Torrents

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any easy walkthroughs or guides so I can auto download torrents using RSS or some other feature onto my seedbox (and then maybe auto download to a drive at my house)?

I'm doing this all by hand but I'd like to setup some for comics, movies, television series, etc. and then be able to see them already downloaded onto a drive when i get home from work.

Currently using Feralhosting + rtorrent.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Never used a seedbox so I'm not sure what the restrictions are but I built my own "seedbox" on debian and I had great success withFlexGet

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Any easy walkthroughs or guides so I can auto download torrents using RSS or some other feature onto my seedbox (and then maybe auto download to a drive at my house)?

I'm doing this all by hand but I'd like to setup some for comics, movies, television series, etc. and then be able to see them already downloaded onto a drive when i get home from work.

Currently using Feralhosting + rtorrent.
You can add the autodl-irssi plugin to rtorrent/rutorrent if your tracker of choice uses an IRC feed for it. I know IPT had a guide to setting it up- I would go to the forums of your tracker and see if they have a guide for their site. Or if you're using IPT let me know and I can dig up the link.

As for auto-DL from the seedbox, I haven't gotten quite that far yet. But I've seen several mentions of bittorrent sync and sickbeard. And some other program that I can't remember right now.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Myself and a couple others were using CuteFTPs feature of syncing folders for "auto downloads" but I think that was more trouble than it was worth. It seemed to introduce a bunch of issues for me, including the files being slightly corrupted, so I just went back to doing it myself. If you figure out a good way to do it, you'll be my hero at least.

For something like FlexGet, Whatbox has a great guide for all sorts of add-ons to their seedboxes, including that one. It won't be specific to yours if you use a different company, but it will probably be a good place to start at least.

Wiki Whatbox

FlexGet is on that page down towards the bottom, but I linked the whole thing because it is awesome.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sickbeard can be used with torrents. I use it with usenets, so I don't know much about how it works with torrents, but I can't imagine it'd be too hard.

I'd google how to setup sickbeard with torrents

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That Whatbox Wiki has a tutorial on Sickbeard as well. Even if you don't use a Whatbox, it is worth browsing through just to get some ideas.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am kind of up in the air right now about getting a seedbox or getting a vpn. I am leaning towards the vpn for use outside of torrents. I really don't want to pay for both, though.

Crone

I am kind of up in the air right now about getting a seedbox or getting a vpn. I am leaning towards the vpn for use outside of torrents. I really don't want to pay for both, though.
Either way is pay, and I feel a VPN would be more of a hassle of turning it on/off all the time depending on what you were doing?

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
I did a VPN first, then switched to a seedbox after a week or so. Regret signing up for a full year on the VPN, but it wasn't a huge cost. Really addicted to the seedbox now.

My biggest problem with the VPN is how much of a pain in the ass it was outside of torrents. Google's autosecurity gets pissed when you sign in your account from a different IP, so I was constantly having to re-authenticate my account from my phone. Maybe there's a setting to avoid that, but I just stopped using the VPN as much. Other accounts like Steam and some games have problems with multiple IPs as well. And some trackers won't let you browse while using a VPN, so you wouldn't be able to have your torrent client running while you browse. You'll need some kind of killswitch as well, so your internet shuts off or torrent client closes when the VPN is down. And to top it off, my home connection is pretty poor (7 down, 1 up) so I was able to build ratios far quicker with the seedbox.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Depending on what you want to do with the vpn, some seedboxes allow you to vpn through your slot.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If you have a second box you can use just for torrents (obviously doesn't need to have much horsepower at all), a VPN pretty much makes that machine into a seedbox, just with whatever connection you have instead of super speeds, of course. Combine it with an auto-download folder and Dropbox/network drive, and you don't even have to browse torrent sites on it to download.

One other thing to consider, which I mentioned above...my standard Comcast connection often doesn't get very fast speeds when using FTP from my seedbox in the Netherlands. Even when using 8-part downloads. But the moment I connect my VPN to a Netherlands IP, it maxes out my bandwidth. It is worth the <$4 a month for me not to have to wait an hour or more for a TV show. At max speed I get it in like 10 minutes. And anything with rar files just takes fucking forever (due to splitting each rar into 8 as well) unless I use the VPN. So even if you get a seedbox, you might want to consider the VPN just for that reason, depending upon your luck with FTP speeds.

EDIT: I do agree with it being a pain in the ass to remember to turn on and off, but at least it is super easy to do with Private Internet Access. I have looked all over for a way to only use it with specific programs and such, but if it is possible at all, it is going to be something at the router level, which I'm not prepared to attempt.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I have three invites if anyone needs them. Just send me your email in a pm, pms with tits will be prioritized.

Crone

So, is there a way with Sickbeard to create a "Not Watched" folder that would provide an easy to way to see how far behind I am on all the shows that I keep up on? lol

Plex has a recently added filter it displays, which works well for that because as I download, and Sickbeard automatically moves the files into their show/season folders, it scans that and picks it up. I'm doing some Google searching, and really the only way I could do this would be to have it stop auto moving the shows, and just manually move them after I watch them?

I share my Plex server with multiple people, so already watched, or recently watched isn't just for me, otherwise I might be able to just go with that. Kind of brain storming here, but appreciate any other thoughts on it.

Edit: I thought about it some more, and I think I have a more succinct way of saying what I'm looking for... An auto updating "Recently Added" list, sorted by whether it's a TV show or movie, and if TV show, by show name, that removes a title/show after I watch it. So basically I could have a running list of stuff I haven't watched yet.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What is a good tracker for NBA games? I have a friend going to a game on Friday and she wants a copy of it(She doesn't have a dvr).