Tool might eventually release a new album someday

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Exactly.
You may want to look into one of those places/sites that copy, more or less, CDs and digital tunes to vinyl.
No clue how expensive that is, but worth a shot.
Doesn't copying digital to vinyl destroy the whole point?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Exactly.
You may want to look into one of those places/sites that copy, more or less, CDs and digital tunes to vinyl.
No clue how expensive that is, but worth a shot.
I will look more into that, original would be the best obviously, thank you.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Do you like Pneuma?

Okay, I gave it a deep-dive listen with my full attention.

Remember when Maynard used to do this thing called singing?

Remember when Tool used to make you have a higher sperm count just for having listened to it?

Remember when he used to say 'Fuck you buddy send more money!' and 'Go fuck yourself!' and 'I can say what I want to!"...?

Now it's all about 'waking up' to the fact that we are 'all one breath' and 'all one spark' all while forgetting what it was like to bang your head.

Hippy trippy meandering pseudo-spiritual commie nonsense. I can stand hippy trippy lyrics if the music has soul. I can stand hippy trippy music if the lyrics have balls. This song has neither.

I'm not sure if Tool has changed or if I have changed. Maybe both. Probably both. But these songs are doing nothing for me on any level. They are technically competent, but have no soul. No heart. No balls. And if I'm being honest? Less brains than they used to have.

"I can say what I want to so go fuck yourself" is actually deeper and more advanced and more intelligent than "We are all one spark".

Last edited:
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Dr. Disrespect on Twitch promotes music made by random nobodies, and that shit has more of a pulse than this.

I'm not trying to hate. You must understand. It's not hate. It's complete disappointment.

Remember, I discovered Tool before MTV or the Radio did. If anything, I was one of the people who made MTV and the Radio play Sober for the first time because they had to recognize my demographic. I've been to every Tool show in my city except for one (the very first one, Lalapalooza). I can recite every lyric from every song by heart.

I do not hate this album. My goal is not hate. My goal is honesty. And honestly, this album is boring and even pretentious and fart-sniffing.

Maybe I'm wrong. I used to hate Radiohead for being boring and pretentious and I eventually came around to liking them. Check back in 5 years and maybe I'll like this album.

For now though? I maintain that this is not Tool. It looks like Tool, it sounds, sorta, like Tool. But it's not Tool.

I don't know.

I can't be anything but honest with myself and, thus, with ya'll. It's an honest review.

This must be what Mike Stoklasa felt like when he saw the Star Trek reboot.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
It's Friday night, I've had a few beers, and so I'm going to keep going (spiral out).

Imagine a team of engineers who were to (hypothetically) create the Porsche, the Ferrari, the Rolls Royce, and the Lamborghini. Then, all the sudden, years later, they create the Nissan Cube.

Every rivet and screw and nail in the Cube is perfect. Every angle is flawless. The machining is of the highest quality. The engine purrs like a kitten. It rides smooth and requires little maintenance. It is soft and comfortable and does what it is intended to do. It comes at a low price.

But it's a Nissan Cube.

Do we say that the Cube is a work of genius magic just because the creators of it also once, in the past, created the Rolls Royce or the Ferrari?

If Gordon Ramsay creates 6 Michelin starred restaurants, does it automatically mean that his 7th restaurant should also be Michelin starred... just because?

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider
You're a big Tool fan, but it took you 2 months to give an album that people have been anticipating for 13 years an attentive listen. You're also criticizing Maynard for his "pseudo-spirital" lyrics when he's been doing this ever since 1997 at least.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. The only one sniffing their own farts is you, in this very thread.

I don't care if you don't like it, but at least don't lie and try to make it seem like your opinion is worth more than it is.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You're a big Tool fan, but it took you 2 months to give an album that people have been anticipating for 13 years an attentive listen. You're also criticizing Maynard for his "pseudo-spirital" lyrics when he's been doing this ever since 1997 at least.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. The only one sniffing their own farts is you, in this very thread.

I don't care if you don't like it, but at least don't lie and try to make it seem like your opinion is worth more than it is.

10,000 Days had a lot of that pdeudospiritual shit, but it also had BALLS.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Dr. Disrespect on Twitch promotes music made by random nobodies, and that shit has more of a pulse than this.

I'm not trying to hate. You must understand. It's not hate. It's complete disappointment.

Remember, I discovered Tool before MTV or the Radio did. If anything, I was one of the people who made MTV and the Radio play Sober for the first time because they had to recognize my demographic. I've been to every Tool show in my city except for one (the very first one, Lalapalooza). I can recite every lyric from every song by heart.

I do not hate this album. My goal is not hate. My goal is honesty. And honestly, this album is boring and even pretentious and fart-sniffing.

Maybe I'm wrong. I used to hate Radiohead for being boring and pretentious and I eventually came around to liking them. Check back in 5 years and maybe I'll like this album.

For now though? I maintain that this is not Tool. It looks like Tool, it sounds, sorta, like Tool. But it's not Tool.

I don't know.

I can't be anything but honest with myself and, thus, with ya'll. It's an honest review.

This must be what Mike Stoklasa felt like when he saw the Star Trek reboot.
I agree with pretty much all you said and we all do change, all of your points are well received. Sucks for you though because I know how much you love most of TOOL's catalog. What is your opinion on 10,000 days AngryGerbil AngryGerbil ?

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Should of read more of the thread before posting this morning but wanted to get Gerbils' feedback before I saw the 10,000 days comment

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Following up on the difference between Lateralus/10KD and FI... Yeah Opiate had "Hush" and AEnima had "Hooker with a Penis"... But Lateralus still had "Ticks & Leeches" and 10,000 Days still had "The Pot"... Admittedly less balls than the former, but still, there is not much on FI that comes close to scratching that itch. And yeah, those are the extreme examples, but even looking at the less extreme parts the trend continues...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I agree with pretty much all you said and we all do change, all of your points are well received. Sucks for you though because I know how much you love most of TOOL's catalog. What is your opinion on 10,000 days AngryGerbil AngryGerbil ?

Vicarious.

A good song on the merits of the music itself, and a poigniant observation of Cable-News and Social Media culture. We live while the whole world dies and we can't get enough of it.

Jambi.

It is okay if their songs are about love and redemption. Jambi strikes me as a redemption song that has a large undertone of love and compassion and even revenge.... but it is done with balls and panache.

But there is a big difference between the love and redemption of a man and.... 'we are all one spark'.

The Pot.

Risky because he sings an entire octave higher than normal. But it works. Even with the higher voice it has a sense of cynicism and is done with a sense of beat and rhythm and Maynard is doing this thing called singing. He even screams in it.

Even 10,000 Days and Wings for Marie have a soul to them.

He is being fluffy but he is being fluffy about his own mother and he still manages to actually sing and bring SOUL to the song. Again, the line 'Give me my wings!' is his own mother herself having balls in the face God himself. The music of the two Judith songs on this album is slightly less nut-grabbing than previous efforts but is still far more heavy and entrancing than this meandering stuff from Fear.

"Look him in the eye and tell him.... I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one. Hallelujah." <-- this line STILL has more balls than 'we are all one spark'. And at least he was singing for most of these songs.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Really great show with great seats, image doesn’t do it justice. Maynard just hangs out in the back on these two platforms like a weirdo. Overall, sounded great but I think they’re still working on their timing with as new as the tour is. I think they really enjoy what they do though and they had a lot of fun with the audience it seemed.

View attachment 227950

Jealous. Weird they have to work on timing but I guess when you don’t play together for that damn long I can see it.

You live in Phoenix? We should grab a beer some time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Jealous. Weird they have to work on timing but I guess when you don’t play together for that damn long I can see it.

You live in Phoenix? We should grab a beer some time.

Makes me think that they did more writing in the studio than they made it sound like. If they've been jamming this shit out for years like they say then they'd have the timing down just like their other old songs right?

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
AngryGerbil AngryGerbil Would it be incorrect to say your biggest gripe with the new album is the content of the lyrics (as opposed to the melodies or styles in which the lyrics are sung)? Or are you equally disappointed in the music as well?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Doesn't copying digital to vinyl destroy the whole point?

I would not think so since analog is still analog which is still capped on the frequency it can reproduce. Think of digital as being the master. Nothing more than copying a CD to a tape. the tape does not sound like the CD, it now sounds, and takes the characteristics of a tape. Same would happen with vynyl. In fact you would want the most perfect Digital recording in order to make the vynyl so the vynyl would capture more of the nuance.

Im sure most vynyl these days comes from Digital masters. Im sure most masters these days are all digital. Long gone are the days of 8/16 track tape recorders, lol.

Last edited: