and basically the band) will be televised:

As part of the Man Machine Poem Tour, we?ve partnered with the CBC to broadcast the August 20th show live from Kingston, Ontario.
CBC is broadcasting and streaming this commercial-free show on Saturday, August 20th at 8:30 p.m. ET across CBC Television, CBC Radio One, CBC Radio 2, CBC?s YouTube channels, and CBC Music.

If you get a chance, please check them out and watch the final show.....I have been a fan since 1993 and have seen them live over two dozen times...I promise you it will be worth it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Really choked that I won't be able to catch one of their shows on this tour due to previous trips that are booked. I've seen them probably 10 times, and they always put on a great show. It'll be interesting to see how Downie performs on this tour. I don't know much about the details of his illness, but it would be sad to see him wheeled out there, barely able to perform, because he's really the only band member that's actually worth watching live. The rest just kind of stand there.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yes, they say that his condition has less than a year to live...not sure how he will be for the shows.

If there is one band that relies on it's front man, it's The Hip.

Saw them late last year in Vegas and I don't think Gord sang one song on key....and it was awesome!

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So glad i saw them in Kelowna last year (i though he was amazing, i have seen them 5+ times) I am going to avoid the circus of this tour (like i have a choice) but am very much looking forward to the live final show on CBC.

Emotiv

Silver Squire
This one really got me. The Hip are the soundtrack of Cottage season. Seeing them on Canada's Day has become a tradition of mine.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, to this day the intro to Grace Too reminds me of sitting in my hot tub in the dead of winter, smoking a bowl after playing hockey when I was 13-15. Good times.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Continuing from the previous forum.

The final show live from Kingston will be televised on August 20.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Went to the show in Ottawa tonight. It was amazing to see them one last time.

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is the stream up? Nothing on the page for me.

Edit - what the fuck, okay, youtube link works. Thanks for the bad links cbcmusic