The Video Thread

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shower thought: which is scarier: the amount of power a 600lb bear has and damage it can do, or the fact that on top of that power, they're built to WITHSTAND similar levels of punishment. Sure, these 2 animals are in the bear version of a territorial shoving match and aren't exerting anything like full ME-KILL-YOU oumpa; you or I still don't want to be there.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Shower thought: which is scarier: the amount of power a 600lb bear has and damage it can do, or the fact that on top of that power, they're built to WITHSTAND similar levels of punishment. Sure, these 2 animals are in the bear version of a territorial shoving match and aren't exerting anything like full ME-KILL-YOU oumpa; you or I still don't want to be there.

Pfft, they've got Bob Sapp levels of cardio. Just take the beating and they'll gas out.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whether you are a car enthusiast or not, this video is a fascinating watch. Harry Metcalf has been doing this for decades and his unbiased and fair assessment of motoring should be viewed by everyone. I think he's absolutely right; we need a mix of all types in order to sustain what we have.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whether you are a car enthusiast or not, this video is a fascinating watch. Harry Metcalf has been doing this for decades and his unbiased and fair assessment of motoring should be viewed by everyone. I think he's absolutely right; we need a mix of all types in order to sustain what we have.

Jesus, he's all over the place.

Starts strong, then starts doing the math on his hybrid using his self generated electricity @ zero cost; corrects and gives like-for-like figures. Then starts on his sustainable fuels breakdown, bitches about build footprint for the E-vehicles while apparently his gas and hybrid cars are magically zero build footprint. Also assumes that current e-tech is forever e-tech, ignoring that the gas vehicles, and every other tech has/is/will go through years of advancement.

You absolutely have to do math on current vs current, but you're either a fool or a shyster to ignore or pretend that the difference between a current petrol burner and (for equivalent-ish age sake) a 10-20yrs after the model T petrol burner means nothing and that battery/e-tech doesn't have *some* form of advancement in store. You may not be able or want to quantify that, but it's there.

I'm 100% ok with someone doing the math, and coming to the conclusion that this car vs that car, in Environment X, over lifetime Y, as of current factors blahblahblah, the e-car isn't there yet; that the in use footprint being smaller doesn't out-weight the manufacturing footprint.

But do the math you fucker, don't just let your hard-on for driving a 90yr old Rolls Royce a couple times a month cloud the issue and ultimately fuck up your point.

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Grimsark

Most flack when over the target and all that....

Have to say though... What little respect still lingered for the man, has just evaporated completely.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jesus, he's all over the place.

Starts strong, then starts doing the math on his hybrid using his self generated electricity @ zero cost; corrects and gives like-for-like figures. Then starts on his sustainable fuels breakdown, bitches about build footprint for the E-vehicles while apparently his gas and hybrid cars are magically zero build footprint. Also assumes that current e-tech is forever e-tech, ignoring that the gas vehicles, and every other tech has/is/will go through years of advancement.

You absolutely have to do math on current vs current, but you're either a fool or a shyster to ignore or pretend that the difference between a current petrol burner and (for equivalent-ish age sake) a 10-20yrs after the model T petrol burner means nothing and that battery/e-tech doesn't have *some* form of advancement in store. You may not be able or want to quantify that, but it's there.

I'm 100% ok with someone doing the math, and coming to the conclusion that this car vs that car, in Environment X, over lifetime Y, as of current factors blahblahblah, the e-car isn't there yet; that the in use footprint being smaller doesn't out-weight the manufacturing footprint.

But do the math you fucker, don't just let your hard-on for driving a 90yr old Rolls Royce a couple times a month cloud the issue and ultimately fuck up your point.

Well, he DID say it was only for the current tech and today's circumstances. And he also said advancements would and are being made, with all techs. He did, however, jump around a few times.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

TIL: "Warning: do NOT order a Black and Tan in Ireland! The Black and Tans were another name for the violent Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve Force sent by Britain into Ireland in the 1920s, and the drink is considered offensive and could get your ass kicked in the wrong pub. If you feel the need for a light beer and a dark beer mixed in a single glass, order a half and half."

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

TIL: "Warning: do NOT order a Black and Tan in Ireland! The Black and Tans were another name for the violent Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve Force sent by Britain into Ireland in the 1920s, and the drink is considered offensive and could get your ass kicked in the wrong pub. If you feel the need for a light beer and a dark beer mixed in a single glass, order a half and half."
Listening to old Irish songs with modern recording methods makes it sound super serious and a bit strange! Most of the old stuff sounds more fighty/rowdy.

That song found a resurgence after English comedian Stephen Coogan (as his character Alan Partridge) sung this on BBC One, in 2019, during primetime (after a Daniel Craig interview). Youtube takes down anything from BBC, so couldn't find a video of it to post; so here is a different song poking the Brits:

When I was young I used to be
As fine a man as ever you'd see
And the Prince of Wales he said to me
'Come And Join The British Army'​
Toora loora loora loo
They're looking for monkeys up in the zoo
And he says if I had a face like you
I'd join the British army​

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user