Tom Clancy's The Division

spronk

FPS noob
if you love new york city or ever lived in it or whatever its pretty fun to explore it on foot, you end up running a LOT (like... a lot lot LOT!) and its cool seeing all the attention to detail in a semi post-apocalyptic scenario. also great for people who love loot grind games and asymmetrical pvp (dayz, rust, h1z1, etc).

better to get in the game now than later, when you level up from 1-30 you have to run missions and they are super hard to solo, matchmaking is automatic but i'd guess in a few months there will be a lot fewer people leveling since no reason to have more than 1 char

its 20-40 hours to go from 1-30, then another 20-30 hours to get all the collectibles, then another 40+ hours to grind 1-50 dark zone, then another ? hours to grind out the best top level gear

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Its going to take a bit to find the sweet spot. To figure out how much dps is enough before lowering it for health. Has anyone beaten a challenge mission yet? Ive yet to try but im curious how much a jump it is from hard - ATM hard feels like how normal was but im wondering if it will suddenly be a curb stomp.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Made it to like level 12, did darkzone up to 15 or so, much murder was had. I'm stuck on the story missions now though, the napalm factory thing is like fucked for me and is missing the floor in most of the areas and I fall through the world. Relaunched the game half a dozen times, tried different parties etc, and the floor just doesn't exist, so who knows maybe this is as far as I go!

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
The Division Breaks Ubisoft Records - Ubisoft announced today that its third-person action-RPG has sold more copies in its first 24 hours than any game in Ubisoft?s history.

Honestly kind of surprises me. It really didn't feel like the hype wasthathigh for this game. Died down a lot since they announced it so long ago.
I think the game's success is as much a matter of timing as anything else. Look 3-4 months in the past; nothing has been released. Fallout 4 was the last AAA title I can think of. Going forward, we have DS3, but that's more of a niche AAA title. Overwatch in late May is the next game I can see drumming up any sort of major success, and that's still up for debate.

With the Division, combine solid gameplay mechanics with multiplayer and a known brand name (Clancy) and you have a recipe for success. Drop it right in the middle of one of the longest AAA droughts that I can remember and you have a blockbuster. Gamers were super hungry for something with meat on its bones. Hell, up until a week ago I barely had The Division on my radar. My friend asks me if I'm buying it, I check out a few YouTube videos/Livestreams, and suddenly I realize how long it's been since I really sunk my teeth into a multiplayer game. Already put in about 10 hours and I'm loving it.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The mission scaling is starting to anoy me, I missed a level 10 mission I am 15 now if I try and queue up for it I just screw over the people in there and make it near impossible to do, running it slowly is a ball ache as well.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I think the game's success is as much a matter of timing as anything else. Look 3-4 months in the past; nothing has been released. Fallout 4 was the last AAA title I can think of. Going forward, we have DS3, but that's more of a niche AAA title. Overwatch in late May is the next game I can see drumming up any sort of major success, and that's still up for debate.

With the Division, combine solid gameplay mechanics with multiplayer and a known brand name (Clancy) and you have a recipe for success. Drop it right in the middle of one of the longest AAA droughts that I can remember and you have a blockbuster. Gamers were super hungry for something with meat on its bones. Hell, up until a week ago I barely had The Division on my radar. My friend asks me if I'm buying it, I check out a few YouTube videos/Livestreams, and suddenly I realize how long it's been since I really sunk my teeth into a multiplayer game. Already put in about 10 hours and I'm loving it.
Same things applies to Destiny iirc, when it came out people had that "thirst" for something with longevity to play from a long summer drought.

The mission scaling is starting to anoy me, I missed a level 10 mission I am 15 now if I try and queue up for it I just screw over the people in there and make it near impossible to do, running it slowly is a ball ache as well.
Well its not as bad as it seems, when i was 25 some 30 dude came in and bumped up all our enemies but in turn that dude wrecked fuckin shop and carried so it was all good!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
if you love new york city or ever lived in it or whatever its pretty fun to explore it on foot, you end up running a LOT (like... a lot lot LOT!) and its cool seeing all the attention to detail in a semi post-apocalyptic scenario. also great for people who love loot grind games and asymmetrical pvp (dayz, rust, h1z1, etc).

better to get in the game now than later, when you level up from 1-30 you have to run missions and they are super hard to solo, matchmaking is automatic but i'd guess in a few months there will be a lot fewer people leveling since no reason to have more than 1 char

its 20-40 hours to go from 1-30, then another 20-30 hours to get all the collectibles, then another 40+ hours to grind 1-50 dark zone, then another ? hours to grind out the best top level gear
Also remember, that fast travel exists in the game so when you unlock safehouses and have a mission somewhere out in the middle of no where, try to find a safe house in the area. Can cut back on running time quite a bit bu fast travelling to the safe house closest to the mission point and running from there rather than the main safe house.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I think the game's success is as much a matter of timing as anything else. Look 3-4 months in the past; nothing has been released.
I agree with you on the game so far but this is pretty false.

1) Rise of the Tomb Raider
2) Xcom 2
3) Dragon Dogma Dark Arisen for PC
4) Dying Light: The Following
5) Street Fighter 5 (if that's your thing)
6) Far Cry Primal (Was shit and won't play it until it's on sale but captured a lot of attention)
7) Heavy Rain for PS4 (In case no one played it for PS3)
8) Zelda Twilight Princess HD
9) Fire Emblem Fates

Going forward into June/July:

1) Dark Souls 3
2) Uncharted 4
3) Quantum Break
4) Star Fox
5) Home Front the Revolution
6) New Mirror's Edge
7) Total War: Warhammer
8) Overwatch
9) New Deus Ex

The success of The Division has more to do with they launched a stable game that has a lot more meat than Destiny and is very accessible socially. An actual story, fantastic atmosphere, day/night/weather effects, crafting, some varying mission types (Even if it is still kill a bunch of people and a boss, at least I am dropping a crane on something and watching it explode at the end, or escaping a building I just set on fire with napalm - that is the variety I was looking for. Anything really to distinguish itself even if it's at the end of a mission) a unique PvP system, a fun way to unlock perks with building your base, seeing things change in your base as a result, helping bystanders, rewarding players for doing a lot of different things with encounters/side missions/collectables, etc.

Ubisoft did a decent job here this time around. The game still isn't anything earth shattering in some spots, and they need to do a lot of work on the end game, but I think it will show the market what can be done when you do and add a lot of things to this type of game - unlike Destiny which can suck my ass with regards to mission content, it's horrible RNG system, lack of content, and charging money for emotes of all things. The less people playing Destiny and the more people playing this instead, the better. If anything because it will help us realize better games of this style in the future.

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Only thing I am worried about is the mission scaling. I want to play with my buddies, but having a 3 month old daughter means my time is a fraction of theirs and I want to people able to pick it up and play with them when I can actually log on.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Only thing I am worried about is the mission scaling. I want to play with my buddies, but having a 3 month old daughter means my time is a fraction of theirs and I want to people able to pick it up and play with them when I can actually log on.
Yeah that was a retarded decision. The mission scaling should should scale the higher level players down to the mission level, but instead boost the mission level up to the highest level player where the lower level player does pretty much jack shit all mission long.

spronk

FPS noob
afaik missions only scale on HARD mode, on normal mode all enemies are the level the mission is designated for. I could be wrong but I tested it solo and when I entered the lowbie missions as a level 22 all the enemies are the appropriate level, not suddenly 22

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
afaik missions only scale on HARD mode, on normal mode all enemies are the level the mission is designated for. I could be wrong but I tested it solo and when I entered the lowbie missions as a level 22 all the enemies are the appropriate level, not suddenly 22
I only do the hard version but there is a cap on Hard I done level 7 mission a 19 joined the mobs went to 14 not 19

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It scales on normal or hard depending on the group leader after some more research. So I guess the lower level player will want to be the group lead. No idea what effect that has on experience. Could be a major power leveling opportunity. We should all test it out at some point. I have never looked but can you also change who is the party lead while in the group?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Does exp convert to anything at cap or should I worry about picking up all the phones and shit while leveling? Got the base upgrade that marks them on the map when you beat all the quests in a zone, would recommend $$

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I got back from a work call at 1am last night and decided to mosey into the dark zone solo and just farm some slightly lower leveled named mobs.

Two level 15s (I'm 23) roamed past me, and I heard one say in a super white voice "This American Inventor pointin' his gat at you, Imma blast em". Killed em both with a sticky grenade and an m60. Feels good, man.

edit: I think the bracket is 15-19, so how did that even happen? I may have been 22 at the time, but definitely over 19. I also remember tag-teaming some bosses with some random 21 just before the level 15s wandered over.

Eh just as i figured , and this is a huge bother for me. Why not make being a Rogue Agent an actual thing. Not have a stupid timer attached to it , that shit annoys to me to no end. Also gives people a reason to have 2 characters , but since they decided to go this route there isnt much growth for that aspect of the game. Why i think its stupid , some jack ass runs up on me kills me as im fighting some NPCs in the Dark Zone i rez go back he is still there i get my revenge. So i continue to finish off the NPCs jack ass comes back and not Rogue now , then kills me again and then runs off and hides to clear his timer. That shit is dumb as fuck and a shitty system and will probably prevent me from truly enjoying that part of the game and im sure many others will feel the same, once more and more jack asses pursue this type of bullshit.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
By making hard scale to the highest character level (including rewards) it let's them have a sizeable chunk of mission content people can do in groups the whole time while levelling and at Max level. Seems smart, they can then put extra resources on the "heroic" version rather than having to craft a fresh Max level version

Variise

N00b
Eh just as i figured , and this is a huge bother for me. Why not make being a Rogue Agent an actual thing. Not have a stupid timer attached to it , that shit annoys to me to no end. Also gives people a reason to have 2 characters , but since they decided to go this route there isnt much growth for that aspect of the game. Why i think its stupid , some jack ass runs up on me kills me as im fighting some NPCs in the Dark Zone i rez go back he is still there i get my revenge. So i continue to finish off the NPCs jack ass comes back and not Rogue now , then kills me again and then runs off and hides to clear his timer. That shit is dumb as fuck and a shitty system and will probably prevent me from truly enjoying that part of the game and im sure many others will feel the same, once more and more jack asses pursue this type of bullshit.
I just picked up the game. Maybe we can group up?

Is there a rerolled TS server where we can all meet up to play? It should help cut down on the crazies ... protection through numbers and superior firepower!