Total War: Warhammer

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I woke up at 4:30 AM thinking...hmm what if santa clause sent me a notification with a code to slew shit. You can imagine my sadness to coming to only 1 notification related to cyber sex with someone i can only assume does not have "the tighest vaginal cavities in the world" as advertised.....

Fuck you Tuesday, fuck you.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Could pick this up for 43$ with a GMG birthday code but not sure if runs on Vista. Need Erronius to buy it so he can tell me. Also not sure if want to buy with the reputation for bugs.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Magic regenerates at a fixed rate. The pool is shared amongst all of your wizards. If you are playing on campaign as opposed to skirmish, the fixed rate is variable depending on how strongly the winds of magic are blowing in the area the battle is being fought at. I think most if not all wizards also have an in battle ability to regenerate the winds faster for a short time, usually allowing you to get one more spell off.

Edit: There is also still some magic missing. The Empire has access to all 8 Winds/Schools of magic. They currently only can make wizards for 3 (Light/Celestial/Bright). They have access to the Lore of Metal through Balthezar Gelt only (as opposed to just a Gold Wizard). Chaos has access to generic Metal/Fire/Death sorcerors, Empire is missing Death entirely (but they do have them in the lore). Lore of Life/Beasts/Shadows are all not implemented yet but are scheduled as Free DLC by the end of the year (before Bretonnia full release). Vampires also have access to their exclusive Lore of Vampires. Greenskins have access to Big/Little Waagh as well.
No info yet on Chaos having access to their own 3 god's for magic?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Going off the website they don't have any Chaos specific magic, just sorcerer lord/hero units with access to the lores of fire/metal/deathhttp://whenc.totalwar.com/#/characte...main_chs_chaos

Kind of disappointing, hopefully they'll expand on Chaos in the future and give each of the Gods their own army in an expansion or whatever, since Chaos is easily one of the coolest aspects of the Warhammer universe.

Variise

N00b
Anyone know how armor/weapon/unit upgrading works?

Is any of it visual? I know you can build better units later on but I'm specifically curious how they handled things like adding armor to certain melee units or barding on horses etc.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I don't believe it was ever answered. I know there is no visual difference on individual units. As far as heroes there probably isn't either, would most likely cost too many resources to model out all the random armor and weapon equipment you get in the game. All the mounts do look different though, but that is kind of obvious. Can't have a guy on a horse and say he is on a dragon.

Variise

N00b
I thought they might go for the added customization especially because there are so few units compared to their other games. They look visually unique and some of their past games did implement visual upgrades of armor. It's not a deal breaker.

On another note I can't believe how many fucking hours of streaming of this game I already watched. I think it's time to break my no-pre order game rule cause I want to play it so badly on Tuesday. Fuck.

EDIT: I was trying my hardest to remember what game this reminded me of the most and I finally remembered. "Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat" Motherfucker that was a tough game. From the streams this isn't anywhere near as hard but it's similar in terms of how critical it is you get your strategy and unit composition/upgrades etc just right to get the best results. Mindlessly not paying attention to your choices at the campaign level can result if abject failure 10-20 turns later.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you mean like tech tree upgrades that gives all your infantry +3dmg or your cav +5%movespeed, this doesn't have a visual representation. If you mean different weapon types/armor types, then that's 2 different units in the game, for example normal infantry with sword+shield and infantry with halberds are just different units, you can't give halberds to existing units, you need to recruit halberdiers(and disband your swordsmen if you don't want them anymore). Those have visual differences since they're not the same unit. If you mean lord item upgrades, those also have visual differences in some cases. When you find the flaming sword of coolbadassness, your hero will have a flaming sword in combat. Those are very limited though, there's basically only a specific set of item for your legendary lord based on the warhammer lore. There's also random magic items that aren't tied to a specific hero in the warhammer lore but those aren't physically represented.

Units have a decent amount of visual variations within the same unit type too, not like huge, but they have slightly different shields or weapon, so it's not like the clone wars. They might also add army colors at some point, although it's unclear. There's currently armor colors for enemy armies and shit, but you can't seem to select yours sadly, which sucks. Maybe mods will help there.

But yeah in terms of any physcal upgrades to the units, it's just different unit types. You can't customize those. Like taking Vampire Counts as an example, you can only do 2 black knights types, either normal black knights with swords, or black knights with both barding and lances. Can't put barding on normal black knights, can't have just lances, it's a package. Only exception is the mount of your lord, which is customized separately, so you can have a normal mount, a mount with barding/improved performance, a flying mount and a monstruous mount(that's the general pattern, not every lord can have the last 2 types though).

Game's definitely not feature complete if you compare to Warhammer tabletop or even past Total Wars, but that's the cost of having so many widely different unit models I guess. It's possible that whenever they add the unit+lord DLCs to existing races, they'll also add more variations to existing units at the same time. Or they'll be moddable.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh yeah I hadn't checked the empire tech tree, those kinda sounds like they could be visual upgrades but they aren't, just small number tweaks. At least I haven't noticed it, I haven't played the game yet but it seemed like people further in the campaign still had the same looking units than early on.

That said as I pointed out, with all the customization things, it's stuff that could potentially be added as mods, if people bother making them. They could make small unit variations and tie them to upgrades and what not I'd assume. Game has mod support, or will have it(they said it'll be in, but they've been silent about confirming wether or not it'd be ready for launch, so I'd expect it later instead, say in a few weeks/a month), so eventually a lot of customization should be available for a lot of stuff, missing units and shit.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
aaand now I can't buy it because Sega fucking hates Japan and never allows its games to be sold here. Except Rome Total War.

Variise

N00b
I think we need to be objective about CA and the franchises history. They are incompetent when it comes to AI and it looks like it's still a joke. [Have a look.](DWARVEN CAMPAIGN GAMEPLAY - TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER #5 - YouTube)

Why can't they hire people that know wtf they are doing with AI? There are a half dozen people in the TW community that mod their AI and while it's still not perfect it's infinitely better.

Can anyone that played the game for a bit comment if the AI fucking up is common or not? Is it as bad as the launch of Rome 2 or?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Considering this is the only real example of bad AI that seems to have popped up even though various people are uploading hours of campaign with the various races, it would seem it's not that common. I did see some weird AI choices when LegendofTotalWar was cheesing the army by going back and forth with Mannfred only to pick off units with spells, where their entire army kinda just stand there, but it made sense in some cases because they don't have vision of his army(he runs them away/behind trees), or they're standing around their artillery in a defensive position on high ground.

I've watched a lot of the game, and it doesn't seem it has too many issues. One major issue I've noted is in one of the campaigns, one guy who's apparently playing a bunch of races in parallel seems to have lost a large amount of his skill points on his hero. Not sure if save corruption or what. Problem is he didn't upload all his playthrough, it jumps from turn 28 or so in which he's not bugged to like turn 40 where he's bugged in the next video, so it's hard to tell what happened in the middle, at which point it happened and shit like that. You definitely want to make saves every few turns I would think, just in case of, since losing 5skill points(I think that's what he lost) would be a major issue for progressing the campaign. Another is that balance seems poor in some specific spots. Like overall there might be balance issues, but a few specific things are vastly OP and abusing them would trivialize the campaign(and multiplayer to an extent). It's mostly spells/abilities being way OP.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
thanka buddy. Watered down. Confirmed everything I knew. Wish I could give you this key back.

Can I trade this thing to turbo after I used it?
I don't care, but you might be doing him a favor if you keep it.

frown.png

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
thanka buddy. Watered down. Confirmed everything I knew. Wish I could give you this key back.

Can I trade this thing to turbo after I used it?
Why do you always have to be so self serving? You put on this charade like your a man of the people, someone who provides a service to his fellow gamers by pointing out which titles are bad so they dont "waste their time" yet you drum up every chance to highlight your own hollow predictions at the expense of anyone who dares disagree.

You cant be the good cop and bad cop, pick one.

Sulrn

Deuces
Points out discontent with potentially-promising/mixed bag of fail installment in an underperforming franchise from publisher with legacy of bad games from hamstrung developers that's licensed from the #1 IP whoring company and wishes it well after initially failing - is self-serving. People ITT say they're walking in knowing it's likely to be shit and/or DLC-ridden/pay-to-complete and still buying it because "fuck you its Warhammer" receives a free pass along with the resident shill.

Interesting logic at work here.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Dear Turbo: Erronius and I hate to inform you that there is no key, only Zuul.

Please accept our deepest apologies from the heart of the internet, and God Speed my young trooper.