The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
^ Yeah S2 is one of my favorites as well, I love all the stuff with the Greeks and how it ties into the global drug trade and the futility of fighting on a street level, the collapse of industry, the fact that drugs aren't bound by class/race/suburb/whatever. I felt sorry for Ziggy ultimately, even if he was a pain in the ass, he was just trying to make it out of his shitty place in life but didn't have what it took.

4 > 3 > 2 > 1 >>> 5

Doesn't Portugal have a pretty similar stance like Hamsterdam to the war on drugs? Just legalize everything and dump all the money into treatment instead of drug busts. AFAIK their addiction rates have plummeted since adopting the policy.
It's a bit more complicated than that, but yeah, they decriminalized possession (aka. you just get a fine and maybe confiscation, no legal consequences, but that's not the same as legalization) and iirc, turn a blind eye (in terms of enforcement) to a lot of the low level dealing even though it's still technically illegal, so they can focus on treatment, harm reduction, going after the big guys, etc. instead. A lot of European countries have similar policies to a lesser or greater degree, right up to places like Switzerland (I think? There are similar programs in a few countries) where registered addicts can just go into a clinic and have a nurse administer a dose of pharmaceutical heroin.

Once you take the romanticized lifestyle/social/black market aspects out of it, new addicts become rare because it becomes something sterile and medical instead of rebellious and counter-cultural, and with all of the established addicts are getting their fix from the government, the black market shrinks due to lack of demand, meaning there's not a lot of it going around in underground drug circles for kids to get their hands on and become addicted to.

iannis

Musty Nester
Season 2 has grown on me a lot. Hated it the first time I watched the series. But I also chain-watched the series, and it seems common that people who binged it dislike s2 at first. If you were watching it weekly and then with the long season breaks, s2 isn't nearly so jarring.

I'm not even greek.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Yeah i know i am in the minority on ziggy. just never liked his voice/lines/delivery/whatever. always makes me cringe when hes on screen.

Similarly, for whatever reason i always cringe during any scene involving Lt Daniels personal life. not exactly sure why but anything with his wife or later on with Rhonda, are some of the few minutes of the entire series that i dont love. Mcnulty banging on Rhonda's door while Daniels was inside was great tho.

I really love any time Mcnulty is drunk on screen. It always seems like he is actually black out drunk, and not acting.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
One of my favorite little character flavor moments is when Mcnulty mentions he is from Lauraville in season three on his date with the black haired political chick. The neighborhood is full of self destructive drug addicts and drunks just like Mcnulty. lol

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
We've had this argument a hundred times.

1 = 2 = 3 = 4 > 5

Tha'ts how it is. Whatever preferences you have in regard to the first four seasons are fine and they may cause you to rank them differently than someone else. But they're four perfect seasons of television and season five is without question weak (but still good).

We don't have to have people come in here and defend season 2 every couple of weeks. Everyone loves season 2.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I really love any time Mcnulty is drunk on screen. It always seems like he is actually black out drunk, and not acting.
Crashing his car twice and waking up in bloody sheets with a dive waitress was a series highlight for McNulty.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My favorite was him just doing the lady on his car and he just flashes his badge as the cops drive by

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
McNulty gave no fucks and no fucks were given. Bill Simmons was saying HBO signature should just be The Wire and Sopranos reruns. That would be fucking awesome if it ever happened.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Watching the show, now, it just seems dated. It has capably acted moments, but I'm not quite sure whysomesuggest this show is the second coming for Christ. It seems to vacillate between preachy moments, dramatic moments, and comedic moments to an extent that it becomes somewhat absurd. If you're ill, it's not a bad series to binge watch during the few moments you're awake.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Watching the show, now, it just seems dated. It has capably acted moments, but I'm not quite sure whysomesuggest this show is the second coming for Christ. It seems to vacillate between preachy moments, dramatic moments, and comedic moments to an extent that it becomes somewhat absurd. If you're ill, it's not a bad series to binge watch during the few moments you're awake.
Ban this faggot.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thing is, The Wire came more or less with the year 2000's new era of tv shows. Before 2000, we had Twin Peaks, X-Files, Oz, Profit and many other shows trying to make something different about television. But after 2000, we had The Sopranos, 24, The Shield, The Wire and such. It definitely wasn't ole gud tv. It was something else, something different. In my opinion The Wire got its point right because it has realistic approach about society / city / politics. It's not the usual Hollywood cop flick, it's about people within community (the city), trying to go with their lives.

Speaking about The Wire, regarding "cop" shows, before The Wire we had whodunits and "everyday hero" productions. Starsky & Hutch, Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and such. This was more about "how is society through cop eyes" than The Wire. In The Wire, police people, thugs, politicians and community are actual people. They don't watch community from a point, they are the community. There is no absolute Dirty Harry in law enforcement, there's no totally evil Tony Montana in crime family. The show is all about normal people, flawed people, going on with their lives.

During The Wire airing (2002-2007 ?) the show got huge acclaim while having low ratings. The Wire got popular/cult after its airing. It's a 2000 era tv show and before it got the 720p treatment it was the kind of show you wouldn't recommend because 480p SD doesn't look watchable nowadays, especially when people would rather download the while thing than paying for stupid stream reruns.

The Wire has lots of praise not because its wikipedia page claims it's the mostly definite cop tv show ever. It has acclaim because it felt genuine, and there wasn't any subliminal message. It was like "here's how shit works, make your own opinion". Most people will say The Wire is the definite cop show around, if you don't like it you're some kind of low level mammal. I'd say, The Wire is a take about US society. It feels so genuine, so hopeless and truthful, it got into me. And I live in Europe.

If you feel The Wire is dated and kinda boring, I'd suggest you to watch Generation Kill. It's a 8 episodes miniseries about some US Marines company in 2003 Iraq war. It's made by the same people The Wire people (Simon, Burns and Wright), it's available in HD and you can watch it tomorrow and don't feel like it's been filmed 10 years from now. It also has the same quality of production, acting and directing than The Wire had. I'm in The Wire's crowd when it's about the best tv shows around, but I'd rather explain my opinion and encourage people to watch it rather than calling them dumb because they didn't like it.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
A fair response, but I did qualify my response in saying "now." I have a hard time believing that it tapped into the zeitgeist of 2002, but, as you point out, its contemporaries were underwhelming by comparison. I pulled up the2002 Golden Globesand it's rather depressing what shows won what.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A fair response, but I did qualify my response in saying "now." I have a hard time believing that it tapped into the zeitgeist of 2002, but, as you point out, its contemporaries were underwhelming by comparison. I pulled up the2002 Golden Globesand it's rather depressing what shows won what.
And then after 2002 The Sopranos begun their rise and glory path, with 60 awards / 200 nominations (lead, writing, direction, show, support) over the years. The Wire got 10 times less awards, and mostly from minor stuff.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ive seen this entire series about 3 times now, and each time is just as good as the last. I loved how Idris Elba was portrayed in this, and Boddie was a boss till he got got.

If you've never seen Idris in Luther i'd recommend that too, Alice is not to be fucked with.