Torchlight: Infinite

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's been ages so I don't recall the previous torchlight games as much. Infinite feels like they iterated upon Last Epoch, poor independent dev team, with plenty stolen from Path of Exile. I would pay $15 per league for a similarly limited currency looting pet in PoE; it's part of the monthly pass with other rewards in TLI. But, the loot vacuum button is good enough for those that don't want to pay. Most of the QoL changes I would ever want TLI has. The game doesn't explain any in-game mechanics, but that's normal now and even more so for games with similar monetization. Gacha for pets with some player power is minor p2w.

So far, TLI doesn't have the map density of PoE. Granted, I'm only doing tm7 maps, 8 is the end game with a damage/def increase similar to 100% delirium in PoE, and I haven't used much for mapping resources yet. It is nice not having to roll maps and pay attention for build countering mods. The game is fewer clicks; the mapping I'm doing is about a third of the clicks of even alch and go mapping in PoE(getting old sucks).

I had more fun this weekend playing this than I had recently with PoE. I didn't even bother with this d4 beta weekend. I feel that the mobile tag drove people off, it's why I hadn't given it any attention, and it's one of the best ARPGs out ATM.

Yeah I feel like this. Really enjoying the game, and think it's fantastic. It's got great potential. I like TLI even more than Last Epoch. I do feel the mobile shit ruins a lot of it. I hope they come up with some kind of PC only client or at least a PC optimized one. But even with that said, its still just great.

Between games like D4, and this (to a lesser extent), Last Epoch, and other ARPGs coming I feel that path of exile is rapidly losing it's appeal to me. After playing TLI, the idea of right clicking wisdom scrolls to id 400 things in my stash feels like something I don't ever want to do again. I've been very vocal that I think path of exile is fucking amazing, but that GGG's philosophy that terrible QOL == game difficulty drives me fucking nuts.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I feel like this. Really enjoying the game, and think it's fantastic. It's got great potential. I like TLI even more than Last Epoch. I do feel the mobile shit ruins a lot of it. I hope they come up with some kind of PC only client or at least a PC optimized one. But even with that said, its still just great.

Between games like D4, and this (to a lesser extent), Last Epoch, and other ARPGs coming I feel that path of exile is rapidly losing it's appeal to me. After playing TLI, the idea of right clicking wisdom scrolls to id 400 things in my stash feels like something I don't ever want to do again. I've been very vocal that I think path of exile is fucking amazing, but that GGG's philosophy that terrible QOL == game difficulty drives me fucking nuts.

TLI's big issues are the horrible and buggy UI, at least for PC, plus the shortness of maps. If maps were 2-3x longer it would be nearly perfect. Of course, all similar games require a PoB program or a test environment akin to Lost Ark and studios should provide them.

I'm playing a LL melee character that feels like a HH cyclone back in Legion, screen-wide AE with insane movement speed. Anyone that thinks that TLI is lacking in build depth is severely mistaken. This build has so many mechanics.

The last one was a walking sim CwC autobomber that changed the mechanics of the spell from point-blank to auto-targeting-ranged. Froze everything. I couldn't figure out how to scale it to t8s though. But it did dark surge t7s with no clicks.

I'm not sure I'll play PoE again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How easy is it to figure out those mechanics without pob? Do they have a wiki?

Last edited:

bolok

Trakanon Raider
There’s a target dummy to help test out things. Not sure if there’s an actual pob for tl

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The PC UI is terribad. That'w what I mean when I said the mobile aspects of the game ruin it. It doesnt mean its unplayable, it just really distracts from the experience.

The chat window being limited to 50 characters, the massive text even at smallest UI scale, etc. They need to re-do the UI on the pc something serious.

• 1Like

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
The English wiki that I saw wasn't worthwhile. Maybe there's a Chinese one but IDK. There is a data mined site. The test dummy gives a general idea but it doesn't get a full ramp-up that one gets from certain effects. With a trash economy, this league, and the horrible crafting changes testing builds requires more currency than I know how to farm. I guess the previous crafting system was practically an item editor but that would have made testing builds practical.

I'm doing full juiced t8s and maps finally feel good. Granted, I am playing a build that can be fully countered by mods and I have to pay attention when rolling. t8 map sustain feels bad and I'm probably not using a proper strat to maximize their use.

update on my impressions on the p2w: The paid classes are just better than the free ones with a huge power difference; Thea is easy billions of dps. The right pets make a big impact on fresh characters. Certain farming strats also get improved by some of the pet unlocks.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Please stop giving these P2W piles your money, I'm begging you.

It will never end if you keep playing them.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Honestly, this game isn't really p2w in an unreasonable manner. If you want to keep up with the characters its $15 every 90 days.

The pactspirits, which are the primary thing you get if you throw money at the same, just aren't required. While you have things like the cube tripler pactspirit, the loot it will triple 99% of the time you already get plenty of and you'll be swimming in tons of useless currency you can't do anything about. It's only good when you get an FE, and even better when you hit the 25% to double greed it. But you'll also lose it too 75% of the time.

Overall, on it's face, it seems like a HUGE boost (omg triple loot!) but it's akin to buying triple wisdom scroll and triple transmutation orb drops 99% of the time, and 2 additional divine orbs (which I'd say a 60+ FE cube double greed would be) probably 0.1% of the time. A truly expensive, good item is probably 0.001% of the time. That also does not count the amount of FE you lose while failed greeding or other expensive, good items. If they start coming out with pactspirits that are truly exceptionally powerful and gated behind paywalls, I'll certainly change my tune.

Just because a game is free doesn't make it P2W. $15 every 90 days is perfectly fair for a game like this given the entertainment value provided for me. And even if your P2W bar is exceptionally low, the amount of P2W is far, far less than games like Genshin Impact, or any other gacha stamina/timegated monstrosity.

• 1Like

Kythik

Molten Core Raider

Please stop giving money to studios that believe tedium is content or difficulty. I'm begging you. It will never end if you keep paying them.

I've spent more on tabs in PoE than I have unlocking the classes in TLI. The better/higher level gacha pets are most impactful for a few hours on a new character. There are no gear or skills to buy with cash. If anything the gacha cosmetics is some fuckery but that just seems like a poor decision on their part. This is less p2w than LAO.

I went in free on the first weekend. Enjoyed it a lot. Spent $50 for the pass, to unlock classes, and get more inventory/bank space. The autoloot pet is worthless and I have to hold the loot vacuum anyway.

I really suggest any PoE player give it an honest try. It has less content and high-end encounters than PoE but it felt like a better game within the first few levels. None of that first 100 hours of absolute trash that PoE has every league start.

• 1Truth!

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Please stop giving money to studios that believe tedium is content or difficulty. I'm begging you. It will never end if you keep paying them.

I've spent more on tabs in PoE than I have unlocking the classes in TLI. The better/higher level gacha pets are most impactful for a few hours on a new character. There are no gear or skills to buy with cash. If anything the gacha cosmetics is some fuckery but that just seems like a poor decision on their part. This is less p2w than LAO.

I went in free on the first weekend. Enjoyed it a lot. Spent $50 for the pass, to unlock classes, and get more inventory/bank space. The autoloot pet is worthless and I have to hold the loot vacuum anyway.

I really suggest any PoE player give it an honest try. It has less content and high-end encounters than PoE but it felt like a better game within the first few levels. None of that first 100 hours of absolute trash that PoE has every league start.

I think PoE is still in a better position, overall, than TLI. However, the tedium of clicks and GGG's refusial to add basic QOL has been sealing the deal for me in the last few expansions more and more. I'm not even talking about trade. Just basic, elementary stuff, like auto-sorting in tabs, or basic stack sizes rather than some things being 10, some 20, some 30, some 40. And not only that, when they DO add QoL, it often fucking sucks. Like search for something in the passive tree. Can you find it? Now do it in PoB, its got a giant red circle. What about figuring out what oils to use for a skill? Just a little icon of the oil is all you get. Hard as fuck to read what they are. What about playing PoE with absolutely no 3rd party filters, addons, or enhancements? Fucking sucks.

The QOL of PoE greatly damages the game. In TLI, it enhances it. The "game" of PoE is superior to TLI, but TLI is more fun to play.

In crucible I think I got 8 challenges before I quit. I'm not sure I'll play much more poe at this point in my life. I really love the game, and I'd come back if they put in basic, elementary QOL that is expected from any game. If PoE was new today, everyone would shit all over those design decisions. People making fun of me playing RF last 3 leagues, but its just to save my fucking wrists.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
If TLI is more fun is it really the inferior game? Either way, the old guard at GGG needs to go. Once D4's shitty slow as fuck pace fails I hope the ARGP genre embraces the faster-paced huge density that PoE 3.16 excelled at. I guess that is what GGG could do to get me back playing, self-curse HH occultist farming rituals was peak ARPG for me. Even without the two mirrors I had dropped that league.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
You really think POE's "the whole screen must explode without anyone can tell what's really going on" is better than say D4's approach? I always thought POE's game was so beyond repair that only your build versus the whole mess was the actual meta game

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You don't play PoE. You play PoB and then verify your build in PoE.

The gameplay is mechanics interactions and depth of character progression. There's definitely something to be said for it being too fast and having to get immunity for a whole slew of ailments. I don't think D4 trading this for shallower mechanics and progression is an improvement. In a genre that revolves around grinding, the gameplay of killing non-boss monsters will never hold longterm appeal.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You really think POE's "the whole screen must explode without anyone can tell what's really going on" is better than say D4's approach? I always thought POE's game was so beyond repair that only your build versus the whole mess was the actual meta game

Which is why I play HC Ruthless

Kythik

Molten Core Raider

Yes, at least with the current design of the genre. Else one ends up taking 20 years to farm the 2nd rarest item ala d2. If the game wants to be slow then give me an item editor via crafting and nothing with a .0000001% drop rate killing a handful of mobs every 30 seconds. Sure some masochists like not getting loot; PoE's Ruthless shows how niche that is as GGG has to heavily incentivize most people to play it with events. The game mode that is magically taking zero development time from other aspects of the game....right.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Yes. Because by the time you can have a build where the whole screen explodes, you do in fact know exactly what's going on.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yes. Because by the time you can have a build where the whole screen explodes, you do in fact know exactly what's going on.

But only in an abstract mechanical sense. There's so much shit going on that whatever ends up killing you is usually happening inside of human reaction/processing time.