Toys R Us -- ruining a company is very lucrative

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Return it.

The company is going out of business, if you're ever going to take advantage of a return policy this is the time. You aren't hurting the store employees, they're already losing their job.
sound advice, but laziness beat out. on plus side, it was hands down the coolest thing birthday boy got.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Stopped by again tonight. 40-60% off almost everything (higher on a few scattered items), and 30% off Legos, so I picked up a few sets. Though about 90% of their stock had already sold. Was going to ask about the display sets, but forgot. Seems like a good time to buy stuff if interested. Fiance picked up some stuff, and I got some RC stuff for my son. Prices may get lower, but anything worth buying may not last. Like I bought the last 2 Transformers there. Thieves are already hitting the place too - saw a good few empty boxes. And the Lego books that come with a figure - all the figures were ripped out.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Sears, the Original Everything Store, Files for Bankruptcy

Same basic story -- hedge fund buys company and intentionally runs it into the ground gaining profit the whole way down. At what point do we re-examine the nature of corporate 'personhood' in light of the conflict of interest of those who are making the decisions for it?

If you had power of attorney over your elderly relative and used that legal authority to deny them medical care while also taking out home equity loans in their name and selling their house etc. you would be locked up. Instead we have these doofuses that can ruin the lives of 10s of thousands of employees while taking home massive profit. Seems just so fundamentally wrong.

Even today, over two decades past its prime, Sears has some 68,000 employees. That's more than the sum total of every American coal miner. Where's Mr. MAGA?

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sears, the Original Everything Store, Files for Bankruptcy

Same basic story -- hedge fund buys company and intentionally runs it into the ground gaining profit the whole way down. At what point do we re-examine the nature of corporate 'personhood' in light of the conflict of interest of those who are making the decisions for it?

If you had power of attorney over your elderly relative and used that legal authority to deny them medical care while also taking out home equity loans in their name and selling their house etc. you would be locked up. Instead we have these doofuses that can ruin the lives of 10s of thousands of employees while taking home massive profit. Seems just so fundamentally wrong.

Even today, over two decades past its prime, Sears has some 68,000 employees. That's more than the sum total of every American coal miner. Where's Mr. MAGA?
i'm just browsing "tools" reviews on youtube, every reviewer (some pro mechanics) always say for the diy'er just buy pro grade craftsman, if it breaks you have a lifetime warranty and a quick trip to the SEARS store.

Yea nope, looks like its el cheapo harbor freight.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I know the world is full of coulda-woulda-shoulda, but Sears actually had a relatively sophisticated inventory system in the late 70s that tied their in-store stock to the catalog and vice versa. Imagine a world where this was continually updated and brought screaming into the dawning of ecommerce. They could have easily had 'Prime Now' 10 years ago.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Wait and see is mostly what the story is about. Pretty thin on details.

Toys ‘R’ Us comeback is met with skepticism by major toy makers

But believe it or not, Toys ‘R’ Us may be eyeing a comeback of sorts. Former Toys ‘R’ Us executives have started a new firm dubbed Tru Kids. Led by former Toys ‘R’ Us Chief Merchandising Officer Richard Barry, Tru Kids owns the rights to mascot Geoffrey the Giraffe, Toys ‘R’ Us and Babies ‘R’ Us. The company plans to open 70 new stores overseas this year, but hasn’t made its intentions for the U.S. market clear.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
they should just move into the soon to be empty payless stores
lulz, funny, i was testing out alexa "alexa, whats happening in topeka ks today?"

alexa: "payless shoestore and corporate is closing this week"

wha???
df156c22406db38ba415b814ce1e5552.png

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff

So the first of the NEW ToysRUs stores is now open in NJ and it is interesting to read all the comment pieces about it.

Some people are flabbergasted that it is now more akin to a WeWork setup where toy companies pay to have different micro-shops set up within a larger space. This is silly because that sort of shelf-space allocation is already done in every corporate retail outlet imagineable. It was certainly the case in the old ToysRUs where they auctioned off sections of the store and endcaps etc to the highest bidder, this is just taking that concept to the next level.

Others are aghast that the new store has cameras and sensors to track shopper movement and gauge overall interest by demographic. (what toys do boys 6-12 linger at...where do all the asian kids congregate?). Again this is not new. Tracking shoppers is very much a thing these days and even built into many of those nifty 'coupon apps' that people download. This is just being a bit more obvious about it and offering that data up for sale rather than using it solely internally.

Still others wonder why it is that all the kiosks inside the store send shoppers looking for an item that isn't for sale on site to a Target.com based web portal. Large physical retail is functionally just a showroom at this point anyway. How many of you pop open Amazon.com on your phone while at a store and check to see what the price is or what other options are available? I know I do it constantly and even will go so far as to try an item at the store and then buy it from Amazon so that it just gets automagically delivered versus me lugging it home in an Uber.

To me it sounds like the new store is actively trying to function in a current retail sales model where the physical store serves a function that is closely tied to the physical presence and work to those strengths rather than tilt at windmills.

The other comments I'm seeing are those who are trying to retrocon the story of the original ToysRUs's failure and canonize the original investors for having helped poor Geoffrey last as long as he did. Yeah they kept the poor chap on life support, but only because they had leeches attached to his jugular draining him dry.

Siliconemelons

With prime it shows that adults can wait for tomorrow, maybe 2-3 days and for the ADD, late that day... but KIDS and TOYS...its all NOW

Unless the parent is tempering them with "this is for X event" - kid stuff is a buy now item.. ToysRUs will fail again if they cannot leverage that with their new stores.

Adults browsing the place to pick up on gift ideas etc... well yeah, they will amazon it etc. and make sure they are getting the best price and if there are any variant options etc.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Man so many good memories at toys r us. It was the place where a kid could be a kid. Made Christmas 2015 awesome.