Titanfall

spronk

FPS noob
played two games, definitely fun. However it is 100% a console-ified game, from minimal setting tweaks to matchmaking via lobby only to static indestructible environments and a HUD that basically auto aims for you (literally auto aim for pistols and rockets, lotsa bright graphics for rifles to let you know you have lock!). Graphics were ok, didn't really notice anything bad but didn't really see anything mind blowing either - the titanfall drop from the sky is cool though.

Titan mode is awesome, but I am sad that I can't run around picking up cars or smashing through buildings like Pacific Rim. Just based on two quick matches, will buy the game but wait for 50% off sale, not worth $60. Feels like a game that came out in 2010 to be honest. The parkour moves out of titan mode are fun, reminded me a bit of Brink.

four game modes for beta - attrition (deathmatch), hardpoint (flag capture), last titan standing, and "beta variety pack" (mix of the 3?)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a new PC key in my email. So looks like they fixed it. I like this better than having to talk to Origin Support. lol

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Everything about Brink was terrible, where this game is actually fun.

It does kinda feel lame that there's no destructibles, but that's my only complaint.

If you could port this kind of gameplay into a game like Planetside, it would be awesome.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Watched TB stream this last night...

I don't get the hype. Yes mechs, and all that, but it looked so.... generic and similar. It was constantly the same. Fight for a minute, get in mech, fight until mech is damaged, eject, land om other mechs, die, repeat. From start to finish of that stream, that was the game.

I mean, it looks ok, but.... I don't know. Gameplay just looks so incredibly static. No single player campaign either, so it will be just that. Maps with minor objective points we have all tried before.

In a full scale larger game, then I could see it as cool to have mechs. But in this, at least on the streams I have seen, Mechs do not last long, and they are VERY easy to dispatch of. Nearly 100% of the time I saw TB getting attacked in his mech, an eject would lead to him landing on an opposing mech and killing it every time. The whole "tactical" element certainly didn't show itself at all in the sessions I have seen this played. Once on foot, you just ran, kills happened very fast, respawns fast, and if you see a mech, you run towards it and jump on it, you don't shoot it.

I dunno. Maybe "it is beta", but unless they have modes where mechs last longer or it becomes tactical, this is basically just Unreal tournament with mechs. Which sounds good in theory, but I actually got bored watching TB stream due to it being the same action sequences over and over and over and over. On the trailers and videos from E3 and such, it looked amazing and fun. But apparently the Titanfall trailers are to be the same way as trailers for bad movies. Where everything is spoiled/ shown in a 2 minute trailer. And it is. The original trailers for Titanfall showed exactly the action I watched in the streams. Around 4-5 minutes of gameplay will seemingly give you everything this game has to offer. Seems like you just need to enjoy doing those 5 minutes over again constantly. And sad part I am not joking about that. Not on any stream anywhere have I seen "tactical" combat. It is full on kill fast, destroy, and with an autoaim that only TESO can match.

But, I do not have beta. I was going to, but after watching a few streams, I could care less about this game. Are my impressions dead wrong? Note, if you enjoy doing the same 5 minutes over and over again, then I am not wrong, we are just different. I am curious if there are any modes that make the action a bit more tactical and cohesive?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Lack of variety is definitely a valid complaint, as least going on what is available in beta. The same old fucking guns from COD.

I played for an hour and a half or so. It's fun but VERY repetitive. Far more so than COD, because the maps are so bland. And they have to be, because of the mechs.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This does kinda feel like a demo for a combat engine to be inserted into some game where it actually matters. But it's still really fun. It does remind me of old school FPS games like UT but that's not a bad thing.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hah, this game's pretty fun, nothing like punching a mother fucker's mech and ripping the pilot out and then throwing them in to the wall.
I don't like the addition of random AI running around, but still enjoyable.

Sulrn

Deuces
I don't see how anyone can have any interest in the game. It looks bad, gameplay is more repetitive than CoD, and it's a cross gen and cross platform port. It's a loss on every facet except concept.

I'm especially baffled by the PC players. Xbro this, xbro that - still falling in the same EA trap.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I don't see how anyone can have any interest in the game. It looks bad, gameplay is more repetitive than CoD, and it's a cross gen and cross platform port. It's a loss on every facet except concept.

I'm especially baffled by the PC players. Xbro this, xbro that - still falling in the same EA trap.
Its fun - and calling it more repetitive than CoD makes it hard to read the rest of your post. You've seen 3 modes and youre comparing it to a series thats been trying to reinvent itself for years now.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its fun - and calling it more repetitive than CoD makes it hard to read the rest of your post. You've seen 3 modes and youre comparing it to a series thats been trying to reinvent itself for years now.
You don't start off by showing off what's rehashed if you're trying to make a good impression - you show off the new shiny bits. You're expecting innovation that likely won't be there because if they had it they'd already be showing it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Those same old rehashed mechs, parkour, etc. Damn those guys, what were they thinking.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
You don't start off by showing off what's rehashed if you're trying to make a good impression - you show off the new shiny bits. You're expecting innovation that likely won't be there because if they had it they'd already be showing it.
You show whats good and fun, but why show your entire hand at the start?It will have some form of SP but im pretty sure the SP experience also ties into the MP.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
why the fuck did they give me an xbox one fucking beta when I clicked pc.

if anyone wants the code let me know.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If anyone needs a PC code, all you have to do is send EA support a code that looks like a real Xbone code and they'll flag your Origin account. But it doesn't have to be a valid code, because the monkeys don't actually check.

This game has the combat that every other sci-fi shooter wishes it had. It doesn't seem to have much else though. It's very fun but very shallow, just like oldschool FPS games.