Torrents

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, obviously it would depend on a lot of things, most particularly how it was presented in the media, but all it takes is for one relatively known media source to make a big stink about how Disney paid some "hackers" to bring down websites via illegal means, and you've got the beginnings of a PR nightmare. Sure, it might not happen that way, and it might garner sympathy for Disney instead, but if you've got a nice cushy job at Disney, do you want to take that risk?

Who knows what the fickle public will latch onto, so why even open yourself up to something like that? Even if they blocked IPT for a week straight, the effect on Disney's bottom line would be negligible, whereas the potential PR repercussions are unknown.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well... it seems like a lot of trackers use Cloudflare to prevent DDoS attacks. I'm guessing people have either found a way to exploit the Cloudflare service, or they just hosted the website through the service and not the tracker IP's.

Could it be big entertainment industries? Yeah sure. But any idiot with an Amazon EC2/AWS account can bring down websites with DDoS attacks. Last time this happened it was because a guy was denied an invite. Remember that DDoS'ing a site is illegal. Regardless of if a judge sympathizes, using illegal means to thwart something illegal is just as illegal as the initial act itself. I'm not saying a company wouldn't resort to it behind the scenes. But finding individuals to take the fall if the ball drops could be tricky.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
BTN's website is back up, but the tracker isn't responding. Getting socket access permission errors. The thread on BTN stated that they can't put the tracker on the CloudFlare service.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, apparently the tracker is functioning too, just my PeerGuardian was blocking it. No idea how that happened, but that's not important.

What are people's opinions on the efficacy of PeerGuardian? I know a VPN or SeedBox would be better, but I don't quite feel like paying for either of those yet. Everything I torrent comes from BTN or IPT(a few movies). Should I even bother getting PG and BTN's tracker to play nice?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Are you positive that PG was the problem? My BTN tracker has been up and down repeatedly. Last night was the first time it seemed even remotely reliable in over a week.

As for PG itself, I used to use it for awhile, but I don't know if it made any difference. Normally I would say it can't hurt, but if you're certain that it is causing problems with BTN, then maybe not.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty easy to tell, no? Disable PG, BTN torrents immediately start working.

If you discount false positives or unintentionally blocked IPs, no, it probably can't hurt, but PG is a pain in the ass. Especially so now that whomever was hosting the blocklists has decided to start charging for the blocklists or you only get them once a week. Getting some game services to work, especially new ones, was really annoying. Couldn't log into D3 for a while because PG was blocking the game's EULA server. I mean, didn't matter much because of error 39, but still hard to figure that one out.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I found it to be a pain in the ass towards the end also, so perhaps now is a good time to consider a VPN. I know you said you aren't looking for one now, and obviously it makes no difference to me if you do or not, but I'll pass along the info for mine just in case you or someone else is interested.

I use Private Internet Access, and it is $40 a year (or was when I bought it anyway). I chose them because they specifically keep no logs of any activity, which is exactly what you want if you torrent or use newsgroups. In theory a service like VyperVPN (the one you can get with a Giganews Diamond plan) keeps logs of everything you do, so if someone cared enough they could get all of your traffic logs and nail you just the same as if you downloaded everything straight to your home computer without the VPN. With no logs, however, there is nothing to tie you to anything specific, not even download times, file sizes, anything. They are one of the most highly rated in that regard.

It gives you up to 3 devices, so I have the information in my phone as well for times when I'm using a public wifi. All I have to do is turn on the VPN and bam, I'm secure. On the computer end of things, it has a bunch of different servers, and no matter which one I choose I always get my maximum bandwidth with it (and sometimes a little more, which makes no sense).

It can cause issues with things like making a credit card purchase from an IP in Japan, for example, but it is a simple right click then left click to turn it on and off. It really is idiot-proof. If you are concerned about anonymity, I'd say take the plunge. If you aren't really that worried and have never gotten any warning letters or anything, you're probably fine without it. But the per month charge is pretty low, so it might be worth considering.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Whichever is the most recent one. I couldn't remember which was which and I was not going to search for it at work.

I disabled their level 3 anti P2P list and the tracker started working again.

spronk

FPS noob
peerblock is completely useless for torrenting, it only blocks you from directly connecting to their useless list of what are really schools, businesses, etc. Anyone who is actively fighting copyright downloads (that list isn't that big right now anyways) still has complete access to the trackers list of attached IPs and up/down stats, so you are hidden from absolutely no one.

Best thing to do is not worry about any of it until the point you get a letter from an ISP saying a copyright holder has notified them you are violating copyright. At that point you can buy a seedbox or VPN and become anonymous, for now most ISPs seem to have gotten out of that game due to just too many people torrenting. Using private trackers and/or not seeding too long off public trackers will keep you a lot safer than anything peerblock can do.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That would seem pretty easy then. There's not THAT many illicit trackers. If they can pull the IPs and up/down stats, wouldn't most sites have been busted by now?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
peerblock is completely useless for torrenting, it only blocks you from directly connecting to their useless list of what are really schools, businesses, etc. Anyone who is actively fighting copyright downloads (that list isn't that big right now anyways) still has complete access to the trackers list of attached IPs and up/down stats, so you are hidden from absolutely no one.

Best thing to do is not worry about any of it until the point you get a letter from an ISP saying a copyright holder has notified them you are violating copyright. At that point you can buy a seedbox or VPN and become anonymous, for now most ISPs seem to have gotten out of that game due to just too many people torrenting. Using private trackers and/or not seeding too long off public trackers will keep you a lot safer than anything peerblock can do.
Yup or use a seedbox or throw in the towel because torrents are just too complicated for you and make you cower in fear.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I got one of those notices before so I try and stay away from public trackers. Luckily the notice was a couple years ago, so it felt like a slap on the wrist. I'm sure they are much more serious now.

Does anyone know if those records carry over between ISPs? I'm moving to another state and hence ISP.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone having a hard time getting a good ratio on their normal TV shows on IPT recently? Most shows if I download them within an hour or so of them being posted, I will get a 4-5 ratio within a day or so. I have a few up now that can't even reach a 1:1 ratio. Not sure if something got changed or what.

kudos

<Banned>
Been using TPB since it started. Never got a notice. I do use PeerBlock for the hell of it because why not?

If I ever get caught I'll just go back to IRC. Nobody fucks with IRC.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Anyone having a hard time getting a good ratio on their normal TV shows on IPT recently? Most shows if I download them within an hour or so of them being posted, I will get a 4-5 ratio within a day or so. I have a few up now that can't even reach a 1:1 ratio. Not sure if something got changed or what.
A lot more people are starting to use seedboxes so if you aren't using one you are probably way behind the power curve.

It's like an arms race.