Total War: Warhammer

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
May enjoy this more when a mod eliminates most the TW BS. I'm here to kill, I don't care if my inhabitants are unhappy. Also the city building screen is a clunky mess, more so than any other TW I have played.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I have an odd question maybe. I just finally got a chance to sit down and play this tonight. I was playing empire and got a big stack of early units (spear/sword and some xbow guys) and went after a big stack of vampire units. It was a huge battle but it listed us as being even power even though he had a lot more units (cheap zombies and such). Anyway.. it was back and forth for a bit.. really great fight. It got to a point where I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew and suddenly all of his units just disintegrated..like all of them and I got an instant heroic victory. So what the hell happened? I have no idea how to play the counts, so was wondering if anyone here knew (as the steam forums are locked so could not ask there).
VC units start "crumbling" and losing health if you get them surrounded.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They also disintegrate quickly if you kill the general.

When fighting vamps, always focus fire the general.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is true for every army really, if you kill their lord, they'll get demoralized really fast and you can get them all to rout within a few seconds generally, at which point you win. Vampire Counts units, they don't rout ever, but as their morale goes down(the 2nd bar, think it's tied to leadership/called leadership in the game), they start crumbling(losing health) and once they reach critical levels they start disintegrating which rapidly loses health. Just like other units, surround a unit makes them lose morale faster, which hastens the process, so definitely try to surround high value undead units even if it's with shitty swordsmen in the back or whatever, that'll be enough. Also the general always has a leadership aura around him(you can even increase the range and power of it in the skill tree thing), so undead units not close to their lord will tend to disintegrate even faster. So anything isolated away from the rest of the army you want to surround/flank and it'll drop dead in like 10secs even if your units are kinda garbage.

But yeah focus target the general for easy wins. Especially later in the game they'll often have horses, just get some halberdiers to surround them and you'll kill them in seconds because the AI kinda sucks at protecting their generals.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Finished the long campaign, 198 turns, took way too long running around after idiotic shit armies. After I cleared the chaos event thing, they apparently respawned so I had to keep a bunch of armies north to kill it again(at which point the event ended so that was done). That made me waste some time conquering the rest of the empire, plus these fucks after I had them down to one army at half hp manage to confederate with the western humans and allied with bretonnia, so I had to play safer. Anyway, cleared them pretty easily, then figured I'd clear the rest too, went to bretonnia with my 4 main armies and just ravaged the shit out of the place, fuckers tried to boat dodge me but eventually they entered the last city I hadn't capped and I fucked them up.

Meanwhile I built 3 more armies east and started clearing the dwarves along the mountain path, while I worked to clear the dwarves west, to meet up in the middle. And then I had to waste like 35turns moving at raiding speed in the badlands chasing 3 armies with like 3-5units in them and clearing the few places they had capped in there, fucking orcs were terrible and failing sieges on undefended cities and what not. On the final army after destroying every base they had, one turn before I'm about to reach him(had banshes blocking him), he fucking tunnels out on another spot on the map I don't even have vision of, and he didn't either. How bullshit is that. Luckily he capped some base shit so I figured where he was, I peaced him, took a bunch of armies, encircled him, and then killed him and all the bases he capped in one turn. This tunnelling shit is garbage, how can you tunnel without being close to a mountain or having vision of where you're going. This literally wasted 15turns just passing to get all my armies there.

Anyway had a lot of fun. Now need to figure out what to play next, wanted to play chaos but it sounds kinda weird so might go something else instead.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
At first I was like who wants to play sim vampire keeping the undead happy.

Then I realized I backed war for the over world and beat both dungeon keeper games and xpacs.

Still a potential
smile.png
, would be awesome with more unit model art and more races for sure.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there some sort of new limitation for orkz regarding reinforcements each other in battle?

A friend currently has two armies, one in town and one right next to it, but on AI turn the dwarves come over with 2 armies and the one outside isn't assisting.

Same on his attack, dwarves reinforce with two more armies, he only has one army to fight.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
No. Check the armies stances and also get to grips with the underway. There's a good chance the armies are either intercepted by a dwarven army currently in the underway, or the orc himself is intercepting. You can't reinforce in either case but if you're the intercepter the usual retreat button is replaced by decline the attack.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Might be a range issue, sometimes it's a bit finnicky like one of the mountains near Bretonnia over to the west, I couldn't fucking get my 2armies close enough it seemed so had to do it with one.

Stances don't matter, you can march an army next to the enemy then use another to perform the attack and it'll work, just the marched army suffer the marching penalty(units start tired and shit). Interception would be an issue.

So yeah don't know, you as a player can stop reinforcing by specing into Lightning Strike, but I don't think the AI uses that, at least on my VC playthrough I've never had it happen.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Man I couldn't get into a Total War game since I think Medieval 2 but I sure love this fucking game. Every one of your neighbor is a fucking psychopath, WAAAAGHs aplenty, and fucking Chaos coming in like Genghis Khan and wrecking everyone's shit.

My dwarf campaign start was pretty weird with a neighbor dwarf faction expanding along with me and we ended up sharing a lot of provinces, but once Archaon got stopped I settled a lot of the wreckage and it's been smooth sailing since then. I'd like some advice on a couple of things though: How do you guys deal with overleveled ennemy heroes killing/breaking all your stuff? VCs had a level 26 banshee, she killed I don't know how many of my dudes. Also my big problem now is my last and oldest grudge I need to clear to get the win, get an engineer to level 15. All my engineers got killed and I have a hard time levelling them up, is there an easy way to do it? If I put all my engineers in the same army, will they level each other up with their +training bonus?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For heroes, it can be a bitch if you let them get high level, assassinate shit as soon as you see it if at all possible. Otherwise, level a spy hero(not sure what it is for dwarves, for VC is banshee, for empire it's witch hunter, the one that can destroy walls/have +15% assassinate/reduces chances of hero actions) by just spamming some chaos army with block or some shit, get like a level every couple turns, then smash the banshee eventually, but it takes a while.

For engineers yeah they should feed each other xp. Otherwise the fastest way would probably to go in the chaos lands and spam buildings attacks or whatever, same as every hero. Deploy a spy near him to reduce the chance of hero actions(plus if the spy is leveled you also get a skill to reduce it for every char in the region).

Just finished an empire hard playthrough, guess I'm ready for very hard.

Overall was pretty easy, only the chaos fight presented an issue, and mostly because the AI cheats like crazy, respawning armies instantly next to the fight and not suffering attrition even though they're all hugging each other for 3turns in a row. Also because while I had overwhelming advantage from having 5 armies in the stack, if you play the fight, they only give you like half the units and shit it's weird. Meanwhile I can autoresolve for an autowin, pretty shitty design, especially with how stacked the armies are.

Interestingly it seems Chaos spawns when you reach a certain power level. This time it spawned at lvl 90, after I confederated a bunch of shit and almost reached the short campaign victory(was missing like 6-7territories).

Also fucking Witch Hunters are a pain in the ass to make unlike Banshees. You need a tier5 building to get +1 witch hunter, which is retarded since 2 isn't enough imo. I managed without, but it was really annoying.

GeneralF

Thanks for the tips! Finally finished my game at turn 277 because of that stupid grudge, even though I dominated everyone at turn 150 or so.

I got a mod that prevents enemy agents from doing aggressive actions so second game should be more fun, I did not enjoy that part of the game. Maybe that's why I like TW:W so much, way less micromanagement than the previous few games, which means more time doing battle!

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
My old laptop seems to have met its match a little with this game. Just a little bit of camera lag that's slightly annoying, so I turned all the settings down and the lag got worse. wat.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh also if you don't care about the agents nonsense, there's a mod that removes the ability to do offensive actions, for just the computer or for both of you. If you remove it for yourself you can't do certain quests/grudges though, so better to just remove the AI moves and then not abuse the fact they can't do shit about your agents.

I think they'll probably patch it at some point though, it's easily the biggest complaint people have, the AI spams too many agents. Hell it's not even good, half the time you see those smaller nations they have all their income tied in agent upkeep and no army. They should lower the impact on armies(especially lord killing, that's pretty dumb, even more so when the AI just respawns their lord super quick while you have to wait several turns).

Second biggest complaint is armies running away from you and being uncatachable without encircling them(and even then with rivers being crossable and shit it's annoying) or using an agent to slow them down.

Apostolos

I just wish I could stop grudges from being the assassinate enemy ones.. those are hard as hell to do sometimes. I started an empire campaign my first time and really screwed it up learning a few things.. then started a dwarf one next and am doing ok. I had a hard time getting moving (could not get any trade agreements due to not being able to expand fast enough. So..it is currently around turn 120 and am just now really starting to roll and chaos showed up at turn 100 but have just not got to me yet.

For anyone new (and most of you probably are not but I'll add this here anyway) I had originally not understood that all the regions of a province share their bonuses.. (like making it totally a waste to build a barracks in your main city of a province since it caps out at tier 3 which even a minor region can get to) and how important it is to get a tier 2 guard shack (and walls) at every region so you don't have to play whack a mole with every minor army running around.

Only changes I would make would be: Make enemy heroes far more vulnerable when not embedded in an army, and vice versa .. make all heroes hard as hell to do any special moves on if they are in an army stack. Also.. enemy heroes need to be removed from play a lot longer than they currently are if they get wounded etc.,. I think that would put more of the hero focus on the battlefield rather than on swarms of them running over the campaign map just being annoying.

As far as not being able to chase down enemy army stacks, it would be cool if enemy armies moved at a 10% speed reduction in foreign territory.. making defending easier without ruining or nerfing anyone's army stack movement just for the sake of nerfing.

Morsakin

I just wish I could stop grudges from being the assassinate enemy ones.. those are hard as hell to do sometimes. I started an empire campaign my first time and really screwed it up learning a few things.. then started a dwarf one next and am doing ok. I had a hard time getting moving (could not get any trade agreements due to not being able to expand fast enough. So..it is currently around turn 120 and am just now really starting to roll and chaos showed up at turn 100 but have just not got to me yet.
Just as an FYI in terms of some of the lesser-known diplomacy mechanics that have carried over (from my personal experience)-- the first turn you encounter a faction is the best time to take them up on a non-aggression pact / trade agreement, as opposed to every turn thereafter when you don't have that pseudo-bonus working for you at which point "natural" diplomacy will need to hold sway. Otherwise just bribe them, that's how I get most of mine.

If trade goods are your focus the area to the southeast of Altdorf / Empire HQ has multiple in close proximity.

As important as lightning strike and early game econ has proven to be, I generally don't even spec my lords (and heroes) into anything pertaining to their battlefield capabilities until their late teens or 20ish, with the lords' points spent on the way and shortly thereafter going into economic benefits, i.e. upkeep, recruitment cost etc. On my chaos legendary campaign I've supplemented typical income by farming low settlement count factions so that I could pay for constant two hero actions + upkeep + intermittent military expansion while specced for maximum horde growth, sacking and post-battle loot amounts, supplemented with followers. Heroes never see battle unless there's a spot to be filled and they're not harassing an army at large. AI will shit itself when you outpace their agents by a wide enough margin; you can tell when this has taken place because they will place agents right next to your armies / agents and not do a damn thing before moving on after a few turns--won't even attempt anything. Was running with one army and 2 agents before stopping at turn ~145 earlier this morning.

Oh, and military coordination points. Shit works fantastically well now. 150+ nevermind 300+ rating and they'll come a-runnin, with the ensuing battle support helping the diplomatic aspect(even long-time enemies amongst AI humans will support each other against chaos, which gets everyone nice and friendly / allied / trading with each other).

As Empire, don't forget to have your lords in Offices, if only for the treasurer. That alone outpaces the combined effect of the others by a mile.

GeneralF

The mod that prevents offensive actions by AI agents has had a fortunate side effect: AI turns go by way faster.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Main issue with the mod is the AI still builds way too many agents, and then they sit there doing nothing cause they can't build an army even with their cheats on cause they have like 20agents out at a time. Especially after they confederate a small faction that was basically one army and 5 agents.

On my chaos campaign I had to fight a stupid amount of armies all at once when I came down south, like 4empire stacks and 5dwarfs stack, but I've beaten them like 20turns ago, finished razing the empire and the dwarfs still haven't rebuilt anything, even though they have 30 settlements, because I think they can't actually afford anything. They put agents buildings everywhere instead of economy shit and have like 4 agents sitting around in every province and their army is basically a couple of heroes, their lords and a few warriors.

Finished every campaign almost(still need to kill orcs on empire and dwarfs on chaos for long campaigns) besides greenskins which I'm not sure I'll do, not a big fan of the waaagh mechanic and their units. 141 hours played, and while there's probably 5-6hours of dicking around alt tabbed, that's still a lot. Really fun game.

Difficulty might be a tad low, I find that after the initial 10-20turns, it tends to be pretty easy if you focus on a strong economy. The other factions don't tech up nearly well enough and you end up with way better armies than them, and as long as you bring enough armies or use lightning strike, there's few chances of actually losing a battle. I did have to throw away most of my 3armies to beat the massive stacks of empire/dwarfs combined on my chaos campaign, but I rebuilt them in a couple of turns easily since I had like 200+k banked, while they didn't do shit. It was actually a lot more challenging than the chaos events in general since they had so many armies covering each other and I had to take fights after fights without healing up inbetween so they wouldn't run away or group up with enough armies at once.

Morsakin

Main issue with the mod is the AI still builds way too many agents, and then they sit there doing nothing cause they can't build an army even with their cheats on cause they have like 20agents out at a time. Especially after they confederate a small faction that was basically one army and 5 agents.

On my chaos campaign I had to fight a stupid amount of armies all at once when I came down south, like 4empire stacks and 5dwarfs stack, but I've beaten them like 20turns ago, finished razing the empire and the dwarfs still haven't rebuilt anything, even though they have 30 settlements, because I think they can't actually afford anything. They put agents buildings everywhere instead of economy shit and have like 4 agents sitting around in every province and their army is basically a couple of heroes, their lords and a few warriors.
On legendary? If so then my experience has been the polar opposite.

px7z7A3.jpg

Similarly,http://i.imgur.com/FJgNFa2.jpgand it eventually got interwoven with compositions like thishttp://i.imgur.com/xRWrzSW.jpg

And of course a random faction they're at war with joins them for good measure.

In my personal opinion, there needs to be some sort of medium put in place concerning the acquisition of non-quested gear for your lords; Talisman of Chaos (two, now) with 50s of 22% ward, 44s of HP regen and 10s of 22% weapon damage / 36% AP increase per battle tacked onto one item just blows everything else I've encountered out of the water by a wide margin, especially for an item considered to be "Rare" as opposed to Unique etc. I'd image encountering one early game would turn things easy mode.