The Watch

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Vote
Title: The Watch

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action & Adventure

First aired: 2021-01-03

Creator: Simon Allen

Cast: Lara Rossi, Adam Hugill, Richard Dormer, Marama Corlett, Jo Eaton-Kent, Sam Adewunmi, Anna Chancellor, James Fleet, Ingrid Oliver, Hakeem Kae-Kazim, Ruth Madeley, Bianca Simone Mannie

Overview: A group of misfit cops rise up from decades of helplessness to save their corrupt city from catastrophe. Inspired by the characters created by Sir Terry Pratchett’s famous “Discworld” novels.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

I'm only an episode in, but it's this weird magic tongue in cheek show. Im not sure how I feel about it in just one episode, but so far its good enough to mention. Comes on AMC, or you can just boot leg it pretty easy.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I like it. My wife is a huge fan of the discworld books and she's a little peeved by some of the choices. But I am unhindered by that bullshit so I'm enjoying it. It's also nice when she can fill in details they're leaving out.

Her issues are:
- Lord Vetinari should be a man
- Cheery should have a full beard and be short. She has no problem with it being a dude playing a female dwarf because a central thing about dwarves is that they have a really hard time telling the difference between the men and the women. The women don't like to shave their beards. It makes courting very confusing. I assume most people unfamiliar with the books will think this character is an SJW virtue signal, but it's not.
- Carrot should have been all over the missing book case because the dwarves worship the written word and it's a crime to throw away anything that's been written.

Daidraco

I like it. My wife is a huge fan of the discworld books and she's a little peeved by some of the choices. But I am unhindered by that bullshit so I'm enjoying it. It's also nice when she can fill in details they're leaving out.

Her issues are:
- Lord Vetinari should be a man
- Cheery should have a full beard and be short. She has no problem with it being a dude playing a female dwarf because a central thing about dwarves is that they have a really hard time telling the difference between the men and the women. The women don't like to shave their beards. It makes courting very confusing. I assume most people unfamiliar with the books will think this character is an SJW virtue signal, but it's not.
- Carrot should have been all over the missing book case because the dwarves worship the written word and it's a crime to throw away anything that's been written.
I didnt know it was based on a book / book series? at all. Glad you told me so I can look it up if I ever give myself time to read again. I also feel like there is a bit of SJW stuff going on, but its just not "in your face" in the show. But its cool to know more about how they are portraying the Dwarves.

• 1Like

Caliane

Wasnt there already a thread on this?

brah, you aren't aware of Discworld?

but yeah, theres lots of ire about this one. major liberties with the property in the name of wokeness. Rhainna prachet had nothing nice to say about it even.
Theres several other made for TV movies/series made of the Discworld stuff.
Hogfather, Going Postal, The Colour of Magic

Good omens is a Pratchet/Gaiman collaboration.

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
But good omens has nothing to do with discworld.

What were those other 3? Movies or series?

With prachett dead there's probably no one capable of reining then in.

Other than lord vetiari wat woke liberties are being taken?

Caliane

But good omens has nothing to do with discworld.

What were those other 3? Movies or series?

With prachett dead there's probably no one capable of reining then in.

Other than lord vetiari wat woke liberties are being taken?
Technically its implied Death is the same.

what are the other 3? yes. made for tv miniseries/movies. Which yes, is its own bag of worms. they take liberties of course. and budget, etc. generally fun though.

Colour of magic on amazon prime with ads.

Hogfather on amazon prime with ads.

and going postal without ads.

Thankfully Rihanna Pratchett is already on it. She’s co-director of the production company Narrativia which was launched by Terry Pratchett in 2012.

While Narrativia is an executive producer of BBC America’s The Watch, the company has no creative involvement. Recently the company partnered with Motive Pictures and Endeavour Content with plans to produce multiple Discworld series of it’s own, which are set to hold truer to the source material.
I don't really know why she didn't have creative control over this, but this suggests she will future projects.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just watched the first episode of this last night, and my reaction is similar to Daidraco's above. I am sort of intrigued but also a little worried that it might try to get more woke, or more likely, just get even crazier and harder to follow. I mean, I get what is going on (as much as I'm allowed to by the show), but I also feel like there were a few scenes that could have used a little extra to fill in some shit, or something.

The tranny dwarf doesn't bother me, and as long as they keep "her" exactly the same as now, I don't think I'll care. It is the BBC though.... Not a fan of Lady whatever her name is (the one with Goodboy), but she could be worse. The main character, the captain, is what got me to start watching, so we'll see how that goes.

The show interested me enough to download the rest of the season. Better than a lot of shows I've started before at least.

Daidraco

The show seems just "watchable". The pacing seemed fine up until about episode 4 or 5. Then its one thing after the next, back to back, quick there, quick here, etc. They could have went further into explanation on some of the places, but I guess they must be expecting their audience to have read the books. Show just seems crammed into 8 episodes and even though its not terrible, they could have done better. The first half of the season gave me some Doctor Who vibes? Maybe cause its just bbc? But I was let down by how the season wrapped up.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
They could have went further into explanation on some of the places, but I guess they must be expecting their audience to have read the books.

Caliane (or another book fan) can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's just how pratchett does it. He doesn't stop and fully explain a new thing as soon as you see it. He just drops a crazy thing on you and lets you deal with it, then later explains more about it in fits and starts.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Why is all British TV so gay and why is all their humor so unfunny?

I should know by now, if its a British fantasy or sci fi themed show its gonna be unwatchable. But I keep getting tricked.

At least I remember my mistake more quickly now. Turned it off 10 mins in. Looked like a neat show til it got all stupid and British, maybe theyll make a non-retarded American version of it someday.

• 1Edgelord
TV show information provided by The Movie Database