Torchlight: Infinite

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
But only in an abstract mechanical sense. There's so much shit going on that whatever ends up killing you is usually happening inside of human reaction/processing time.

The comment wasn't what kills you (Even GGG has said they can't even code that -- somehow, even though every ARPG on the planet at this point can and does). It was about "what's going on". And yes, you do know. I bet you that Deathwing Deathwing can spend 5 hours and 82 paragraphs explaining the detailed mechanics about a full screen explode build, shit that passes to other mobs, and all that stuff that a newcomer will never ever even think about. And even experienced people like me won't think about.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya if only there was a game mode that steered you away from the face roll meta garbage and required to you to come up with clever solutions

Lack of a damage log leading up to death in PoE is really stupid

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
PoE already has a fundamental problem where a significant portion of content(i.e. gear and gems) cannot be solo self farmed by veteran players in the timespan of one league. Ruthless might restore some of that feeling of accomplishment via creativity but then completely undermines it at the same time by moving more content out of the player's hands. I don't think a smaller sandbox is ever the correct answer.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
PoE already has a fundamental problem where a significant portion of content(i.e. gear and gems) cannot be solo self farmed by veteran players in the timespan of one league. Ruthless might restore some of that feeling of accomplishment via creativity but then completely undermines it at the same time by moving more content out of the player's hands. I don't think a smaller sandbox is ever the correct answer.

Speaking of did anyone manage to do the ruthless challenges this league for the exile con tickets?

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Other than hitting 100 I finished the league. I would try for 100 but I did not get the right pet setup. I'm sure with a few leagues, as I'm not going to spend now to make up for the time, I will have more XP protection pets with enough levels.

Overall, it's the most fun in the end game in an ARPG I've played in a while. The classes I played felt great right away. Gemma autobomber cleared from a league start very well. Thea2 berserkering blade agil stacker felt like playing a HH character. The game has a bunch of autobombers(CoC, CwC, minions). Build varieties are interesting and there are several ways to build similar characters. Full juiced maps, despite their brevity, actually felt okay.

The gameplay loop of fishing for cards in the lower tier and juicing only the right combos could be improved. Crafting needs to be improved and this version was build-limiting. Boss fights are at Path of Exile's level; I would like to see a pinnacle boss added more in line with Lost Ark's legion raids. The energy system feels arbitrary(kills value on drops at low levels). Good loot or big loot explosions feels too rare and I say that having a 20k FE character that I got not even knowing the proper farming strats.

PoE does have more content. PoE could even be the better game if they were to implement all of TLI's QoL. Maybe, if GGG were to make PoE feel that it's a live service being developed in the current decade. But, the league start did feel better, even as a new player, in Torchlight than it did the last two leagues returning to PoE.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
After playing this weekend I am amazed at how effective this dev team is:
-Fixed crafting so it's actually feasible and build-enabling
-Changed the card system to what I feel is virtually perfect
-In map mechanic ( granted it does have a loading screen) uses the maps mods for loot scaling
-The out of map Mechanic zone is enormous (2x the size of a large PoE map)
-Mechanic zone scales endlessly for increased loot/difficulty
-The pass character is worth it(I didn't like bing that much last league)
-Admitted that a drop rate change was bad and promptly fixed it.

A dev team that doesn't have a core philosophy of gating fun behind tedium is refreshing. The new season is amazing.

• 2Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
-In map mechanic ( granted it does have a loading screen) uses the maps mods for loot scaling

A dev team that doesn't have a core philosophy of gating fun behind tedium is refreshing. The new season is amazing.

I need to play this season. Linky me a good build to explode maps lol.

I played the erika last season which I loved the mobility of and the constant AE of everything. Just braindead mapping.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

Did they make it so you can skip the story? I can't replay it for that reason.

• 1Like

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
I need to play this season. Linky me a good build to explode maps lol.

I played the erika last season which I loved the mobility of and the constant AE of everything. Just braindead mapping.

Cold Iris is what I am working towards(starter guide / endgame showcase). Currently, I am using lighting but that cold build looks great. The graphics AIDS can be turned off. CwC ring of ice thea2 was great last league. Milky has a juicer builds showcase video with links.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
A big thing I noticed. We can bank 1 in map mechanic, by picking the shape and not running it. So, at n-1 don't run the mechanic. At activation you get an extra mechanic run with the 100% quant + other card mod. It's huge for stuff like the extra quant or chest cards; the chest card spawns the full number in each mechanic run, 12 chests instead of 4 with the legendary card.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
The event they have running until the end of the month is the most fun I've had playing an ARPG since PoE 3.16 blasting 4 vessel rituals--where I got my two mirror drops in less than 24 hours. I'm playing a focus blessing stacking Thea2 Ring of Ice with TLI's version of a Headhunter. Eternity doesn't have the rare mod stealing but the buffs give the usual dmg, area effect, defenses, move speed, etc..

This game is far above and beyond Diablo4 or Last Epoch. The bleeding-edge top-end crafting could use a tweak but that's my only major complaint(a .03% chance to craft my current upgrade). A PoE replacement that embraced the zoom with few barriers between the player and fun. Any ARPG fans writing this off because lol-mobile-game or thinking it's p2w are doing themselves a major disservice.

1700319156717.png

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I came to the realization that I could not stomach doing the act progression a third week in a row in PoE events so I loaded this up.

The season effect of shooting your main skill while moving is quite enjoyable as a ranged character. Enjoying it so far early in progression.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
This is one of those games where I'd 100% play if I could sit down at the PC 1 or 2 hours a day or something.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, I have to say I am enjoying my playthrough on this. It has enough of a hook that I am actually enjoying the grind.

The game takes a page from both PoE and mobile games in that it has a million currencies/shards and a million different mechanics that have "gear" attachments that affect and change the character. It is overly complex and somewhat inaccessible, but I've kind of hacked my way through it.

I tried to follow a build, then realized the set-up I already had was doing better DPS than the build so I just reverted back (lol).

I can honestly say that without the auto-attack effect of the pre-season I am not sure I would have liked this game as much.

Currently level 82 Hunter running Timemark 4 on the third unlocked area. I am definitely not going to be pushing millions of dps to endgame so this game definitely has an expiry date for me.