The Walking Dead

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

FTWD has been hurting and core TWD ratings are down. The real test is how TWD is going to fare when Rick and Maggie leave

Goatface

about maggie's future
apparenltly they are not going to kill her off, Cohen contract ends mid season, but showrunner said Maggies story will go on, off camera and maybe picked up later as Cohen said she could return later

FTWD looks like the whole season is only going to be down around 300k viewers from last season, but the 2nd half about 600k

Raes

Vyemm Raider
yeah, that plan will die when this guy steps down. this zombie fad is running on fumes already. they need to wait a few or 5 years before it becomes cool again. the dystopian future thing is done for now.

There's nothing wrong with popularity of the zombie genre. TWD hasn't been a show about zombies in years.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Every time this thread gets bumped I look at the thread pic and think "How the fuck is he finding time to bowl during the zombie apocalypse?"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There's nothing wrong with popularity of the zombie genre. TWD hasn't been a show about zombies in years.
the zombie genre is way done for now. this is coming from a huge zombie movie buff. its been non stop zombie movies, tv shows and vidya games for the last 15 years. it needs a timeout for a few years, try something else for a while. bring back non sparkly vampires and werewolves until there is a fresh spin on zombies

Raes

Vyemm Raider
the zombie genre is way done for now. this is coming from a huge zombie movie buff. its been non stop zombie movies, tv shows and vidya games for the last 15 years. it needs a timeout for a few years, try something else for a while. bring back non sparkly vampires and werewolves until there is a fresh spin on zombies

Firstly, zombies don't have to be some huge craze to be "popular". It doesn't need a timeout, it just needs decent writers. TWD zombies are fucking background noise that don't follow any rules and the show is mainly about walking, talking, and problems with other humans.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Firstly, zombies don't have to be some huge craze to be "popular". It doesn't need a timeout, it just needs decent writers. TWD zombies are fucking background noise that don't follow any rules and the show is mainly about walking, talking, and problems with other humans.
i think we're agreeing in different ways. zombie stuff is stale. it needs a new twist or better written plots. TWD is a poorly written drama now with zombies thrown in for flavor. which is sad, because zombies should always be the main focus.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I've given up on TWD completely but through the roller-coaster of ups and downs and the ultimate horrible season finale that made me say "I'm sorry TWD, I'm breaking up with you" I still have fond memories of this show! Hell, I have a Lucille replica made of real barb-wire hanging up in my den!

Anyway, I made this shortly after the 07-01 episode was aired because I thought that, even though the cliffhanger was lame for fans, the payoff was great and was impressively intense emotionally and gory as hell (which I always liked about TWD haha). But I immediately got a copyright strike on my JewTube channel so it's just been sitting on my hard-drive since forever until I realized that Dailymotion is a bit more lax about copyright bullshit, so... for nostalgia, if any of you guys were fans of early Negan like me (not recent Negan... what a nosedive in character), this is a vid of the entire introduction without any of the time-jumps and such!

Hopefully it won't be taken down~

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can tell how bad this show is when no one even posts after the season premiere

It felt tired.. the show is ready to be over. The story was SO boring and bland. Oh I'm tired of managing the saviours wah wah. That's the entire episode.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Wait, the show had its premier already? ROFL

I thought it was in a week... it was last night?

...and fuck, just noticed AMC took down my vid :/ Assholes.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
It was last night. I only watch It because my wife does but this felt way worse than usual
Funny... and you're right. The fact an entire evening came and went and no posts were here about it after a season premiere is very telling.

So basically all the talk and propaganda of like "oh it's a new direction for the franchise!" is really just more baloney and the show is still gliding down Boring Street going 4 mph?

Curious how history will chalk up the fall of the show. Where will the fingers of blame point to ultimately? It just feels like, much like the zombie guts the show relished in, that its success just slowly oozed out of the fingers of those who were in charge and the public interest was lost for various reasons over the course of many years, instead of one main nosedive issue, or bad exec choices, or actor leaving or whatever. That's what it seems like is making it hard to pinpoint what the problem was.

Guess it's too early to see the viewership of the premiere. If this was the lowest premiere to date, they need to wrap it up this season~

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Funny... and you're right. The fact an entire evening came and went and no posts were here about it after a season premiere is very telling.

So basically all the talk and propaganda of like "oh it's a new direction for the franchise!" is really just more baloney and the show is still gliding down Boring Street going 4 mph?

Curious how history will chalk up the fall of the show. Where will the fingers of blame point to ultimately? It just feels like, much like the zombie guts the show relished in, that its success just slowly oozed out of the fingers of those who were in charge and the public interest was lost for various reasons over the course of many years, instead of one main nosedive issue, or bad exec choices, or actor leaving or whatever. That's what it seems like is making it hard to pinpoint what the problem was.

Guess it's too early to see the viewership of the premiere. If this was the lowest premiere to date, they need to wrap it up this season~
they arent out yet, but i found this
Fear the Walking Dead's Ratings Have Collapsed After Killing Off Its Lead
it doesnt sound like TWD is gonna be knocking it out of the ballpark. the show pretty much jumped the shark for me with Glenn and his awesome dumpster escape, then they killed him off anyway. then they killed Coral, he should have taken over for rick and it could have brought in a much younger demo and still kept the oldsters.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The problem is, they should have been killing off characters all the time and bringing in new blood for a season or two, etc... Instead they had these characters forever and people just got too used to them, without them its not the same show.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The problem is, they should have been killing off characters all the time and bringing in new blood for a season or two, etc... Instead they had these characters forever and people just got too used to them, without them its not the same show.
its not a successful business model is why. even Game Of Thrones which is notorious for killing off beloved characters, they still kept the fan favorites for the entire run. we all loved Stannis The Mannis, but he was small potatoes next to Tyrion, Jon, Sansa, Arya and Khaleesi. even Ser Friendzone is impervious to death. there is no successful show with a high turnover rate of leads. there just isnt. and i dont think i would want to watch a show like that because then i wont have anything invested to continue watching it. when you catch lightning in a bottle. you dont break the bottle and try again. you milk that mofo for all its worth.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I'm probably wrong but I don't think the majority really care what actors are on this shit or what actors get killed off as long as the writing is there to back it up, which it isn't. Not only has the writing been fucking atrocious for a long time now but the "originality" and excitement has long worn off and been replaced by repetitive and predictable b-tier soap drama about playing house - which we've had for like 6 straight retarded seasons. I'm tired of watching civilization builder zombie edition where nothing ever gets done and there is no light at the end of the tunnel and I imagine most are too.

I thought this premiere was fucking awful not only as a premiere but as a standard TWD episode. Googled for quick reviews to see what others were saying and my first hit was this: The Walking Dead' continues to be the most boring show on television. Obviously don't click the link if you haven't watched the episode.

Cybsled

I don't think keeping the same characters is the issue. The issue is keeping the same characters and not having any meaningful development (which in turn makes people less interested in them), or callously killing off characters and the show/dynamic suffers for it. Killing Carl was a mistake, because you lost the Rick and Carl dynamic. Now Rick is leaving, so you lose your core anchor that helped connect a lot of the other characters.

Show has a season or so left before AMC potentially considers pulling the plug/renewing for a final season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users