The Wine Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ok, fine gentlemen.

I've always felt left out by the craft beer movement, because I hate beer. I have only a few select mixed drinks that I enjoy (The cape cahddah). I avoided wine because my mother was a raging drunk that lived off boxed wine.

We got a few bottles for house-warming gifts and I spent the weekend in heaven drinking them (besides some foolish Pink Moscato that tasted like absolute fucking shit).

As a noob wine-snob I'm looking for something with no fecal notes and a mouth-feel that I don't give a shit about.

I'm going to assume that I should start with some whites and move onto reds later. Can anyone recommend some decent brands to start out trying? Which flavors are best suited to a filthy plebeian noob?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been buying boxed wine for a while now. My absolute favorite is the Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. Other than drinking that I'm drinking Sake instead of grape wine.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Don't drink wines from Europe, unless you enjoy cancer
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...7#.U-j4rPldX6J

This research determines the concentrations of various phthalates in French wines and grape spirits marketed in Europe or intended for export...

59% of the wines contained significant quantities of DBP...Only 17% of the samples did not contain any detectable quantity of at least one of the phthalates and 19% contained only non-quantifiable traces.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've been buying boxed wine for a while now. My absolute favorite is the Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. Other than drinking that I'm drinking Sake instead of grape wine.
The Black Box cabernet is fairly good too. Noodle just ignore whites and stick to reds. Unless you enjoy being a petulant, whiney faggot.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't consider myself a wine drinker, but I drink, on average, 3 - 4 glasses of red wine a week. I like wines that have more of a fruit flavor to them, and I'd suggest trying some Pino Noirs to get started. One of my favorite is Cavit Pino Noir because it's super easy to drink and doesn't have that shitty wine taste that a lot of wine snobs love. Estancia Pino Noir is another one I buy frequently.

Tenks

The Black Box cabernet is fairly good too. Noodle just ignore whites and stick to reds. Unless you enjoy being a petulant, whiney faggot.
Yeah many of the Black Box offerings are pretty decent. I generally prefer dry wines and the Bota Zin seems to be the only boxed wine that comes close to that. Most are just too fruity.

Gato Negro boxes are only $15 and are decent. I mean it kind of tastes like fruit juice mixed with anti-freeze but it isn't half bad.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I will be avoiding boxes of wine solely based on the fact that my childhood fridge had at least 3 boxes in it at all times from my drunk mother. While it may be the most practical, I want to at least pretend on the surface that I am not some drunken hag.

The worst image I have is her having the bag out of the box and lifting it above her head to get the last drops out.

I'll stick to bottles. I'll even drink it out of wine glasses and not regular old cups.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
You can get a pretty good idea of the basic characteristics of each grape by spending ~$10 on a bottle of each kind. Once you find what you prefer, then you can start experimenting (and spending more money). Go to a store and ask for help picking something decent out - to start for red: merlot, cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, pinot noir; for white: chardonnay, sauvignon blanc. Red zinfandel is actually pretty awesome as long as you don't confuse it with that pink, white zinfandel rot-gut that non-winedrinkers prefer. It's hard to make real recommendations without knowing what you like and what is available in your area.

Just like you wouldn't try out a beer by buying a whole case, I wouldn't start with boxes of wine to sample.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't see the point of buying boxed wine. You can get perfectly good bottled wine for 8 - 15 dollars each, which isn't expensive.

Tenks

I don't see the point of buying boxed wine. You can get perfectly good bottled wine for 8 - 15 dollars each, which isn't expensive.
A box holds 4 bottles (except Franzia, which is what 6?) and costs ~$20. I've tried and failed many times to find bottled wines that fight in the weight class of some of the boxed wines at comparable prices.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
These are some of our standard go to wines when we swing by the store. Most are under $20 a bottle and easy to find anywhere. I make no claims to them being award winning or best of the best in class, it is just what we've liked and grown accustom to drinking. Also not recommeding a sepcific year, just the first one that came up in Cellar Traker.

Bota Box is great because it lasts like 6 weeks too. Wine is great because my wife will have one glass and fall asleep leaving me to finish the bottle.

Mollydooker Shiraz - The Boxer
Apothic Red Blend
2006 Green and Red Petite Sirah
Michael-David Petite Petit

Meiomi Chardonnay

Mer Soleil Unoaked Chardonnay

Hmm.. I can't remember what else she buys. I pretty much just buy the Syrah/Shiraz, but there is more that we like. She knows the white wine I like but that Unoaked Chardonnay is the only one I can think of.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
As tenks said, boxed wines offer far more value than bottles in comparison to quality. And they stay drinkable a lot longer too. Plus you can take the bladder out when you go river tubing and just throw it back and forth to all your friends since it floats.

Tenks

As tenks said, boxed wines offer far more value than bottles in comparison to quality. And they stay drinkable a lot longer too. Plus you can take the bladder out when you go river tubing and just throw it back and forth to all your friends since it floats.
This sounds so amazingly trashy in the best possible sense

Vitality

HUSTLE
Damn buddy, one post into this threads life and we're bring out the box wine.

I exclusively drink Pinot Noirs, Syrahs, and red blends.

My best piece of advice is try finding some kind of wine tasting event near you or relatively close to where you're at, definitely nothing more than $50 a person.

Out here we have a "Wine Walk" on the third thursday of every month with different food themes (last months was chocolate themed). $20 a person, 15 drink tickets and free samples of chocolates at each of the locations.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Spent 2 nights in a villa at a nearby winery two weeks ago and did a wine tasting. It was totally worth it. I tend to like Pinot. Grigio or Noir, either way.

Tenks

Damn buddy, one post into this threads life and we're bring out the box wine.

I exclusively drink Pinot Noirs, Syrahs, and red blends.

My best piece of advice is try finding some kind of wine tasting event near you or relatively close to where you're at, definitely nothing more than $50 a person.

Out here we have a "Wine Walk" on the third thursday of every month with different food themes (last months was chocolate themed). $20 a person, 15 drink tickets and free samples of chocolates at each of the locations.
Look at this pinky finger out wine drinking queer we have on our hands. Too good to drink wine for the every man. Fuckin elitists.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm no expert, but have been drinking wine for a while, for business and pleasure. Here is my advice:

Finding out "what wine you like" is an expensive and subjective process. Not only do you need to taste test a lot of grapes, regions, and winemakers, but your tastes will mature and change as you go along, rendering your previous knowledge incorrect. You can certainly start enjoying wines right off the bat, but you have to accept that some of the wines you buy on recommendation you aren't going to like, and that even when you find something you do like, you aren't experienced enough to know if this is as good as it gets, and if you should still keep trying new stuff. This is what makes wine drinking expensive.

The unfortunate truth is that in the average wine shop, most of what is for sale is swill. The rare bottle that is actually good wine at a decent price is snapped up pretty fast. When wine drinkers find a new "gem", they stock up like crazy. Eventually the brand figures out that the vintage is selling like hotcakes, and the next year's vintage comes out double the price, and may possibly try to produce far more wine than the winery can assure quality. This reduces the quality of the following year's vintage, and combined with the fact that it's very difficult for a winery to maintain quality from vintage to vintage results in following vintages being subpar. The search for the next "gem" continues and the cycle repeats. Let's take the case of the macon lugny les genievres 2011 white burgundy. I was an early adopter of this wine, it sold for 15 USD a bottle and I snatched up every case I could get. When 2012 came out, it was half as good as 2011, and now 30 USD. I never bought another. The exact same thing happened with cloudy bay sauvignon blanc 2011, its now barely drinkable.

It really pisses me off when I go to a restaurant and order what I know is a good vintage, and then the waiter brings out the following year (which I know to be shit). You might dismiss it as snobbery, but the vintage matters; it might as well be an entirely different label/product as far as I'm concerned.

How do wine drinkers find the next best thing? They buy a ton of bottles and taste it all and eventually they find something good. The fact that everyone knows it's a finite commodity combined with the inconvenience/cost to locate the good stuff leads people to seldom disclose what the good stuff is until it's too late. I think of is as the good fishing spot nobody ever tells about for fear it will get fished out.

Some general tips
-stay away from mass produced brands like E & J gallo, Orlando wines, casella wines, which bring us atrocities like jacobs creek, turning leaf, and yellowtail.
-stick to wines between 20 - 50 USD, this is the "value block".
-there is absolutely no reason to spend more than 100 USD on a bottle unless you are trying to impress someone. The increase in quality is marginal for the increase in cost.
-don't buy wine in shops that source from places that store the wine improperly (you will realize this with experience)
-if you don't like a particular grape, don't discount it entirely. Keep an open mind and keep try a different label, a different region, a different vintage. It takes a lot of trial and error.
-The best tip I can suggest is to find friends who really enjoy wine. Wine drinkers hate drinking alone, and they will share some incredibly awesome bottles with basically anyone willing to drink with them. This is how I got started.

My personal tastes for everyday value - I enjoy (in no particular order) pinot noir from yarra valley, white burgundies, red rhones, and tempranillo from New zealand. For rare special occasions that merit a first/second growth or similar quality, I prefer (again in no particular order) - chateauneuf du pape (E. guigal), baron de pichon, chateau haut brion, and montrachet.