The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Definitely one of the best scenes in the show. The home depot guy looked like he had just met an alien. Everything he said about nail guns was pretty legit as well.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea that was one of the best character introductions in TV history.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I never watched it until a few months ago, binged through the fucker.

I did love it, but thought the last season was meh.

I dont think anything beats the first season.

WHen they cracked the pager code I lost my mind.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I watched the season 4 opener last night, where Snoop buys a nail gun from the guy in the hardware store. "You earned that bump like a motherfucker, man. Keep that shit". One of the best scenes, of the best shows, in the history of TV.

Was great because it sets the season up so well--season is about education, whole season starts with a character getting "schooled".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I posted this on the other board--but I think this is probably one of the most symbolic and greatest scenes in TV, ever. It took 5 seasons to come to fruition, took its time, was great.

It starts here, with the famous chess scene.

First, D'angelo explains all the correlation to chess and "the game", illustrating how each piece has a corollary to a player. D'angelo also explains a pretty arcane move in Chess, something that VERY rarely happens--a pawn being upgraded to a queen (Least powerful piece of the most powerful). In order for a pawn to do so, he has to stay on a straight, and dangerous course and he can only attack from side to side, and can only move in small, constrained movements--if he survives to the other side, he can become a queen. Brodie siezes on this specifically about the pawn "If I make it to the end, I'm top dog". (He directly references himself as a pawn, and talks about how the pawn has to be smart.)....D'angelo tells him though that the game is rigged against pawns, they die, quick, they be "out of the game early" (Illustrating the power of the pieces they are against.)

Then, Bodie begins realizing he's a pawn--and can't break out of the game (He's even a 'bald little fucker" like he described them). He even says it with Mcnulty "we're like the little bitches on the chess board". Mcnulty says "pawns", and remember, through the whole series Mcnulty comments how smart Brodie is (Like the Entrapment scene, or when he tricked the guys with the guns/prints--Brodie is a smart ass pawn).

Now, after Bodie spends his time carefully moving forward, climbing up the board slowly until he's running his own crew and making plans to take down Marlo (The King)...Then, he's attacked.

Notice how the attack is shot? Chris and Snoop are attacking on angles and making big movements (Queen, and a Bishop)...Bodie can not retreat, he also can't move from his corner, and he attacks back on an angle (Pawn). Then, a man comes up behind Bodie--look at how they specifically make him walk, he steps out one space, then walks a few in another direction and passes Bodie's soldiers/pieces (He's a knight, hopping over pieces, attacking behind the lines).

Bodie knew what he was, he explains it to McNulty, the game was rigged against him. His death scene is a chess game, with him being taken out of the game.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Why this show is the best thing ever.

Plus.....the only moment i cheered in the entire series

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And in season 4 or 5, can't remember which one, we see nick, frank's nephew, talking shit to the audience during the condominium project inauguration.
I think after frank died, all the workers, who looked at him like a father figure, all went to shit and their lives started to erode. That includes johnny spamanto.

And another great moment BTW...love this scene

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, that about sums it up.

It's one of the best written dramas on TV ever.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Marry the Wire. It's a toss up for Deadwood and Sopranos. I mean, if you look beyond Sopranos as being the first to do a lot of things, it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is. Deadwood is a great series as well, but it wasn't the best. Tough call. My own personal preference would be to kill... Fuck, I can't choose. In a vacuum, if neither Deadwood or Sopranos existed in the first place, which would I miss more? I guess Sopranos, just because I'm not a big fan of Southern movies. But at the same time, Ian McShane's role in Deadwood was among the best I've ever encountered. Really tough question.

But definitely marry The Wire.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
"how my hair look, mike?" is one of my many favorite moments that was not yet mentioned

also gifs
uZRHDgP.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• 1Like