The Witcher

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Something I've been noticing that bothered me is how small the stage is a lot of times. Even outdoors shots, just a very small sound stage. It was something you only noticed on game of thrones occasionally. It makes the world feel tiny

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Something I've been noticing that bothered me is how small the stage is a lot of times. Even outdoors shots, just a very small sound stage. It was something you only noticed on game of thrones occasionally. It makes the world feel tiny
Even the massive outdoor scenes in glorious 4K HDR seemed... Flat and small.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's way too disjointed, and poorly written. As a creator, you have to understand what content/scenes needs to be filtered, or cut, and what needs to be highlighted or fleshed out.

If you cant do that, you end up wasting screen time and letting the viewer down by essentially providing filler that has no real effect on the overall plot.

I do like how some of the shit Geralt is doing are like side quests from the games, but the main "plot" is so nebulous and bland, it's hard to even concentrate on what is important or intriguing.

I thought the portal jumping scenes with the girl and baby were awesome. Maybe pointless, but wonderful settings and cinematography. If they expanded on that and made it more consequential, it could be truly amazing. Instead it was glossed over and the next thing you know she is fucking a Djinn.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I had hopes when Yennifer got polymorphed from hunchback to hottie, but somehow they actually managed to make her character even less interesting.

Gonna finish the show off now that I'm halfway through, but wouldn't have bothered starting if I knew it would go nowhere. I'm over halfway through and I still can't figure out what the plot of the show is. Best thing about it so far is that it makes me want to replay Witcher III. Gavinmad Gavinmad is right, watching all the cutscenes of Witcher III back to back would be more entertaining than watching this.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had hopes when Yennifer got polymorphed from hunchback to hottie, but somehow they actually managed to make her character even less interesting.

Gonna finish the show off now that I'm halfway through, but wouldn't have bothered starting if I knew it would go nowhere. I'm over halfway through and I still can't figure out what the plot of the show is. Best thing about it so far is that it makes me want to replay Witcher III. Gavinmad Gavinmad is right, watching all the cutscenes of Witcher III back to back would be more entertaining than watching this.

There is no plot. The entire season is nothing but origin story.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Im 4 episodes in and I now get what they are doing with the three main character stories, but I still feel like I'm getting people / places messed up trying to keep track of it all. Henry Cavill is, however, just damn attractive.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This might be the strangest show I've ever watched. Cavill is excellent as Geralt, and the writing and atmosphere of the show when Geralt is on screen is spot on. And then there's everything else... which is confoundingly bad.

How is it possible to understand the atmosphere so well when Cavill is on screen and completely miss the mark when he's not? Is he really elevating his part of the script that much? I don't think so, I think that this show is actually 2 different shows. The adventures of Geralt of Rivia, and "Everything else, aka garbage tv for bored housewives".

The first 27 minutes of this shown had me reeled in... then they switch to Ciri and the royal family and that absolutely retarded battle scene and it seems the entire show is like this. Really good and monumentally bad in a Youtube mashup.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed this for the most part, and I think a lot of the problems discussed in this thread could've been avoided by slowing the fuck down. This isn't so much The Witcher, Season 1 of X as it is "The Witcher's Greatest Hits". They took plot points, settings, and character drama from all over the books and games and randomly sprinkled it into 8 episodes.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
The game works so well because it is a horror game mixed with an RPG that has an actual deep political background story. Why not make the show about managing the fall of Temeria (Roche plz?), Radovid slowly going crazy as he leads the Redanian army, and being tasked by Emhyr to help the Nilfgaard expansion? It could have been epic.

I’ll post this for the millionth time.

The writer made the books and was done. He sold the rights to his IP to CDPR that allowed them to make non canon games based off his IP but they could only make the games with their story nothing else.

Netflix bought the rights to make a show off the books. CDPR isn’t allowed to sell their adaptations to movies or TV. Author doesn’t consider the games canon and doesn’t like them.

Khane

Author doesn't like one of the best story driven video games ever made. Got it. Books not worth reading. TV Show adaptation based off books obviously also not worth the time.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Author doesn’t consider the games canon and doesn’t like them.

Because he's jealous of their wild success (well, 3's wild success) and the fact that people only know about his books because of the games, lol.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Next faggot who makes a stupid “why didn’t they use the games” bullshit post I will spend a paycheck on bucks to Shaw you forever.

If you don’t want to read the thread that explains your faggot answers 100 times don’t fucking post on it.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Because he's jealous of their wild success (well, 3's wild success) and the fact that people only know about his books because of the games, lol.

And his deal wouldn’t allow him to make any money off a show based on the games because that ain’t his story. Only CDPR can make that game and they don’t have the license to use the IP outside of games.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Next faggot who makes a stupid “why didn’t they use the games” bullshit post I will spend a paycheck on bucks to Shaw you forever.

If you don’t want to read the thread that explains your faggot answers 100 times don’t fucking post on it.
giphy.gif

Khane

And probably also that CDPR did a better job with the source material than he did.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And probably also that CDPR did a better job with the source material than he did.

There's nothing wrong with his books, but they're more about Ciri than they are about Geralt, whereas the games revolve entirely around Geralt.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of which

Well shit if this thing does not get cancelled maybe they will eventually get to the Games assuming that agreement would give him some $ for it.

• 1Like

Khane

The author is clearly not an idiot. CDPR brought his source material to the masses, and opened new doors. He'd be a fool to shun them now.