Tom Clancy's The Division

Column_sl

shitlord
Ok so I'm wondering if I'm going to get in with my Xbox pre order now. I think this is an Alpha, and the one from the pre order is Beta.

Guess I will find out tomorrow.

Anyone have some Alpha keys if these beta ones don't work?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I preordered ages ago for PC and used that on my uplay account so when i wanted to try the alpha i wasnt allowed to preorder and just add another key and pick xbox 1..

To fix i unhooked my xbl account from my uplay account and made another uplay account and hooked my xbl account to it - i then ordered another copy of the division from amazon and used that key to set it up as xbox preference and was immediately emailed an alpha invite. Then i just downloaded for tomorrow.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well... Usually when they have an NDA in place for an alpha/beta it is because they don't want people talking about how lacking the title is or pointing out its flaws in the media...but so far this is pretty damn sweet.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I only got to play for one hour this morning, so these are just my first impressions.

First, the alpha is very limited in scope. There's literally only one story mission to complete. After that there are small 'events' you can respond to, and of course, PvP in the Dark Zones.

The story mission felt well done. I tried to do it solo and got my ass kicked, so did matchmaking and got grouped with 2 others. It was still fairly difficult, we had group members go down a few times. Throughout the mission there's lots of voice overs on comms and such that seemed well done. The animation in cut scenes after completing the mission seemed pretty decent too. Mostly just facing groups of enemies, until the end when there were 2 named 'bosses'. It was a bit hectic, so I didn't really notice what they did different besides hitting harder and having more health.

Let me preface the rest of my impressions by saying I'm a hardcore PC Gamer. I do not like playing games on console. I only have an Xbox One because we bought one for our kids for Christmas and I snuck it out of the box to play this Alpha.

That said, I think the 'feel' of the game is pretty good. Movement and animations were smooth. The bindings for the controller weren't very confusing and felt pretty intuitive. I feel like they will translate easily to PC (sometimes controls on PC feel shitty because they feel optimized for controller use). Personally, I really like the UI. It feels quick, intuitive, and unobtrusive.

The cover system feels pretty smooth, and moving from one area of cover to another is done easily enough. I think some issues I had were primarily due to playing with a controller.

That alone makes me optimistic for the game, because so often the user experience gets overlooked because it's not something 'tangible'.

As for the combat, it's definitely more RPG than Shooter. Thats not to say aiming doesn't matter. I was actually somewhat impreased by the hit detection, although I'll need more time to make a full assesment. Getting a headshot does more damage, but it's not instakilling bad guys. Your weapons still have damage ranges, and DPS.

Because it's not solely about twitch skills, and you're always utilizing cover, combat seems mostly about positioning, and use of abilities and equipment. I think this has potential to make PvP pretty interesting, but I have yet to engage in any, so I can't comment fully. Definitely potential for team work, and utilizing things like suppression fire and flanking to be more sucessful than simply going Rambo and having better twitch skills.

Other than that, the game just looks good. The world is really well designed and immersive. There's also nice touches like civilians putting their hands up and running away if you aim at them. I'm not big on lore, but the way the story is presented seems somewhat compelling and interesting.

Again, this is only one hour of impressions. I can see the potential, and am feeling slightly optimistic.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This is going to be a shitload of fun with the right people - Im not sure what base setting is on but its pretty easy to find yourself going back to check points after death.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Surprised there's not more people talking about this.

Only just now started running into some bugs and issues. Overall pretty smooth Alpha, though.

Dark Zones are interesting, but I feel like they need more PvE content in them. Something like dynamic zone-wide missions for Squads to compete over. If another squad beats you to it, you still have the option of killing them.

So far, I've only just seen some random groups of mobs, but no real objectives. I just think there needs to be more than just Extractions to bring players together in the Dark Zones - to create more PvP opportunities.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I mean, there IS an NDA and they've been pretty solid about banning people.

I don't think they'll ban me for saying that it's a fucking fun game though. It is.

spronk

FPS noob
I preordered the xbox one version on amazon last night and got a key within 5 minutes, posted that on the division site (make sure you choose xbox one!) and got an alpha invite right away too. will play tonight and check it out, wasn't even going to bother since I expected bad things but now i am intrigued

still its almost impossible to tell from alpha/betas if a game is going to be good, just if its going to be not-good.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got some time in the Dark Zone. Was pretty fun.

Actually tried to group up to re-do the Medical Mission again, but we never got a fourth, so we just ran to the Dark Zone and started exploring. Scavenged around, found some loot. Completed some extractions.

Had a group of 2 Rogue Agents try to ambush at an extraction point but we were able to overpower them and run them down. Later we were extracting some gear and a solo player rolled up hiding behind cover to extract his own loot. Snuck behind him and tossed a nade at his feed then lit him up.

Took his Green item and extracted it for myself.

Interestingly, being a Rogue only last a certain amount of seconds. We only had to wait 40~ for the Rogue 'debuff' to wear off. Little did we know, a respawn point was right around the corner, and as we sat protecting ourselves, he tried to sneak up on us to get revenge. One of our area scans caught him though, and we chased him off and taught him not to mess with us. This extended the debuff to 90 seconds. No big deal though, we dispatched everyone else so far.

Eventually we kill some NPCs, get some more loot and head to an extraction that's already happening. But there's a SHIT TON of gun fire. There's some Rogue Agents across the road on a building just taking anyone out trying to extract gear. They had a really good position, and you had to climb a rope to get up, which left you very vulnerable. My Squad climbed up, only to be met by 2-3 grenades in our laps, and we got blown to smithereens.

Overall, pretty fun. I still think they should create missions within the Dark Zones to bring players together, so they can choose to work together or kill each other, though.

This game is going to be legit with a small group of friends on voice comms.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Has the open world feel of WatchDogs with squad based interaction. Alot of random missions to stumble upon and a DangerZone - My question is if we will have more cities to travel too what the hell are the containment zones within the general PVE area? Ive not figured out how to get into them yet.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty sure it only takes place in New York, but it appears to be pretty damn big. It's modeled pretty closely, although I know there are some streets and areas missing.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know I shouldn't be too surprised, but the Alpha forums make me want to wretch.

The Developers FEATURED a player backstabbing his team and stealing all the loot in the Dark Zones, and yet there is just incessant whining on the Alpha forums about how there's so many 'toxic' and 'trolling' players in the Dark Zones, simply because they're getting killed and their loot taken.

Hopefully Massive has some balls and won't give in to the incessant whining.

Edit: In other news, apparently there is going to be Proximity Chat, despite Massive previously saying they decided against it. It's not working in Alpha, though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I wonder how the 'anti-LFG' will work though. Seems like it relies pretty heavily on preformed squads else you run all sorts of risk.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Proximity chat will help. I do think they should look into some sort of Matchmaking for the Dark Zone. That's still going to be a risk, but it's better than nothing.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I enjoyed it till the end - the danger zone sucks to do solo especially when there are death squads running around gunning everyone down - all in all im fairly optimistic at this point.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I guess it depends on the rewards, do you get more to yourself or your choice of stuff if you kill off your team?

If it'sliterallyjust for the lulz it'll be a manageable problem but if it rewards treachery then, wellp...