The Young Pope

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm in after this week's episodes. I still don't know WTF is going on, but the writing, cinematography, and acting are top notch and I'm finally into the story. What he said to the blonde girl that was trying to seduce him was amazing. I do have to agree that the baby drop was pretty terrible. Also, the redhead that plays the young sister Mary in the flashbacks is really pretty.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Going to be a season two of this. Hopefully by then I will know WTF is going on!!!!!

I jest, though it took me awhile to get used to the artistic presentation of everything. Looking forward to seeing where they go with this. Still think Jude Law needs an award for his work (?) here.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know whether to say this show deserves awards or call it HBO's next John From Cincinnati. It is a show about nothing that swings and misses as much as it swings and hits.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think I'm going to need a lit professor to explain wtf I just spent 10 hours watching. The acting, writing, and especially the cinematography were amazing but what the point of it all was I have no fucking clue.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
This is some of the best television I've ever seen.

HBO continues to up the ante.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished this. It's hard to sum it up. Definitely a slow burn, but certainly worth a watch. I really liked it, probably not quite "loved it". The whole time Jude Law does just a perfect job of making Pius XIII feel not of this world.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I really enjoyed it. I don't think the story really mattered, it was just the show runner doing whatever he wanted and for the most part it was good. Could just sit on the couch and not even think about it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This was definitely very different. There are no real heroes, villains, conflict, or many of the "standard" components of a story.

Jude Law definitely killed it, though.

spronk

FPS noob
Just marathoned through the whole thing over a week, wife stopped watching after a few episodes but I really enjoyed the whole thing. As everyone above said, it really is sorta pointless and not like really any other scripted TV show on, but I loved the Italian setting and the show just oozed European atmosphere, story beats, cinematography, music, everything. I wouldn't want to watch too many shows like this, but one a year is pretty good.

The parts I actually loved the most were the Cardinal Secretary of State just speaking in super fast Italian to other characters, I could watch him for hours. To me, whether the Catholic church is good or bad, so much of human history is embedded in that institution it just is crazy to think a lot about it.

The opening credits is also absolutely fantastic, props to the guys who did that. I actually went and looked up what the paintings were
The Young Pope – All 10 Paintings From The Opening Explained

• 2Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
This show was awesome. It started as a weird show about Vatican politics, then morphed into a weird show about loneliness and abandonment. All with a surprising amount of nudity for a show about the pope.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
‘The New Pope’ First Look: Jude Law and John Malkovich Bring Religious Power Back to HBO

Jude Law and John Malkovich join forces as two religious powerhouses in the first look at HBO’s “The New Pope.” The limited series is Italian filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino’s follow-up to “The Young Pope,” which earned critical acclaim when it debuted on HBO in January 2017. Sorrentino is once again directing all eight episodes of the series and co-wrote the scripts with Umberto Contarello and Stefano Bises.

While HBO has debuted our first look at “The New Pope” above, the network is not giving any plot details away. Whether or not “The New Pope” is a continuation of the story in “The Young Pope” has yet to be confirmed, although the official photo suggests that’s the case as it features Jude Law looking very much like his original character Lenny Belardo/Pope Pius XIII. John Malkovich’s casting was confirmed in July 2018, and the legendary actor is expected to be the new lead of the series. Perhaps Law’s Lenny is an apparition guiding Malkovich’s character through the papacy? Lenny’s fate was left ambiguous at the end of “The Young Pope.”

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
11091-2iTD2UYRloK8H5djnlliYATZQUA.jpg

Title: The Young Pope

Genre: Drama

Creator: Paolo Sorrentino, Jude Law, Diane Keaton, Silvio Orlando

Cast: Ludivine Sagnier, Diane Keaton, Cécile de France, Javier Cámara, Toni Bertorelli, Jude Law, Silvio Orlando, Scott Shepherd, James Cromwell, Daniel Vivian

First aired: 2016-10-21

Overview: Lenny Belardo, the youngest and first American Pope in the history of the Church, must establish his new papacy and navigate the power struggles of the closed, secretive Vatican.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
This show is so fucking weird. I'm still not sure if I liked season 1 or not.

• 2Solidarity

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Season 1 was a special brand of crazy that I really enjoyed. I can't wait for this.

• 1Solidarity