Torrents

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The first person to post about here was using IPT.

But it kinda sounds like, just make sure your seedbox server isn't physically in the US and you're still alright(for now)

Syringed_sl

shitlord
I'd never, ever download movies, shows, games, or music from PirateBay. I have gotten away with using it to get a hold of things like Adobe After Effects. Adobe, as far as I know, doesn't have the millions to throw away chasing torrent sites like Hollywood/EAgames/Activision seem to do.

Dashiva_sl

shitlord
Can anyone recommend a easy to use and good value VPN. I am mainly using usenet with sickbeard/sab running on a spare pc.

Just so that I understand things, a VPN basically allows you to connect to the internet anonymously correct? So all the packets to and from your PC go through a server somewhere else in the world that masks who information is going to?

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can anyone recommend a easy to use and good value VPN. I am mainly using usenet with sickbeard/sab running on a spare pc.

Just so that I understand things, a VPN basically allows you to connect to the internet anonymously correct? So all the packets to and from your PC go through a server somewhere else in the world that masks who information is going to?
This one has been recommended before. They let you pay with a gift card from most major retailers to keep it more anonymous too:

VPN Service, from the Leaders in VPN | Private Internet Access VPN Service

Review here:

Private Internet Access Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Dashiva_sl

shitlord
This one has been recommended before. They let you pay with a gift card from most major retailers to keep it more anonymous too:

VPN Service, from the Leaders in VPN | Private Internet Access VPN Service

Review here:

Private Internet Access Review & Rating | PCMag.com
Thanks for the reply.

I have three PC's networked at home, would I setup a VPN for my router to use or do you need to setup one for each PC. For example I have a PC running Sickbeard/SAB but I use the other two for gaming (MMOs etc).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the reply.

I have three PC's networked at home, would I setup a VPN for my router to use or do you need to setup one for each PC. For example I have a PC running Sickbeard/SAB but I use the other two for gaming (MMOs etc).
You install a simple little program on the computer you want it on. They do allow up to 3 different devices at a time if you wanted to use it on more, but typically that screws with logins on games, Amazon, etc. because now it thinks you are overseas. So just put it on your Sickbeard computer and set it to always connect when the computer starts, and you won't have to worry about it.

Crone

Thanks for the reply.

I've been using usenets, with an SSL connection for years and never once have I gotten any kind of warning message from my ISP.

What's the point of the secure SSL connection that my usenet provider offers, if you are still going to turn around and use a VPN? Extra security?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have an invite to pass the popcorn or broadcast the net? can offer what cd
I am not able to invite on either, but if you are on What.CD and can invite, you might already have access to the Invites forum where both of those trackers have unlimited invite threads. If not, your best bet is to try to get to Power User, which will give you access to that forum.

I recently made it to the step right below the one where you get invites at BTN, but I'm literally only halfway there. This step required 1500 grabs, and the next requires 3000 (plus millions of bonus points of course). So it will still be awhile (easily over a year) before I get there, unless all I do is focus on grabbing shit I don't want. Apparently I could get invites on PtP if I uploaded just 1 thing, but I have no clue what to upload, and I still don't have much in the way of bonus points to actually purchase invites even if I did.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've been using usenets, with an SSL connection for years and never once have I gotten any kind of warning message from my ISP.

What's the point of the secure SSL connection that my usenet provider offers, if you are still going to turn around and use a VPN? Extra security?
There isn't much point to the SSL connection from the usenet provider, to be honest, because they will just turn around and give all of their logs to your ISP. In theory it is a great thing to have, but in practice it doesn't much matter if their privacy policies are non-existent. That's why someone like PIA is worth having, because they don't even keep any logs to be taken.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I have an invite to IPT, send along your email in a PM, I got mine from here (thanks chaos) and I want to pay it back to the board.

Luckily I haven't rec'd any C&D letters (been seeding GoT season 3 for 4 weeks) maybe the block list that I got was OK, however I'm not using any service to seed, just a dedicated box at my house. Knock on wood I guess.

Crone

So for the longest time now, for movies, I've been getting BR Rips. It's always been a consistent size versus quality for me, 4-7gb, and the quality I think is great.

Running into some issues streaming these movies remotely though through my Plex server. Is there another quality that I can be looking for that are smaller in size? Non-HD is ok, but for the most part, unless it's a screener, the quality seems all over the board.

Some cams are 1gb, and terrible, while screeners are 1.5gb, but decent quality. The consistency of "BR Rips" in terms of quality/size is why I've always stuck with them, but looking for another "version" to get.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So for the longest time now, for movies, I've been getting BR Rips. It's always been a consistent size versus quality for me, 4-7gb, and the quality I think is great.

Running into some issues streaming these movies remotely though through my Plex server. Is there another quality that I can be looking for that are smaller in size? Non-HD is ok, but for the most part, unless it's a screener, the quality seems all over the board.

Some cams are 1gb, and terrible, while screeners are 1.5gb, but decent quality. The consistency of "BR Rips" in terms of quality/size is why I've always stuck with them, but looking for another "version" to get.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
What problems are you having precisely? And when are they happening? Typically it isn't the rip that is the problem, but the settings.

Plex has settings for what resolution and bitrate you stream to other devices at, so changing those settings should fix the majority of problems, regardless of what type of rip the original file is at. The only reason the original would cause difficulty is if the processor on whatever device is running Plex Media Server cannot handle the transcoding fast enough.

What I'm getting at is, if your Plex is set to stream at 1080p or at 720p but too high of a bitrate, it is probably going to fail on anything "remote" like wifi/4G over your phone, someone else's house with crappy internet, etc. It can also have issues if your upload speed on your internet isn't fast enough because if it is trying to send out a higher bitrate than your internet can handle, it will have issues. Typically something like 720p and 2(bps? kbps? I forget, but you'll see it on the settings) is all you are ever going to want for something that isn't directly connected to your network with a cable.

If changing those settings doesn't work, and you have a fast upload speed, then it could possibly be an overworked processor, but 4-7GB rips shouldn't be anything that a standard processor of the last several years can't handle.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure that my i5-750 never gets past 10-15% utilization when transcoding even large Bluray rips.

Crone

What problems are you having precisely? And when are they happening? Typically it isn't the rip that is the problem, but the settings.

Plex has settings for what resolution and bitrate you stream to other devices at, so changing those settings should fix the majority of problems, regardless of what type of rip the original file is at. The only reason the original would cause difficulty is if the processor on whatever device is running Plex Media Server cannot handle the transcoding fast enough.

What I'm getting at is, if your Plex is set to stream at 1080p or at 720p but too high of a bitrate, it is probably going to fail on anything "remote" like wifi/4G over your phone, someone else's house with crappy internet, etc. It can also have issues if your upload speed on your internet isn't fast enough because if it is trying to send out a higher bitrate than your internet can handle, it will have issues. Typically something like 720p and 2(bps? kbps? I forget, but you'll see it on the settings) is all you are ever going to want for something that isn't directly connected to your network with a cable.

If changing those settings doesn't work, and you have a fast upload speed, then it could possibly be an overworked processor, but 4-7GB rips shouldn't be anything that a standard processor of the last several years can't handle.
Ya, I suspect it's my friends terrible internet, but she knows nothing of how this works, and thinks it's all magic that she can watch movies without having to buy them. lol. Or watch HBO shows without having HBO.

I'm running a i5-2500k processor, and I've dropped the remote quality down to 320p and that seemed fine for a while, but over the weekend, she said 12 days a slave was buffering a TON. That particular movie I checked was a little bigger, so I thought maybe it was a different problem. I dropped it down even further to 240p, one step below.

My internet is 150down, 30-50up, so it shouldn't be my internet connection.

This same friend asked if getting a new Roku would help the problems at all, and I said, probably not.

For some reason I've always had trouble with HD stuff streaming to this person. But maybe I just need to drop the remote quality down even further to accommodate her terrible internet?

Lusiphur

Peasant
Ya, I suspect it's my friends terrible internet, but she knows nothing of how this works, and thinks it's all magic that she can watch movies without having to buy them. lol. Or watch HBO shows without having HBO.

I'm running a i5-2500k processor, and I've dropped the remote quality down to 320p and that seemed fine for a while, but over the weekend, she said 12 days a slave was buffering a TON. That particular movie I checked was a little bigger, so I thought maybe it was a different problem. I dropped it down even further to 240p, one step below.

My internet is 150down, 30-50up, so it shouldn't be my internet connection.

This same friend asked if getting a new Roku would help the problems at all, and I said, probably not.

For some reason I've always had trouble with HD stuff streaming to this person. But maybe I just need to drop the remote quality down even further to accommodate her terrible internet?
Update your Plex Server to the most recent version.
Check your router settings for QoS downgrading the priority of the up. Speedtest your line etc.
Get her to check her Roku doesn't need a firmware update.

Typically BR Rips work best over a wired connection though. I have mine on gigabit LAN and some 1080p stuff (the 17 gig ones) buffers.