They are billions

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Zombie defense base builder game.

Its an RTS game at core but orders and buildings can be given while the game is paused, I like the gameplay a lot. Currently in early acces, only the sandbox mode is available. They intend to launch the game and its full campaign spring 2018.

Difficultywise its pretty challenging, I've not been able to complete a game on the default difficulty, despite trying various builds.

My swarm of snipers got ran down by an invasion while trying to get back to the base, my towerrush game ended after a wave of unexpected size simply obliterated the defenses I had, all 8 lines of them.

Maps are randomly generated, some far better then others. The graphics are decent, the game controls like starcraft except space pauses the game.

Great game for the price, in its current state.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I absolutely love tower defense games.

I'll have to pick this one up. Thanks!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I swear I saw a review of this one on YouTube not too long ago (Worth a Buy maybe?) and they said it was punishingly hard.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can you go over the general gameplay loop Punko? Like how do you obtain resources, train troops, victory condition, etc?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Can you go over the general gameplay loop Punko? Like how do you obtain resources, train troops, victory condition, etc?

You start with 4 rangers and a soldier. The rangers move fast, their bows don't attract nearby enemies, the soldier is slow and noisy, has shorter vision range but slightly higher dps. (soldiers are a bad deal) I like to send out the 4 rangers as a squad, since 4 is the number you require to 1 shot basic zombies. The soldier is left to patrol the area around my base the rangers are not scouting. When the rangers reach veteran status they grow a lot stronger, mid-late game they they be used to kite enemy hordes in front of defenses, a bit like EQ bard AE kite.

When starting the game, building 3 tents is crucial, since they provide gold and workers, which are the base resources for any other building. Building tents requires food, depending on the map build hunters cottage / fishersmans village or rush to farms. Farmland is pretty rare on the first map, but some starting locations are blessed with them. In case you want to build over the farmland due to short-term needs, go for it, I die too often preserving resources. Watching the placement of resource collection buildings is important, since they can't overlap.

The early game involves balancing food / wood / gold with workers and defense, how you do this depends on the map. I've had maps with great choke points, but too little room to build resource buildings. The game tends to punish turtling as far as I can see.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well I am sure it works at some point, its just that exploring and expanding towards beneficial areas of the map has gotten me killed repeatedly.

I have to mention I never made it to the last tier of industry in about 20 hours (a full map takes 2-3 hours), its just hard.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Christopher Odd has several Let's Plays on this
Worth a watch

Not a tower defense game

Rangers are sexual cliche so trigger warning

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That makes me sad. That is the whole point of base building games imo!

Guess I described that badly. I meant that the old starcraft strategy of obstructing the entrance to your starter base and letting the enemy suicide into it doesn't work, expansion is always required.

As I said I fully consider the game to be worth its price in its current state.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Having played the heck out of it recently it's a more or less complete experience minus the scripted campaign mode but as it stands it's a challenging game that feels wonderful to beat. Until you figure out what you need to do though it can be quite infuriating so it's a good idea to watch some let's plays. To succeed you have to aggressively expand while maintaining an adequate defense and constantly scale up while keeping your economy and resource intake strong. Also make sure you clear the map of random zombies before the final wave as everything on the map will rush you at that point.

It was a great personal challenge to beat the first map on default and now that I've learned the ropes I beat the next two maps without that much trouble. Oh one other thing to note is that each game on 100 days can take over 3 hours to complete so it can really burn when you fail late game ;).

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I avoided watching too much youtube stuff since I didn't want to ruin the experience.

How many hours on record Gask?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I am terrible at this game. Stayed up way too late last night haha. Was worth the ~$20

• 1Like

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I avoided watching too much youtube stuff since I didn't want to ruin the experience.

How many hours on record Gask?

I tried to do the same but I went into it without paying enough attention to the numbers/expansion game which as it turns out is vital to success. Also some of the units/towers aren't balanced well yet like soldiers, lucifers and shock towers to the point that I don't even build them now. So after losing a few times and going wtf does the difficulty between waves escalate so wildly later on I knew I was doing something really wrong. https://www.youtube.com/user/AznElite123 Has some good videos on the game if you can get past him screaming from time to time lol.

That first victory was so memorable and as close as can be; they were literally clawing down my command center after breaking through multiple lines of defense on the north but a hastily set up delaying action (fueled by liquidating buildings) and reinforcing titans saved the day. It's a great game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I added this game to my Steam watch-list. If it gets a big price-cut sale over the holidays, I will likely pick it up. Otherwise, I will wait till it releases. It looks really cool.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I only buy early access if the Steam review is Overwhelmingly Positive, a la Factorio and RimWorld

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bought this and convinced two people in my office bullpen to buy it too. This game is really well done.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users