Total War: Warhammer

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Amazon Prime has TW2 for free(well "free", you need prime obviously) via Twitch, it is the Epic version however and if you want to play Mortal/Immortal Empire campaigns you need to own all the games on the same platform. Still it's free and a somewhat nice game, Vortex campaign is a bit eh but if someone wanted to check out the game it wouldn't be a bad thing to start with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I switched from ultra to large unit sizes and it’s helped some of the pathing issues in siege and settlement battles. Might experiment with medium, seems like they rebalanced the game better for smaller unit sizes compared to WH2. I think the settlement design sucks enormous horse cock for ultra unit size.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I switched from ultra to large unit sizes and it’s helped some of the pathing issues in siege and settlement battles. Might experiment with medium, seems like they rebalanced the game better for smaller unit sizes compared to WH2. I think the settlement design sucks enormous horse cock for ultra unit size.
They did yeah but ultra feels definitely like what they use for balancing, it has nice numbers and looks nice, but yeah in settlements and shit going large is probably a lot better, so many siege/settlements you can't even get a square formation into an alley cause it's so fucking tight.

This is why I use a lot of ranged units and artillery and don't engage too much, other than my Snikch run where I was just ninja-ing the capture points, very thematic and very fun. I've gotten decent enough at them though so they don't bother me so much, even on Vampire Coast which is what I played last week it was pretty alright even if the faction is pretty bad at it(lots of gunpowder which is awful in tight spaces/stuff behind walls).

That said atm I'm taking a break, waiting for that next patch and hoping they make the AI a bit more interesting lategame, every campaign kinda turns the same after the first ~30turns(often less) where you just kinda steamroll everything. The AI pretty much never builds anything lategame and waste all of their gold on stupid hero spam that they just have afking around all over the map and following armies with 6 of them for whatever reason.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Big patch today

• 1Like

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
Big patch today

So far, it looks like par for the course on TW:W3 patches - some much-needed changes accompanied by some terrible new ideas.

In particular, the change to minor settlement battles makes it clear CA have exactly zero idea what to do with them. It's as though they looked at the feedback from the last 9 months and said: "Well, I guess players don't like dealing with our dumb tower defense mini-game in every other battle they fight. Why don't we take them out almost entirely and replace them with a field battle? No, no - we won't update the basic garrisons to compensate or anything, though. That way, it's an instant win if they attack a minor settlement and an instant loss if they're defending. Yeah, that should work!"

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So far, it looks like par for the course on TW:W3 patches - some much-needed changes accompanied by some terrible new ideas.

In particular, the change to minor settlement battles makes it clear CA have exactly zero idea what to do with them. It's as though they looked at the feedback from the last 9 months and said: "Well, I guess players don't like dealing with our dumb tower defense mini-game in every other battle they fight. Why don't we take them out almost entirely and replace them with a field battle? No, no - we won't update the basic garrisons to compensate or anything, though. That way, it's an instant win if they attack a minor settlement and an instant loss if they're defending. Yeah, that should work!"
I mean this is still the better solution since 80% of the settlement battles were also offensive battles where you're attacking shit, so if you wanna play them it's better this way. Defensively it's likely worse but as long as you aren't getting fucked over that shoudn't happen much. Overall patch looks solid, few things are weird cause they didn't fix them(like Sisters quest battle where they fixed one of the reward but not the actual battle) and some stuff look wild(Orion new upkeep passive reduction effectively make his army free and every other army half cost or less which is crazy).

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I mean this is still the better solution since 80% of the settlement battles were also offensive battles where you're attacking shit, so if you wanna play them it's better this way. Defensively it's likely worse but as long as you aren't getting fucked over that shoudn't happen much.
I am gonna miss the free ammo cheese in defense battles. I won many defense battles with a garrisons and a small ranged army just shooting things with unlimited ammo.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I am gonna miss the free ammo cheese in defense battles. I won many defense battles with a garrisons and a small ranged army just shooting things with unlimited ammo.
Yeah you could do fancy things, fast races could also kite around waiting for towers to finish shit but overall it was pretty dumb so not gonna miss these defensive battles much. Just autoresolve and move on, I find in TW3 with the low supply lines, defending is usually not an issue at all, just raise a temporary army where you need it, mass recruit a bunch of crap+RoR you don't use, kick some ass, then disband that whole shit. I barely fought garrison battles unless I really didn't want to lose that settlement.

I'm sure it's not perfect, I haven't played yet so can't say for sure, but I don't think it's an issue. Maybe with the more agressive AI it'll be, my experience after finishing like 6 or 7 campaigns on VH and one on legendary was that I barely needed to defend most of the time, and when I did the quick army thing fixed all issues. I do wall everything usually and now that's nerfed so maybe it'll change, finishing my Terraria run before I give this a try. Bretonnia did get fucked by the change more so than others though I think cause they used to get walls for "free" at T3(they need 2buildings for economy instead of 1 which is why they got this) and their garrison are almost entirely peasants so might be rough, but Bretonnia can also have defending half stack armies more or less everywhere since they have no supply lines.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Doesn't seem very surprising, the full race DLCs always take a while iirc? In TW2 they released Tomb Kings first and even then it still took 4months, and this time they released the chaos stuff first so they probably hadn't been working on Chaos Dwarves in advance that much. To put in perspective, it took 6months between The Queen and the Crone and the Vampire Coast DLC after that. Since they were also working on Immortal Empires along with the chaos stuff, I'd say it seems about normal to have that much of a gap, granted Q2 could mean several months more than just april but still.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
That doesn’t bother me at all if they keep pumping out bug fixes and balance patches. There’s a fucking metric fuckton of existing content to explore in IE but what’s keeping me from playing more is mainly bugs, shitty pathing, and piss poor ranged behavior in settlement and siege battles. I won’t hold my breath because CA is CA. Luckily I’m on a rimworld bender so fuck ‘em.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I love that CA pissed legend off because now he has no reason to hold anything back being the trolly dick he is. This is a genius move by Legend. Big Fuck you to CA, gets him a lot of positive publicity, it would be great for the game if it it works and it’ll hold CA’s ball to the fire if it catches on and force a response from CA which they’ll fuck up somehow and piss everyone off.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya he doesn't have to play pretend anymore so he can have early access to TW3 and IE (which is what he did before, bravo)

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Really hope that gets CA to allow IE for all WH3 owners. Having WH3 unlocking IE while locking factions/lords behind the individual games is the smart move. Also makes IE-only DLCs a lot more practical (might've been mentioned but I didn't watch the whole thing).

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I almost caught myself having fun playing this yesterday lol. I can’t get over how much I like the WoC rework. The unit progression part of it especially. Feels kind of bland now playing all the other factions without that mechanic.

• 1Like