Titanfall

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Man, that coop defense mode is actually fun. Plus tons of exp. Not bad at all...

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I've been wanting to try this game out. Just bought the PC version for $10 from Amazon. Thanks for the heads up KCXIV!

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
as they posted in the deals thread, Titanfall seasonpass is free on all versions.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Titanfall was like the WildStar of FPS. It had everything there in the gameplay, but then nothing around it. I expect TF2 to learn from this and be maybe the biggest shooter of the year it releases.

Campaign could actually be fun if they had you fight a mega Titan or some shit. I haven't played a CoD campaign in probably 5 years since MW2. No reason to.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A good single player campaign that actually fleshed out the universe is a must I think.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Titans were badass. When they had pilot hunter mode 8v8 with no bots and no titans it made for a pretty boring game.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Titans felt like wasted potential to me. It was something that could have been amazingly cool, but in practice ended up being less fun than on foot because of how limited they felt. I mean I wasn't expecting mechwarrior levels of weapons options or anything, but popping into a titan somehow felt limiting and boring to me.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Titans were mostly to counter other Titans, they really weren't designed to be good against pilots.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Titans were mostly to counter other Titans, they really weren't designed to be good against pilots.
The chain gun and quad rockets were, in fact, designed for infantry. I usually just ran around in a medium 40mming other titans, but when I got 2gud I started using a strider with quads or heavy with a chain gun and you can rack up the pilot kills fairly easy. Basically my buddy would watch my back if I had a rodeo and otherwise I'd just chain gun everything ever. I'm talking 15ish pilot kills per games and 2-3 titans. Before I was more of a 6ish titans and 4-5 pilot type of player as Titans pose the most threat to a team.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Well my issue isn't the role of titans as much as how they were implemented. They just felt really simple and overall kind of lame to actually play as. Maybe I was expecting the mechs to have multiple weapon systems and stuff, I don't know. I definitely didn't expect to have more fun with the on-foot gameplay though. Probably just a personal quibble but the titans just didn't do it for me.

Xevy

Log Wizard
An Armored Core approach to Titans would've been awesome, but then you can't be getting them every 2 minutes or less because they'd be 90% of the game and Pilots would be absolutely worthless.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Then why have them at all?
Well, the point of titans is that the team that's doing better gets to drop their titans more frequently, pushing the game in their favor, but the other side could counter that advantage if they had better titan pilots and then push the game the other way.

It also just breaks the match up into phases where there's a pilot-only phase at the start, then titans start dropping in one at a time, then half of both teams are in their titans towards the middle, then titans start to drop and get replaced by other titans as other people's cooldowns come up. Also the choice between actively piloting your titan or having it guard you is a pretty interesting decision point.

I think the whole point of this game was to add a bunch of variations of pacing along with decision points to an FPS which normally has not a lot of either.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
An Armored Core approach to Titans would've been awesome, but then you can't be getting them every 2 minutes or less because they'd be 90% of the game and Pilots would be absolutely worthless.
Armored Core was definitely a sweet game but that would be very very different.

I honestly think the anti-titan infantry guns needed a little bit of a buff.

Hopefully in Titanfall 2, titans will actually be able to alter the terrain like knock down smaller buildings and things like that.

I certainly wouldn't mind if they made a more battlefield-style objective-based game where you need titans to push/defend your objectives.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gotcha, thanks.

You think there will be a Titanfall 2? Were the box sales enough to make this a financial success? I haven't heard a single thing about it's longevity. Even friends who got it were done within a few weeks.