The Umbrella Academy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, Wife makes it clear, shes stealing money from him. is not having marital relations with him. only married him so she wouldn't have to get a job, and had been stashing money to ditch him as soon as she could, the entire time. Then of course she cheats on him.
The only "bad" things he does are a direct reaction to her abuse. They even point that out, with the drinking, and him asking Vanya if his wife still or ever loved him. hes going out and drinking, because his wife is treating him like shit.
The show tries to blow smokeup your ass, by claiming a man has all the power of the law, but thats bullshit, and if he kicked her to the curb, shed take the kid with her. nevermind the fact again, he loves her, so doing so is not an easy thing for him. While she doesn't love him, so doing whatever the fuck she wants to him, is easy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Rural Texas in the early 60s? The husband had massive amounts of legal power.

The only evil thing he did was threaten to send his kid to a state psychiatric facility as leverage. Wife was unhappy, he was mostly fine because she was doing the typical mid/early 20th century housewife bit.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you stop thinking about the lesbian story line, you’ll start thinking why a guy in rural Texas doesn’t call the fbi 45 seconds after his wife brings home a girl named Vanya.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Just finished last night:

The entire agency of time got 1-shot? Nobody decided to... idk, use their casual time travel briefcase to circumvent that? Also that's the second finale dues ex machina that gets immediately discarded in the who-gives-a-fuck pile like S1 when the moon explodes. (Oh, I have this power I've never used where we can all time travel, not just me. C'mere!)

I agree with the Vanya romance. I didn't give a shit about the wife or her story, but the dad was not sympathetic to me. It was just a whole 'just remember how good you have it ladies, the 60's sucked for you, too!' shtick combined with 'oh but it's woman saving her from her plight, not a man. How novel. You go girl(s)!'

It's a fun show, don't get me wrong. They've done a great job of fleshing out those characters while still not drowning us in exposition, and only built on that in season 2. (Take note DC) gives me hope for a decent X-men someday.

Also, the dad's a mindflayer? Sweet. I believe they're going to try and change our mind about him completely by the end of the series and I'm pretty interested to see how they do it.

• 2Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I actually like the dad. I am not sure why, he's obviously a huge asshole and a terrible father, but something about his no-nonsense take-no-bullshit approach entertains me.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
It sounds like I missed a key reveal somewhere, when do they show what the dad is?

Great show.

• 1Salty

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He's a white, affluent male. The ultimate piece of shit.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
It sounds like I missed a key reveal somewhere, when do they show what the dad is?

Great show.
In the second to last ep of season 2 he takes off his human disguise and is clearly an alien, although I seem to recall they only show him from the back. In the first season they do a brief backstory on him and its loosely implied that he is from another planet.

Cybsled

Which is kind of funny, because he is a reptilian as part of a secret government.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Nice that the finally clarified that Diego is a telekinetic...he just hasn't really exercised his power over anything but the knives.

Had a chuckle at the Sparrow academy though.

Number 5 is really amazing. They really did a smart job with casting that role.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Nice that the finally clarified that Diego is a telekinetic...he just hasn't really exercised his power over anything but the knives.

Had a chuckle at the Sparrow academy though.

Number 5 is really amazing. They really did a smart job with casting that role.

I think that Diego was my favorite character in season 2. The scene you were referencing was unexpected and a great payoff.

I was disappointed with Luthor this season because I think they are toeing the line between slapstick funny and mildly serious with him too much and falling into him just being goofy.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I like the idea they are exploring with Vanya though -- that while it's tempting to keep everything repressed it only leads to horrible things when the damn finally breaks.

All the characters seem to be 'levelling up' with respect to what they can do and how they apply their abilities. Well except Luther...he's just a big lump of pathos and comedy relief so far.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I like the idea they are exploring with Vanya though -- that while it's tempting to keep everything repressed it only leads to horrible things when the damn finally breaks.

All the characters seem to be 'levelling up' with respect to what they can do and how they apply their abilities. Well except Luther...he's just a big lump of pathos and comedy relief so far.

They've hinted at the underpinning of Luther and what he needs to do to "level up". When the mimic girl was fighting him she even explained it to him, he has to believe in himself. His insecurity level seems to be inversely affecting his power level. I suspect as he breaks his daddy approval issue blocks he will get stronger and more invulnerable. When he was at his low (seeing Allison in married to someone else) he was literally able to be beaten up by a normal (albeit it big) thug in a boxing match. Get that boy laid and a couple wins under his belt and he'll be in beast mode.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
They've hinted at the underpinning of Luther and what he needs to do to "level up". When the mimic girl was fighting him she even explained it to him, he has to believe in himself. His insecurity level seems to be inversely affecting his power level. I suspect as he breaks his daddy approval issue blocks he will get stronger and more invulnerable. When he was at his low (seeing Allison in married to someone else) he was literally able to be beaten up by a normal (albeit it big) thug in a boxing match. Get that boy laid and a couple wins under his belt and he'll be in beast mode.

I like this. And maybe next season when he “gets it” he will be a badass!