Total War: Warhammer

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
There's been sales on the DLC, but they're not making a GOTY version I don't think, you'll still have to pick which DLC you want to play. Honestly don't need everything, can skip most of them unless you specifically want the race. Base game also has a fair amount of content to begin with.

And yeah last patch did a lot of changes on the old stuff, made the old legendary lords more relevant compared to new ones, made Chaos campaign less shit, tried to make the Empire a bit stronger when played by the AI(not sure how it turns out) so it's pretty good. Norsca looks great too, I might pick it up at some point, but I think I'll wait for some price drop on TW2 preorder like on GMG or something. Mostly I'm looking forward to Skavens though.
I will buy skaven dlc for $30.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I will buy skaven dlc for $30.
You'll have to pay 60 though cause they're part of TW:W2. Or well whatever you find it for, GMG sold the original for 47 iirc, and then you can wait some for it to be on sale, but yeah it isn't a standalone DLC.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
You'll have to pay 60 though cause they're part of TW:W2. Or well whatever you find it for, GMG sold the original for 47 iirc, and then you can wait some for it to be on sale, but yeah it isn't a standalone DLC.
Fuck.. I guess i will wait until christmas sale...

I am still happy that they decided to fix up chaos campaign though. Subjugating norsca tribes were annoying...especially if they declare war against each other and you have to choose one ally to kill or unally with...

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Frankly I want all the races in one big huge campaign, not keen on buying TW:W2 unless I can pick it up for like $10 again.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Well, you will get just that. Within a month of the second game's release they are patching in the Mega Campaign which will have all thirteen races that are playable with the launch of the second game. They have already said that their dlc team has started work on the first dlc race for the second game. Widely believed to be Tomb Kings, they are now scrapping the mini campaigns and are instead launching with four legendary lords for the race packs.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I beat a grand campaign with Vampire Counts recently. This game is such an awesome laid back time killer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I guess if it worked so well, then why not do it again. But fuck I hated feeling like I "needed" to buy all the packs just to enjoy the game.

The patch for the Norsca and Chaos sounds just f'n awesome though

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
as someone who has never played any of the TW games, what's the learning curve?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
warhammer has a very low curve

its probably impossible to lose as dwarves on easy for example

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
as someone who has never played any of the TW games, what's the learning curve?
I had never played one before Warhamer and it was fairly easy to get in it. There's a small tutorial for the combat part which is good enough, and then the campaign map help is a bit of a mess but you can get the basics down pretty fast and since they've been simplifying it over the years, current version is pretty straightforward. You can start on an easy difficulty and move up as you get better at the game, since there's so many races there's a bunch of playthrough to go and progress.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Random note on campaign map difficulty. There is an actual modifier in the code that if you play on Easy or Normal, the AI will deprioritize attacking the player, and instead go for other AI. If you play on Very Hard or Legendary, it is the opposite. If you want a neutral experience, play on Hard (ironically). That said, Total War games are very easy to understand. If you have ever played any RTS or RTT game, you can do the combat, and the overworld map isn't really deep strategy by any means. The only real choices are you cannot ever get all of the best buildings in a single province, as only the provincial capital can build buildings up to Tiers 4 and 5, and it only has 5 slots available to do so (The Norse only have four in many provinces due to the fact that they have many provinces with forced "dock" building chains due to their settlements mostly being along the water). Every race has more than 5 building chains with buildings that require Tier 4 or 5 to finish the chain, so at worst you will need two provinces to unlock every unit and building in the game.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still really, really disappointed that magic is so lack-luster, unless you're playing VCs. I just finished the Dwarf campaign and wanted to try Empire, using Gelt. The damage spells aren't worth clicking. "Oh, you have and AoE damage spell and cast it on that unit of shit-tier spearmen? That's cute, zero dead". Come the fuck on...

I get that they don't want it to be OP, but they are WAY off the balance right now.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Wulfrik (norsca faction leader) has a magic ability that lets you kill 100+ units / shot pretty easily. I got 180ish kills in one shot when the enemy was in a choke point and it was a pretty crappy shot.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I would recommend one of the magic balance mods. Modding is actually very good this time around (CA usually are ass backwards with modding, but they really opened up the tools to the community with this game).

On another note, the NDA for Skaven has lifted and videos are flooding the net. The full roster reveal is tomorrow but I was scoping the building chains and unit unlocks on one of the videos and I saw an unlock for Skaven Death Runners. I have never heard of these, I am familiar with Night Runners and Gutter Runners as Clan Eshin units, but I literally cannot find any info about these. Did CA just make up a unit here or am I missing something?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I would recommend one of the magic balance mods. Modding is actually very good this time around (CA usually are ass backwards with modding, but they really opened up the tools to the community with this game).

On another note, the NDA for Skaven has lifted and videos are flooding the net. The full roster reveal is tomorrow but I was scoping the building chains and unit unlocks on one of the videos and I saw an unlock for Skaven Death Runners. I have never heard of these, I am familiar with Night Runners and Gutter Runners as Clan Eshin units, but I literally cannot find any info about these. Did CA just make up a unit here or am I missing something?

I don't know about the modding .. Rome was modded a ton, Rome II had workshop?

Deathrunners were in a warhammer quest expansion at least;
  • Skaven Deathrunners: A special kind of Skaven Assassin; the little shits can't keep their paws out of where they're not wanted. He's supplied in twos, one the real Assassin, the other a perfect doppelganger.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
The encyclopedia thing is such a steaming pile of shit. Was going to see the new legendary Lords skill trees but all the info in the encyclopedia is beyond useless. Had to start new games with all the factions I wanted to see.

love the game though

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Anyone played around with Norsca much yet? It seems like a fun campaign I just can't figure them out. Should I be trying to conquer the north or raid south? Should I be trying to occupy north settlements or just sack or sacrifice them?

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
warhammer has a very low curve

its probably impossible to lose as dwarves on easy for example

Uhh the learning curve definitively isn't "low". I'd say manageable without being ridiculous. But start with Dwarves I agree with. Definitely the most straightforward race to play.

I never played a TW game before and I finished a full Dwarf campaign solo, a full coop campaign with a buddy as Empire, and went for a ton of achievements. I almost never care enough about a game to get achievements.