The Video Thread

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The way they teach math now is stupid. In fact, it's so stupid, that they won't even send any work home, and they tell the kids it's because we parents don't know the new ways. I get the statement about how the CC way helps ease them into higher math thinking but honestly it was cool when it was 7 + ? = 18. But that shit? Fuck that noise, it's dumb and they refuse to teach any kind of memorization so my daughter who is getting ready to go into 5th grade is still counting fingers on basic addition. The reason why we still use methods learned from the 14th century? Is because no matter at what point in time you are in, be it 1319, 2019 or 3119, 2+2 will always be 4. There is absolutely no reason to change up how that fact is taught.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
listen i understand your point 100% but that's not why they don't do homework anymore. the newest theories (which actually make a decent amount of sense) is that when kids get home, it's no longer school time. that's awfully simple, but it bears explaining. you know how you go to work and you put in a good 8-10 hours depending on your job of course, then you get home and work is the last thing on your mind? that's actually considered healthy compartmentalizing. when you are at work, work should be your primary focus. when you are at home, that should be your primary focus.

someone figured out that homework was actually causing some pretty hefty problems in the long run. parents have certain expectations of their kids beyond just making sure their homework gets done and homework gets in the way of healthy homelife. the school system WANTS kids to have free time, spend time with friends, go out to a movie, play video games, listen/make some music, etc. they WANT kids to unwind after a hard day of school so that they are refreshed in the morning instead of just slogging through another day. on top of that, if you do "homework" in class and you have a question, you have the teacher sitting right there. if you do homework at home and you "don't get it" who are you going to ask? your parent who may or may not be able to currently pass 7th science? we have parents who are AGGRESIVELY stupid flat-earthers and anti-vaxxers and you think the teachers want you to get help from THOSE parents?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
AGGRESIVELY stupid flat-earthers

I was listening to ground zero radio last week and during his Q&A he landed a flat earther question. He brought up that he had been to one before so he could see what was up. One of the first things you learn is that most of the people in there fully understands that it is bunk and bullshit, but find it fun to go fuck with idiots. The lengths the idiots go to state the case for a flat earth is astounding. Aggressive is the word.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
i206cze3pgr21.png