Torrents

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That Matroska Diag works super fucking fast...but since that post was from 2007, the output no longer has a nice, concise "File Complete? Yes or No" output, so I have no idea where to see if a file is complete or not. If I could figure out how to read the output to determine that, it would solve my problem because it scans any mkv file (even the 16GB Man of Steel one (I RDP'd into my home computer)) in a matter of seconds.

It was my understanding that CuteFTP verified checksums after downloading automatically. I certainly never turned anything off. But I could easily be wrong about it being automatic too. It seems mysterious to me that it could pass the ftp download check, start playing, and then randomly stop in the middle too. But that's what it does. And it isn't an error on my NAS either. I first download them to an internal HD and then copy them over, and the original file fails too. And switching which drive it copies to makes no difference, so unless all of my drives have random glitches, that can't be it. It has to be something in the CuteFTP engine failing me. And like I said, the free trial does it to me too, so it isn't even "pirated copy = bad."

I'm stumped, but if I could read that diagnostic output properly, I'd probably be happy enough. I mean, I'd love for it to download perfectly every time, but no idea how to fix that either.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Tried out this:http://alexander-noe.com/video/mkvverify/

It takes longer, and is command line driven instead of a nice drag-and-drop GUI, but seems more intensive.

I took a file I knew was bad, the UFC fight from this weekend which stopped after 2 hours of playing perfectly, and it gave this result almost instantly:
file name: UFC.166.Velasquez.v.Dos Santos.III.19th.Oct.2013.HDTV.x264.720p-Sir.Paul.mkv

(mkv parser) file is b0rked:
pos. 4,532,178,329: 1st byte of EBML-ID indicates size larger than 4

(mkv parser) warning:
pos. 4,532,178,331: read undefined length

(mkv parser) note:
File type: Matroska v2

1st byte of EBML-ID indicates size larger than 4

Entry 1 of Seek head 1 (SeekID: 11 4D 9B 74) pointing to bad position!

Entry 4 of Seek head 1 (SeekID: 1C 53 BB 6B) pointing to bad position!

(mkv parser) warning:
Neither cues nor index to clusters present. Seeking will most likely be slow

(mkv parser) warning:

pos. 4,532,178,329: 1st byte of EBML-ID indicates size larger than 4

end of last segment is not end of file

(mkv parser) warning:

pos. 566,528,081: 1st byte of EBML-ID indicates size larger than 4

pos. 566,528,081: 1st byte of EBML-ID indicates size larger than 4

Then I tried Man of Steel that I've been referring to (which I have not watched yet, so I'm unsure if it is good or not). Took around 5 minutes probably. This is the result I got:

file name: Man of Steel (2013) [1080p BluRay x264 DTS] [PG-13].mkv

(mkv parser) note:

Error: PrevTC: 8582491, Ref: 1, TC: 8582574

I'm assuming that means there is a time code error somewhere, but I'm not certain. For reference, a file I know is clean and works perfectly gives this:
file name: Arrow.S02E01.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:
Seekhead contains link to another Seekhead
I've confirmed that result on multiple "good" files, so I have no fucking clue what that implies.

Still, if someone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

bambitrixi_sl

shitlord
FTP programs don't really work all that well. I have CuteFTP but prefer using a download manager to get stuff from my seedbox. You can use a DL manager like IDM through a browser. They have a tendency to be better at multi-part downloading and putting back together.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
FTP programs don't really work all that well. I have CuteFTP but prefer using a download manager to get stuff from my seedbox. You can use a DL manager like IDM through a browser. They have a tendency to be better at multi-part downloading and putting back together.
You aren't lying. Although, I've been having better luck lately once I got rid of the whole automated thing and just downloading them individually by myself.

I use DownThemAll, which almost every review says is fantastic for multi-part downloading. I set it to maximum parts (and many settings in-between), and I still can't max out my bandwidth to my seedbox. Also, I'm not sure if it would actually show the multiple parts or not like the ftp client does, but I only see one ".dtapart" file no matter how many parts I set it to. It could be doing it all behind the scenes, but since I can't max out my bandwidth like I can with ftp, I just don't know. However, I have seen where it will download a fairly large (several GB) file, and when it finishes my whole computer goes nonresponsive for up to 30 seconds or so, and my cpu and disk write access spikes. I'm assuming that is when it is recombining the file, which never happens if I have it set to single part, so perhaps it really is working. But not hitting max speed sort of defeats the purpose for me using it. If you have any specific tips, I'd love to hear them.

The only other advantage to ftp is that you can download an entire directory at once. With the Whatbox file manager and something like DownThemAll, you have to download each file one at a time, so if you've got 50 rar files...fuck that noise. That's the one thing I can think of that Whatbox needs to improve.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Odd. I use CuteFTP Pro, set to 8 multi-part downloads, and I consistently max out my 50 mbps connection connecting to whatbox. Works great.

The only thing that is a little frustrating is that downloads inevitably slow down a little bit right at the end, once the transfer has completed multiple parts and I'm down to just 1 or 2 parts left, they keep on going at the same speed, rather than ramping up and using the entire 50 mpbs. So in actual usage, my download usually ends up averaging like 45mbps across the entire download time.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Sorry, maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been. With CuteFTP, I max out my bandwidth when doing 8-part. With DownThemAll, where I have set it to 10-part (supposedly), it doesn't max me out ever. That's why I wonder if it is really doing multiple parts.

The reason the final 1 or 2 parts of CuteFTP don't max out your speed is because, assuming you are using a Whatbox, it is probably coming from the Netherlands and a single connection can't max you out due to distance/connections in between not being fast enough. Hence the need for an 8-part download in the first place, to max out your speed. If you could max out a single connection...you'd just download it as a single file every time.

Which now makes me wonder. I use PrivateInternetAccess as a VPN, and I'm sure there are some servers near (if not actually in) Netherlands. I wonder if I could just set it to that server and download in 1 part without issue. PIA always maxes out my speed, so I'm thinking that might work. I'll have to give it a try.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure if this is the right place: Sometimes when running uTorrent(3.2.1) it will randomly speed up and slow down/stop, and this effects my internet speed in general on this computer when it happens. I start it up and it will start to climb up in speed like normal but then usually within 10 seconds or so it will start to just die off back to near 0. Will hang around at some shitty superslow speed (60kB/s right now) a lot too.

This doesn't happen all the time and as far as I can tell there's no unifying reason when it does, though I haven't done a ton of checking. When it happens if I close uTorrent the rest of my internetting goes right back to normal speed. Usually when I start a torrent it just hits peak speed and hums along until done. Really just curious if this is a common thing and if there's some super simple fix for retards like me.

Sterling

El Presidente
UTorrent mostly sucks. At least recent builds do since they all give you that stupid disk overload shit that does what you describe. I use an older build of UTorrent now, can't remember exactly which one exactly but it's fairly old.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3.2.1 actually is an older one(not sure how much older). Myanonamouse decided a bit back that they wouldn't allow newer ones for some technical reason and I had to downgrade to that one.

This shit is obnoxious. Normally it just hits 6.2MB/s or so and finishes in a couple minutes. Fastest I've seen on current torrent was 2.3MB/s and that started crapping out within about 20 seconds.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
3.2.1 actually is an older one(not sure how much older). Myanonamouse decided a bit back that they wouldn't allow newer ones for some technical reason and I had to downgrade to that one.

This shit is obnoxious. Normally it just hits 6.2MB/s or so and finishes in a couple minutes. Fastest I've seen on current torrent was 2.3MB/s and that started crapping out within about 20 seconds.
I hate their elitist rules and pain in the ass system. Luckily I was in their IRC and somebody ran an impromptu contest and give me quite a few points so I didn't have any issues with my points there.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you even try to seed at all there it's a piece of cake. You get so many points just for leaving shit up you can buy all the ratio you need. I'm sitting at a 434:1 ratio just from dumping points on the 5gb upload thing back when points capped at 10k. They're really pretty forgiving as long as you make an effort.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't know, everything I have downloaded I have left on my seedbox for months and little to no traction. The thing is I am not downloading huge amounts. Maybe that would help?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know, everything I have downloaded I have left on my seedbox for months and little to no traction. The thing is I am not downloading huge amounts. Maybe that would help?
I've downloaded 1 audiobook, everything else is just little epubs. Less than 2gb downloaded total.

Are you just not getting the bonus points at all? I don't get much done actually uploading, there's just not enough traffic and the epubs aren't big enough that you get much that way. It's more just a matter of leaving them up long enough you get outside the HnR window(edit: Looked it up, it's 72 hours) and using points to buy some upload credit.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I haven't hit 1:1 on any of my downloads yet.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the ungodly amount of upload you need for VIP.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't hit 1:1 on any of my downloads yet.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the ungodly amount of upload you need for VIP.
You're using the site wrong.

You don't need to hit 1:1 on individual torrents. It's nice, but not necessary. Just need to try to upload them for a total of 72 hours within 30 days of downloading them. After that you are clear on that individual torrent. And the whole time you aretryingto upload you are earning Bonus Points. Use those points to fix your total site ratio by buying upload credit(just click under your name where it says "Bonus: 2719"). Use those same points to buy VIP for 28 days at a time(5000 points). Should earn enough points to be VIP forever, especially if you are not downloading large files that force you to buy upload credits a lot. I've bought 700gb+ worth of upload, but I actually could have just used the points my inviter gave me day 1 to buy 5gb once and my ratio would still be way over 1:1 to this day a year and change later.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if this is the right place: Sometimes when running uTorrent(3.2.1) it will randomly speed up and slow down/stop, and this effects my internet speed in general on this computer when it happens. I start it up and it will start to climb up in speed like normal but then usually within 10 seconds or so it will start to just die off back to near 0. Will hang around at some shitty superslow speed (60kB/s right now) a lot too.

This doesn't happen all the time and as far as I can tell there's no unifying reason when it does, though I haven't done a ton of checking. When it happens if I close uTorrent the rest of my internetting goes right back to normal speed. Usually when I start a torrent it just hits peak speed and hums along until done. Really just curious if this is a common thing and if there's some super simple fix for retards like me.
Try increasing your cache size, that should solve your problem.
MOknCny.png

blackac3

Trakanon Raider
I had a similar issue with torrents slowing down/stopping altogether and tried the above! I increased my Disk Cache in uTorrent 3.3.2 30303(32-bit) from 128-256 using the override and the torrents seem to be a lot smoother now.

Thank you very much, I'm glad I stopped in

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it could also be "mechanical" issue, your working on photoshop and that disk your dumping torrents to is your swap file(disk) or you're streaming stuff to your other devices, htpc/ipad, basically if you're working that disc at the same time you're torrenting, issues could arise, simple fix is to get a torrent only disk, make sure you don't have subpar disks (even 5400 rpms are good for "green" disk bad for multitask but good for energy savings/heat and only 1 task) or even just d/l to ssd. easiest way, separate torrent disk.