The Video Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Lolz when rrammstein gets diversity cast mandated

What I wanna know is what the fuck do the words mean because aside from translation they are just word soup to me.

You have cried a lot
In the mind apart
In the heart united

We have been together for a very long time
Your breath is cold
The heart in flames
You
I
Us
You

Germany
My heart in flames
want to love you want to damn you
Germany
Your breath is cold
so young
and yet so old
Germany

I
I never want to leave you
One want to love you
and want to hate you
Overbearing (arrogant)
Superior
to take over
to surrender
Surprising
to attack (to assault, raid, invade)
Germany Germany over everyone

Germany
My heart in flames
Germany
Your breath is cold
so young
and yet so old
Germany

Germany
Your love is a curse and a blessing
Germany
My love i cannot give to you
Germany

Germany
You
I
Us
You

Superior
Needles
Beyond-Man*
Sick of
The higher you climb, the farther you fall

Germany
My heart in flames
Germany
My breath is cold
so young
and yet so old
Germany
Germany
My love I cannot give to you
Germany

then a follow-up of:

Translation Notes:

* The term Übermensch (German for “Beyond-Man”, “Superman”, “Overman”, “Superhuman”, “Hyperman”, “Hyperhuman”) was used frequently by the Nazi regime to describe their idea of a biologically superior Aryan or Germanic master race.

From what I know, Rammstein has always been kinda...more on the liberal spectrum of politics. So seeing people get all salty over their shit is kinda odd for me, but then I mean...people change. I really wonder what the word soup translates as inside their culture.

Wurstsalat

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well, Rammstein loves to provoke and to polarize. They are clearly dissociating from racism in this song.

Germany
Germany
My love i cannot give to you
Germany

Superior
Needles
Beyond-Man*
Sick of
The higher you climb, the farther you fall

The black Lady is representing Germania in this video.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

As someone who recently had a kid get taught this bullshit I want to say it was useless now that she does actual math. Fuck who ever came up with it, all it did was make elementary school years fucking suck when she was having problems.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's extremely frustrating, but unless you have a kid who LIKES math, it's probably a lost cause.

if you teach them different math after school, they'll get pissed because you are making them learn something they don't believe they have any reason to learn. secondly, in the case that they DO catch on and even enthusiastically agree that "old math" is better, they will PROBABLY get singled out in school by the teacher. and any kid that is singled out by the teacher is going to get singled out by the kids.

this is one of those things that i think just has to work it's way out of style. i remember decades ago it was a fad that teaching a child multiple languages made them less intelligent/less capable of learning other things. now we obviously know that's the exact opposite. a child's brain is a sponge and the more information you give them, the more they retain. i guess... that's not really how sponges work, but the point stands. the kids who learn this way are going to grow up and VERY QUICKLY figure out how inefficient it is as soon as they enter any kind of work space where math is even remotely important. then they will raise an enormous racket and the common core math experiment will end.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
About to have kids in school, what happens if you circumvent the system and teach them the right way and they do that in class?

Detention?

Nothing. I do this for every kind of shitty math they teach. Funny part is they are way ahead in other subjects like reading, science, and languages. Just math and history fucking blow these days.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Common Core math methods really are amazing at getting kids to understand the concepts under the hood of the Math beast.
We're all brainwashed into not grokking it due to being taught Math like 14th century Venetian bureaucrats (which is the actual basis for how we were taught math, really) who only needed the ability to add/subtract/etc in a rote like manner in order to keep track of the Ducats or whatever it is they used.

I totally utterly understand the frustration though! I've got a 10 year old daughter and that shit is head-aching. Would that I could loan out my wife to everyone confused by the stuff. She's an Education Ph.d. and can strip out all the erronious mainly political point scoring BS that's been inserted into CC standards and explain it's value to morons like me such that I actually got it. Not that my daughters math isn't still frequently confusing to me...

Why is this convo in the Video thread?! I've got nothing to contribute here!

• 1Picard
  • 1Comrade
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Common Core math methods really are amazing at getting kids to understand the concepts under the hood of the Math beast.
We're all brainwashed into not grokking it due to being taught Math like 14th century Venetian bureaucrats (which is the actual basis for how we were taught math, really) who only needed the ability to add/subtract/etc in a rote like manner in order to keep track of the Ducats or whatever it is they used.

What the fuck are you talking about? It's basically just tricks that don't give any insight into the underlying principles. And it shouldn't matter anyways, should kids have to take a course in Gödel'ian logic in order to do basic arithmetic? I'd really like to know how far the people who designed this shit really got in math. I would bet money they didn't even take Calculus let alone graduate level Theory classes.

How about a common core solution to a calculus problem? Do you have to draw an infinite number of rectangles to find the area in a curved object?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
I totally get your reaction as I've had it. Snidely Whiplash would never lie to you is all I'll say!

• 1Comrade
Reactions: 1 user

lurker

Vyemm Raider
When my daughter was in elementary school, the battle back then was because of D'Nealian Handwriting. Not nearly as dumb as that New Math video shit, I still believe the real reason for introducing it to kids was to drive a wedge between children and their parents. There was an argument every night I tried to help her with her homework because I wasn't forming my letters the way her teacher wanted her to, although generations of us grew up doing it our old wrong way and were very capable of communicating with each other using pen and paper.

The irony is that her handwriting is the shits, today. Even she can't tell what she's written half the time.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About to have kids in school, what happens if you circumvent the system and teach them the right way and they do that in class?

Detention?
I doubt math teachers have changed enough to get past "must show your work" idiocy, so just having the right answer won't be enough for them, lol. I despised some of my math teachers who would insist on making me show my work even if I could do it all in my head.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user