Total War: Warhammer

Sulrn

Deuces
There's some pretty solid chances for Araby and Estalia and all these fucks in the south as DLC/FLC later on too, but probably Tomb Kings first. Which is great cause Tomb Kings are awesome looking. It seems they'll keep Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarfs for the 3rd game, probably. Maybe Kislev thrown in there too.

But yeah in terms of Warhammer fantasy games, this is basically the best it's ever going to be. You can build armies with almost all the TT units and play most of the races(and maybe will be able to play all the races eventually) and it's all very well modelled and animated. At this point I don't think anyone will ever have the budget to make a game that's as close, and not sure the Age of Sigmar shit would be worth making into a game either. There's still good derivative games like Blood Bowl and Warhammer: End Times but most companies seem to prefer the more general public appealing 40K to the Fantasy setting.

I would have enjoyed a WH:F version of DoW 1/2.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
All in all it is convoluted as fuck, but this is quite literally the best Warhammer experience you will ever get (especially considering GW killed the setting).

This is really the key comment here. If you're on the fence, buy game 2 to see if you like Total War gameplay. But if you do, even if it is expensive, this game is totally worth the money. They know that and rake it in, but at least they're delivering a game that's great on all fronts and not something half-baked like most newer Games Workshop video games. And considering GW went full retard and nuked the setting, this might well be the last big effort on a Warhammer Fantasy product.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
This game is worth its price based on its own merits, and it most certainly is worth its price when you compare it to other games.

I have 189 hours on the clock and haven't played most factions seriously and have hardly looked into modding at all. Could easily clock 500+ hours if you wanted to play on legendary difficulty and complete some grand campaigns.

I don't know any other game in the genre that offers GFX that come close to it either. CIV 6 looks like complete crap by comparison.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sulrn

Deuces
This game is worth its price based on its own merits, and it most certainly is worth its price when you compare it to other games.

I have 189 hours on the clock and haven't played most factions seriously and have hardly looked into modding at all. Could easily clock 500+ hours if you wanted to play on legendary difficulty and complete some grand campaigns.

I don't know any other game in the genre that offers GFX that come close to it either. CIV 6 looks like complete crap by comparison.

To be fair, the entire genre is one long stream of mediocre products. Total War has been stalled for the last 4 iterations and Civ for the last 2-4, so the bar you're setting is rather low.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
^ ehh I'm new to TW and loving it so far. Pre-ordered Warhammer TW 2.

No interest in their other settings but got to say Warhammer is ideal for this type of game.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
too many they decided to fuck you Warhammar universe with Everchosen. there is still 41k but that is never gonna become a total war game..

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, the entire genre is one long stream of mediocre products. Total War has been stalled for the last 4 iterations and Civ for the last 2-4, so the bar you're setting is rather low.
meh yeah. empire certainly dropped the balls but i know a lot of people that liked it (with hint of disappointment). i got a lot of hours clocked in with attilla and rome 2 I just have for the fuck of it...I probably played over 600 hours in Medieval 2 lol...

i was very impressed with Shogun all in all. This is probably the only franchise that seemx to continuously experiment with its themes and methods.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya I got the game on sale and dlc on the recent sale. Helman Ghorst was sick.

Wood elves looked fun to micro and their tree hero guy is an OP boss. I'll try them next time I dust it off.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just something about dudes in ridiculous oversized armor suits?

Games Workshop was founded in the 70s, initially made like chess boards and board games or something. Eventually got the license from TSR to distribute DnD to the UK. Opened stores. Started making its own games, started a miniatures company. First big game of their own they really pushed was Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Eventually they released 40K which was a future version and ultimately more popular. Got big, got bought out by I think a group of employees and eventually became a public company. Hates customers, defends IP to death, basically the EA of miniature gaming companies. Had a near monopoly on the industry for a while and lost it because they're stupid and greedy, refuse to adapt.

Anyway WHFB, which this game is based on is classical high fantasy for the most part, with decades of lore. Game was unit based, you have giant blocks of troops. Then GW killed it off recently because it was too generic so they couldn't defend it all with IP lawsuits (same they did with 40K but they completely dumped WHFB). They replaced it with a new thing maybe a bit over a year ago that's more easy to sue people over. Basically, 3D printing is a huge threat so they figure they will need to sue more soon to stop people from making their own versions (ie "medieval man with halberd" is too generic to win in every country for IP claims). The new one is obviously way more "creative" in order to be unique for IP suits, but it's also kind of a sore spot for old fans. This is pretty much the digital legacy of that game because it's just gone now.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Games Workshop was founded in the 70s, initially made like chess boards and board games or something. Eventually got the license from TSR to distribute DnD to the UK. Opened stores. Started making its own games, started a miniatures company. First big game of their own they really pushed was Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Eventually they released 40K which was a future version and ultimately more popular. Got big, got bought out by I think a group of employees and eventually became a public company. Hates customers, defends IP to death, basically the EA of miniature gaming companies. Had a near monopoly on the industry for a while and lost it because they're stupid and greedy, refuse to adapt.

Anyway WHFB, which this game is based on is classical high fantasy for the most part, with decades of lore. Game was unit based, you have giant blocks of troops. Then GW killed it off recently because it was too generic so they couldn't defend it all with IP lawsuits (same they did with 40K but they completely dumped WHFB). They replaced it with a new thing maybe a bit over a year ago that's more easy to sue people over. Basically, 3D printing is a huge threat so they figure they will need to sue more soon to stop people from making their own versions (ie "medieval man with halberd" is too generic to win in every country for IP claims). The new one is obviously way more "creative" in order to be unique for IP suits, but it's also kind of a sore spot for old fans. This is pretty much the digital legacy of that game because it's just gone now.

I have a friend who makes a really good living designing miniatures in the "grey market" where the figs are obviouisly inspired by Warhammer lore and made for use in Warhammer games and his success has not at all been impeded by rule changes and GW's IP defense. As long as he doesn't use any proper names in his marketing he is fine, and apparently there was a recent court case in the UK that ruled in favor of this kind of artistic license. For example, he can't make something that looks like a Slaanesh demon and call it "Demon of Slaanesh" but he can make something that looks pretty much like a Slaanesh demon and call it "Lady of Pain" or what have you.

Anyway, I haven't had the time to get into this game but I'm really looking forward to V2. Apparently they made the interface and unit management a lot more intuitive.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Thanks for that

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Someone please update when either game goes on sale.

Anyways, YEARS ago I played some warhamer fantasy, had about 3k worth of wood elves. Never got too deep into it but appreciated the art. I had a few of my bigger hero units painted by a friend that was very good and i'd like to eventually one day get the rest of that old army painted. I have zero artistic skill so looking to commission someone for it.

There was also the warhammer MMO. I played that for awhile, it was a lot of fun leveling up to 40 (or 50?) but the game kind of fell apart at max level.

Games workshop was big back in the early 90's, they had many storefronts and a magazine, etc. But like a friend of mine said "the pixel is more mighty than the pen n' paper". For me at least video games just are so much more convenient than trying to find people in the flesh to organize games with.

Speaking of Total War. Most of this summer the game i've been playing is Midevial Total war 2, with the Third Age Divide and Conqueor mod. Its basically a older version of this warhammer total war, but set in Middle Earth during the war of the ring. Very addicting, you can be something like 30 different factions: Isengard (my favorite), Gondor, Mordor, Woodland elves, Bree-land/Shire, etc. They've done a very good job on it, just wish it was slightly more stable. I get a crash at turns end about every 6 or 7 turns, but oh wells.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1955-Divide-and-Conquer

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You can set an alert email for when it goes on sale on steam. Just put it on your wish list.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I had never played ANY Total War previously, and I picked this up a week or so ago after this thread grabbing my interest.

I really enjoy the game. Learning how the mechanics of "Total War" worked did not take long. The Warhammer stuff adds nice flavor and has good depth, the combat is a lot of fun even if I kind of suck right now. The over world strategy/campaign part is enjoyable and adds to combat.

I've only played Dwarfs because I read they were easy. I'm going to start switching it up some but it's a lot to figure out initially, and games take a real long time.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I had never played ANY Total War previously, and I picked this up a week or so ago after this thread grabbing my interest.

I really enjoy the game. Learning how the mechanics of "Total War" worked did not take long. The Warhammer stuff adds nice flavor and has good depth, the combat is a lot of fun even if I kind of suck right now. The over world strategy/campaign part is enjoyable and adds to combat.

I've only played Dwarfs because I read they were easy. I'm going to start switching it up some but it's a lot to figure out initially, and games take a real long time.
Dwarves are the beginner race yes. All of their units have very good armor with the exception of miners, which for a Tier 1 unit are still pretty good. They have top tier melee and range infantry and the best artillery. Plus natural magic resistance and okay flying units. The only thing the dwarves lack are cavalry, but they are so strong in every other area it doesn't matter. Versus the AI you should be fine but if you go online (which is actually fun for the first time ever for me in a Total War game) people with good micro can cycle charge you hard with heavy cavalry or a chariot, as dwarves.

Can't wait until they add free for all multiplayer with the second game, with thirteen distinct races in multiplayer, shit is going to be a blast.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
How are actual battles going to work in multiplayer? Does everyone just agree to auto resolve or does player 3, 4, 5 etc have to just sit and wait while players 1 and 2 have a battle?