Torchlight 2

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The game needs some pruning, this is what I've been able to come up with since rolling a new char:

1)Fishing and enchanting can be cut entirely until you figure out what to do with them. Fishing is just standing around jacking off to a dumb minigame, enchanting is just gold = more stats with RNG twist, gambler serves that well enough.

2)Itemization needs rewording at the very least, tossing out all % based modifiers is also a good idea, since they either end up OP or pure shit, depends on where they apply in final calculations

3)Resist and armor mechanics are useless, since they can scale to infinity and you can't judge how are your resists doing until you get one-shotted by something. Bring back Diablo 2's resist system and figure out how to change the elemental armor mechanic into percentages. Armor being a chance to get hit seems like a better idea. Rule of a thumb: If you don't like something, copy D2.

4) Potions should work as % heal over time, the current system is dumb and their HP scaling is dumb, same for mana.

5) Skills are shit, no synergies, buffs are annoying, summons disappear between screens. You want people to use 2-3 skills in each build optimally and maybe 2-3 passives. Rip off Median's skill tree, where basically you needed 5 skills to make a character which were neatly lined up below each other sometimes. Ideally you want to make the lvl 1 version strong, so you can try it with a single point and see whether you like the mechanic or not. Ditch passives, unless they change the way the character plays, if the passive bonus can be replicated by item mod, it's shit. Dota 2 is surprisingly good inspiration for making new skills, since the ones there usually have multiple uses.

6) Mana is boring mechanic, rip off D3 if necessary for alternative resources.

7) Stats currently are pretty stupid, make items depend on str and dex, so the rest can be pumped optionally if you want a lot of HP/resources. Make skills scale with them, not autoattacks.

8) Remove the resists potions.

9) "Choice" when making a new character is stupid, unless you are math wizard, people will figure out a way to play him optimally, so you might as well make it easy for them. Punishing those who won't alt+tab to wiki that shit makes no sense.

10) You need faster access to new skills, waiting until lvl 42 to make some builds work is boring.

11) Set items should never have randomly generated mods, maybe some range in which they roll, but you should always know what you are getting without reading the description.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Without enchanting a lot of current builds don't work or don't work nearly as well. The only thing people use enchanting for is pumping base stats to ridiculous levels. If you want to eliminate enchanting, then give more stat points with each level up. You can shift the majority of stat points to the later levels, so level 100 gives you the most. As for how much, look at the amount of stat points current enchanting allows you to place on a full set of level 100 gear, then prorate that out with the level ups.

Fishing is only there for giant fish (the permanent pet changes), all the other fish suck. What I would like to see is a method to have more control over how your pet levels up. If we are going all out on a re-design, then pets should have skill trees as well.

If you are going to keep fishing, the variety of fish and what they do should increase. Also all fish buffs should be permanent and you should be able to apply two or three at a time. Obviously only one appearance changing fish could be applied at a time. Micromanaging fish feeding to the pet was cumbersome and gave almost no benefit compared just slapping on a permanent fish and leaving it at that.

Or just remove fishing and buff the pets so they don't flee 100% of the time in higher difficulty levels.

The biggest issue this game has however, is the absolutely huge number of bizarre decisions made in regards to how most of the modifiers, found on equipment, interact with skills... that shit is just impossible to figure out without tons of data collection and testing in game. But to redo all of that stuff would take forever.

Runic stated that the insanity of their mechanics was because they were just looking for the shortest route to a balanced game and wanted people to just play it and not power game it. This just made it frustrating as hell trying to figure anything out with regards to picking loot.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is there any reason for someone who doesn't view D3 as a catastrophic failure and even still enjoys playing it from time to time to buy TL2? I got a free $10 gift card, it was on sale for $10 yesterday, I placed it in my cart and was about to buy it, essentially for free, when I realized when would I ever play this game?
It is fun and I sunk probably 30+ hr in it just playing single player

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
If you like ARPGs its worth getting at the very least to play through once as one of the classes. You'll get $10 worth of fun out of it.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Without enchanting a lot of current builds don't work or don't work nearly as well. The only thing people use enchanting for is pumping base stats to ridiculous levels. If you want to eliminate enchanting, then give more stat points with each level up. You can shift the majority of stat points to the later levels, so level 100 gives you the most. As for how much, look at the amount of stat points current enchanting allows you to place on a full set of level 100 gear, then prorate that out with the level ups.

Fishing is only there for giant fish (the permanent pet changes), all the other fish suck. What I would like to see is a method to have more control over how your pet levels up. If we are going all out on a re-design, then pets should have skill trees as well.

If you are going to keep fishing, the variety of fish and what they do should increase. Also all fish buffs should be permanent and you should be able to apply two or three at a time. Obviously only one appearance changing fish could be applied at a time. Micromanaging fish feeding to the pet was cumbersome and gave almost no benefit compared just slapping on a permanent fish and leaving it at that.

Or just remove fishing and buff the pets so they don't flee 100% of the time in higher difficulty levels.

The biggest issue this game has however, is the absolutely huge number of bizarre decisions made in regards to how most of the modifiers, found on equipment, interact with skills... that shit is just impossible to figure out without tons of data collection and testing in game. But to redo all of that stuff would take forever.

Runic stated that the insanity of their mechanics was because they were just looking for the shortest route to a balanced game and wanted people to just play it and not power game it. This just made it frustrating as hell trying to figure anything out with regards to picking loot.
Or just remove fish and make pets non-combat, seems like quick and dirty solution. Yeah, that's basically what I mean with enchanting being useless, you are just rolling for very specific stats, stat gain adjusted seems like a straightforward solution.

I also dislike the idea that the same character can fight on 4 different difficulties, normal-veteran-elite would make for a better progression and you wouldn't get dicked over with bad drops and skills requiring high level.

So that's why skills behave so random. Well, that would be fine if they wanted people to play it once and drop the game, but for any kind of replayability, you need solid and transparent mechanics.

I've got a lil' bit more than 100 hours into this game and I'm pretty sure most of that is just from sitting in town staring at equipment cards and wailing on the test dummy, also using the console to respec over and over and over.

The problem with enchanting I have is accessibility, the town chanters are junk, and random chanters are a commodity you never want to use because they wander off. Factor in how often you upgrade gear and the cost and it turns into something you completely avoid until much much later in the game. Granted straight damage on weapons is very useful and worthwhile at all levels but everything else not so much.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Thinking of turning fishing into something a little more complicated, maybe mold it after breath of fire series. Need certain poles and lures to catch certain fish and the fish can be turned in for rewards/used for recipes.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Bought the 4 pack for me and a few pals. I'd meant to pick this up when it released and have just had too much to do. Played for a couple hours tonight on Elite and it was pretty fun.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I pretty impressed by this game. I don't know if I could play it over and over again, but it is certainly worth the $10 I paid for it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Started a new game with Synergies mod+high loot. Makes the game both a lot easier and a lot harder so I guess that is balanced. Easier because super high levels gems drop like +86 HP regen a sec and +900HP etc, but mobs hit like trucks and there is a ton of them. Trying Outlander and haven't really found a ranged weapon type I like yet. Shotguns fire so slow but I like the AOE, pistols seem really weak, and bows so far don't have the added effects of knock back I like.

If anyone wants to roll together(vanilla or otherwise) hit me up on Steam, add Hatorade(same avatar) or try account name Drakonin.

Love Torchlight 2, Can't get into it again just yet have all these damn games i bought and need to play still >.<

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
TL2 is a great game. It gave me many hours of entertainment. For $10? It's not even a question: buy it.

It doesn't have tons of replayability, but there is some. I found it similar to Titan's Quest in replayability.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if anyone has messed with this lately, but I just checked out the mods for this and this is a completely different game.

Just ONE mod of many adds this -

~ Synergies Mod Description ~
The first full conversion and balance mod for Torchlight 2!

106 Elite Monsters - Tougher Monsters, carrying better loots. Randomly spawning additional to the raised vanilla spawns.
106 Hero Monsters - not the average size.
11+ World Bosses and 6 Rare Dragons - The ultimate challenge! Some spawning as Raid Bosses, on the overworld maps, or randomly with a Phase Beast!
24 Endgame Raid Dungeons and Overworld Maps! - Raid like dungeon chains, challenging and fun, with different Bosses awaiting you at the end!
5 Legendary Armor Sets, 23 New Legendary Weapons! - Uniquely skinned endgame Items, made from crafting supplies dropped by the World Bosses.
4 New Classes - Necromancer! Paladin! Ninja!
Countless (50+) New Pets
1 New Town 8)
many more custom Dungeons, Mods and useful things!
a completely new playthrough experience and ton's of endgame content. keeping you busy, not only after level 100!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only that, but there are mods to fix existing classes if you really liked those but thought they could be better. Also graphical updates. I'm impressed and going to find some mods and start playing again.

http://www.gamefront.com/5-best-torc...e-guts-editor/- This is older so there might be better updates, but just shows some of the early modding.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been looking to get into a game other than Dota2 that doesn't need such un-divided attention. With the way BL2 has gone, with it just being a farm fest, I turned my looks to TL2. With the mods and new classes, I think it may be worth it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That sounds good I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks Delly for the heads up.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
No problemo, I would also check out the steam workshop. It has the Synergies mod, plus a few other good classes and the graphical updates too.

I would say the new classes are OKAY at best. Some either too OP, too weak, unfinished, or too bland. I've tried about 4-5 but I mostly come back to the original ones.

At the very least, Synergies mod is a must in my opinion, but there are a lot of other ones that work well with it.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I tried to like this game. I'm weird. I liked D3 and played the shit out of it and made some cash off it too, but I bought 2 copies of TL2 for me and the wife, and just cannot get into it. I probably ruined it though, because I added some mod classes, and they were kinda OP. That and it's like WTF is the point of leveling up a high level char in this game. At least in D3 I could go after some of the recognizable legendaries, and make some money too. I dunno, wish I could enjoy the game more. Tempted to try PoE, but I figure it will be the same way.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never played D3, but I enjoyed D1 and D2. While I enjoyed and beat TL2, one big problem with it is that at least a couple of the builds consist of just picking 1-2 active skills, 1-2 passives and just completely run the tables with it. That doesn't make engaging and long lasting gameplay.

A wand embermage focused on chaos procs and the piercing fire shot just completely mauled on those 2 skills alone.