The Video Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Almost all normal home/rental filters are 1". He mentions it sorta at the start; it's more a caveat to his testing than anything. Anything thicker is likely to filter better hah.
2" from my previous googling of why there are thicker filters, is for convenience. you'll find the 2in and thicker filters in air handlers that are located in the attic where you have to plan out a road trip to access your filter.

the regular 1" is for ppl who have ease of access, 1in vs more in does not filter better, it just takes into account you'll be lazy and say fuck it to changing filters on a regular schedule cuz the attic is hot and nasty.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
2" from my previous googling of why there are thicker filters, is for convenience. you'll find the 2in and thicker filters in air handlers that are located in the attic where you have to plan out a road trip to access your filter.

the regular 1" is for ppl who have ease of access, 1in vs more in does not filter better, it just takes into account you'll be lazy and say fuck it to changing filters on a regular schedule cuz the attic is hot and nasty.

Filtration isn't the consideration - MERV is MERV. Longevity, stress on the blower, and efficiency of pulling and pushing air into the house. A 1" MERV 13 filter raised my electric bill by $20-30/month and reduced the efficiency and speed with which it cooled down the house. A 5" MERV 13 doesn't have those issues. Also, larger filters produce less air noise if your HVAC closet is in an area that is line-of-sight to your eardrums.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elbas

Molten Core Raider

Would a HVAC system designed for a 1" filter be fine with a thicker filter? If the air return vent of a normal house had the clearance to use a thicker filter, could the homeowner use a 2" or 4" filter without damaging the HVAC system?

For example, in my house the air return vents on are the ceiling. The metal frame is designed for a 1" filter, but the airbox above the frame is pretty tall (maybe 8" from memory?). I could easily get a 4" filter in there.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't remember if this has been linked here before but this guy is doing some good work.

"Jim Browning" sends scammers his spyware, when they access his virtual machine. He usually owns their network, shortly after.

Windows support scam:

This is video of a $2 to $5 million a year scamming "company" with 30ish employees (scams US, UK, & Au). They do the Windows tech support scam, as well as some others, like Amazon billing scam. BBC Panorama picked it up and it made world news.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Would a HVAC system designed for a 1" filter be fine with a thicker filter? If the air return vent of a normal house had the clearance to use a thicker filter, could the homeowner use a 2" or 4" filter without damaging the HVAC system?

For example, in my house the air return vents on are the ceiling. The metal frame is designed for a 1" filter, but the airbox above the frame is pretty tall (maybe 8" from memory?). I could easily get a 4" filter in there.
yea that should be fine, you should be looking for whats called a "media filter" (which is usually the 2 to 4in ones), i wouldn't go all merv 13 tho, start lower like 7imo

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Filtration isn't the consideration - MERV is MERV. Longevity, stress on the blower, and efficiency of pulling and pushing air into the house. A 1" MERV 13 filter raised my electric bill by $20-30/month and reduced the efficiency and speed with which it cooled down the house. A 5" MERV 13 doesn't have those issues. Also, larger filters produce less air noise if your HVAC closet is in an area that is line-of-sight to your eardrums.
i think maybe your 1in filter just got dirtier faster? the only real difference between thicker filters is more surface area... which will eventually be gone due to getting junk in it. i mean more surface area also does mean less resistance, so you do get more airflow and theres less of a chance of choking out the fan or icing the coils.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Daft Punk just officially broke up. I first heard of them from this Groovy Girl vid around 2010.
Was doing meth at a rave when I first heard Around the World back in 98 or so. Also, this anime'ish film that was made from their music was pretty dope. Here's the final track.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Daft Punk just officially broke up. I first heard of them from this Groovy Girl vid around 2010.
this is how sad sampling is in music

the more famous kanye version

sampled from daft punk

sampled from this guy

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I remember when they first came out with Around the World and how it was playing all the time on MTV.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
This is the only video I think of every time I hear that song

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I assume I'm wrong, but #2 really does look like someone spearfishing ?skipjack? tuna in open water. Seems like a great way to lose equipment or get dragged into the depths, if that's what it is.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is the only video I think of every time I hear that song

holy shit i could smell the year this pic was taken... wow the ancient times of youtube

b300ba045581b3a8843367223cab73ce.png

• 3Like