The Umbrella Academy

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The show intro seemed to have their powers jacked up. Like Luther takes a RPG to the back no problem, Allison can make shit happen that is physically impossible, Klaus is summoning ghost soldiers to wreck shit.

I think that was Luther in his original body, not the less powerful gorilla body he has now

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I think that was Luther in his original body, not the less powerful gorilla body he has now

Unless the S2 intro was a completely different timeline where Luther never got injured in the past and sent to the moon, it was his gorilla body.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quite enjoyed it, definite step up from the first season. Five was my MVP, though Allison had the best overall story, just tied into the time period quite well. Luther and Vanya felt the weakest, though her story came around at the end with Ben\reconciling with the others. Luther's arc is so connected to the dad he mostly felt in stasis this season.

One interesting thing about Luther, which I saw on reddit, was in regards to how inconsistent his powers seem to be. When Lilah overwhelms him with strength she says, " Gotta believe in yourself, big boy." Seems plausible his strength/durability scales off his self confidence, which is basically like the Marvel character Gladiator.
That’s my interpretation of Luther’s powers as well. I also like Luther’s arc, s1 he thinks he’s important to realizing he’s the most useless of all. In s2 he sets up with Ruby as his absent father figure because he still needs daddy’s approval to standing up to sit Reginald at the end. It’s not super dramatic, but it’s waaaay better than Vanya who has the literal same arc as s1

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, same arc with different outcome. S1 was her seeking validation/acceptance, S2 was sort of the same thing but she actually finds it and as a result, can control her powers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Unless the S2 intro was a completely different timeline where Luther never got injured in the past and sent to the moon, it was his gorilla body.

You're probably right. I thought you were talking about the bank robbery from S1. I dont remember exactly what happened, just that he seemed much more impressive than he ever has since

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
it was. It was each of them at the pinnacle of their abilities. But Luther was definitely gorilla-fied.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I never watched the first season and I binged this over the past couple weeks. I enjoyed it. I think S2 is better overall.

As said many, many time. Number 5 is one impressive actor. Netflix has done well finding quality child actors between this and Stranger Things.

• 2Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Stanger thing children aren't even in the sense league as 5. He carries the show for me.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Handler's daughter was oddly hot to me for some reason.

Lila (Ritu Arya) is the brown Maya Hawke.
ritu.jpg
maya.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, so Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I are slowly consuming this as not to run out of crap we enjoy watching. We're on the episode where one of the Swedes gets Rumored. I'm conflicted now. I am feeling sorry for the Swedes. It's kinda a crappy hand they've been dealt here.

Maybe that changes in the last few episodes, I guess I'll see....

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Just finished this up. Enjoyable for the most part and as most others have said the soundtrack is the best part of the show. I preferred season 1 to season 2. Ellen Page is just fucking terrible in this and I can't stop starring at her forehead.

The lesbian story arc was extremly off putting to me for some reason and at first I thought maybe because it was just holywood shoving homosexuallity down peoples throats again. But Klaus' sexuality didn't bother me one bit and actually fit his open minded free spirit character well. I think what bothered me about it was Vanya basically coming into a family and destroying a marriage and convincing the wife to kidnap the kid from the father. The father was actually somewhat sympathetic even though he was a schmuck. Of course they killed him and just brushed that off as if thats the natural outcome for when women liberate themselves. It was a story arc that was pretty morally bankrupt and made it hard to sympathize with Vanya at all. What if Diego had dropped into a neighborhood, shacked up at a household nice enough to take him in, seduced the wife, convinced her to kidnap the child when the dad wasnt that bad and then confused and corrupted the wife enough that she ends up murdering the husband, who again wasnt that bad. I don't think we would consider his character the good guy.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just finished this up. Enjoyable for the most part and as most others have said the soundtrack is the best part of the show. I preferred season 1 to season 2. Ellen Page is just fucking terrible in this and I can't stop starring at her forehead.

The lesbian story arc was extremly off putting to me for some reason and at first I thought maybe because it was just holywood shoving homosexuallity down peoples throats again. But Klaus' sexuality didn't bother me one bit and actually fit his open minded free spirit character well. I think what bothered me about it was Vanya basically coming into a family and destroying a marriage and convincing the wife to kidnap the kid from the father. The father was actually somewhat sympathetic even though he was a schmuck. Of course they killed him and just brushed that off as if thats the natural outcome for when women liberate themselves. It was a story arc that was pretty morally bankrupt and made it hard to sympathize with Vanya at all. What if Diego had dropped into a neighborhood, shacked up at a household nice enough to take him in, seduced the wife, convinced her to kidnap the child when the dad wasnt that bad and then confused and corrupted the wife enough that she ends up murdering the husband, who again wasnt that bad. I don't think we would consider his character the good guy.
I couldn't quite put my finger on what I didn't like about the lesbian plot, but you made it clear. Looking forward to season 3!

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I didn't find the father sympathetic at all. Guy was 100% douchenozzle.

• 2Like

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't find the father sympathetic at all. Guy was 100% douchenozzle.

The character may have been a douchenozzle but he wasn't a "bad guy". He didn't beat the wife, abuse the son or even cheat on his wife. Most he was guilty of was being an inattentive husband to a bored housewife. I didn't feel like he deserved to have his marriage and family destroyed and his son stolen from him. I never once felt on Vanya's side. and knowing that I should be rooting for her but wasn't was just offputting to me If the writers would have made the guy an alcoholic womanizer that passed his wife around to his buddies at xmas parties then I don't think I would have had an issue.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're really overthinking that. That entire family was a macguffin. It was lazy writing and nothing else.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users