The Video Thread

Grimsark

Watching these Renaissance Weapon exhibitions has completely chattered my childhood notions of Wizards and Warriors type fantasy...

For the good or bad? Haven't decided yet.

Siliconemelons

Watching these Renaissance Weapon exhibitions has completely chattered my childhood notions of Wizards and Warriors type fantasy...

Makes me recall a line in the book Timeline - when the people are back in time they are sneaking around and come across a fight and they ponder to themselves that the sword fighting is faster more intense and shorter than they always thought... you dont sit there and beat on each other for half an hour- usualy your dead or the victor...very fast.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider

I always wish I could see people sword fighting that lived in that era. No matter how much these two guys have practiced you know they couldn't come close to some of the people and lost techniques from the era that they actually had to do this shit for real. Reminds me of the article and video I read on here awhile back about archery. There are ancient reports of archers being able to shoot something crazy like 30 arrows a minute. Most more modern experts wrote it off as impossible and a wild exaggeration, but now people are discovering some techniques that prove that it was possible. Way back when people learned that shit from early childhood from people that had generations of accumulated experience.

Also, lol at the kid throwing the plates at the very beginning of this video.