Toys R Us -- ruining a company is very lucrative

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i like how this thread is only kept alive, cuz someone is gonna post when sales start, as opposed to "Toys R Us is gone, such a shame"

do kids r us count? cuz i just went there this weekened, nada.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

there are like... 3 kids r us's lol

I only happened upon one in...I think like brandon town center area I was passing through one day.

Its generally Babies R Us - and that place most likely will get a namesake bought and redone - its a huge market share they have fairly locked in.

The Kids r Us- didnt take off as much, as its fit between babies r us and toys r us- but focusing more on clothing and that shit for "kids" - Target et al have that all on lockdown, no need for this store- although they did start before target became as wide spread as they are now.

Siliconemelons

well it is somewhat regional, but a lot of it- is registry based and whats around.

There are no buybuybaby-ies near me. no one registers...at walmart generally...

Its "a baby store" +target for most baby registries etc.

The reward point system brings in a lot of reason to go there vs target- its the "price deals+points" vs 5% redcard and sales.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
well it is somewhat regional, but a lot of it- is registry based and whats around.

There are no buybuybaby-ies near me. no one registers...at walmart generally...

Its "a baby store" +target for most baby registries etc.

The reward point system brings in a lot of reason to go there vs target- its the "price deals+points" vs 5% redcard and sales.
Amazon registry. Makes everyone's life easier

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Using the babies r us registry I think gave us an extra $600 in rewards and they give a discount on stuff people didn't buy

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gf and I went into babies r us a few times just to look at things / put our hands on some of the models and get a feel for it. We then promptly went and registered on amazon and enjoyed our not ridiculous price baby stuff.

I can't imagine how they will stay open much longer when the prices are so much higher

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had a friend on facebook that went absolutely crazy over the top with his butt anger over this. I mean, don't get me wrong, as a child of the 8 bit Nintendo days, Toys R Us will always have a special place in my heart. I used to LOVE the thrill of going in around the time a highly anticipated game was coming out (Super Mario 3 is the best example), and racing to the back to see if there was a tag still for it. And when there was, rushing up to pay for it and then turning the tag into the dude in the cage. It was awesome.

However, and the point I was trying to get across to him before I got his wailing and gnashing of teeth response, is times have changed. My kids are not Toys R Us kids, they are Wal Mart, Target, and Amazon kids. Why? It's simple. My area Toys R Stores have gone completely ghetto in the last decade and a half. They are run down. They are kind of a pain in the ass to get to (again this is specific to our area). And when you do get there, the selection is not a whole lot different than what you see in the other box stores, and it's more expensive. We tried the whole take the kids to Toys R Us thing for Christmas one year, and it was disappointing to say the least. Now it wasn't until later that I heard about the leveraged buyout thing, and yeah that is complete bullshit, but to me Toys R Us has been going downhill long before the dates stated in the OP.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

True, times are just changing - Target and Walmart are just as good for "toys" if not better- and offer better sales (in general) and whatevers.

I too fondly remember the tag check...and if there were no tags for the game you want, you go troll the cage and see if you can see it stacked somewhere "I SEE A ZELDA 2 DAMNIT! GIVE IT TO ME"

I kind of miss the GIANT TALL ROW AFTER ROW of toys and shit - it was like an event as a kid...the new lower shelves and segmented sections...blah-- also it was easier to keep track kids- you stand at the end and you can scan 2-3 rows- let the little shits go run down the isle and be kids... now, with the labyrinthine type sections and areas, you have to stay with your kids lest they get lost.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'll give you prices when it comes to Walmart/Target - but the selection in Toys R Us is huge. Amazon has them beat... but Walmart/Target do not.

Goatface

Looks like Sale will start either Thursday or Friday, but could start out as low as 10%
could last as long as 14 weeks, but most stores will run out of stuff before then.

Amazon reportedly wants to buy some of the empty buildings for their retail stores

KB Toys is trying to make a comeback

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
shit, when a store closes out, does that mean you can buy anything in the store?

cuz i need me a pegboard

specifically this one w/ the mario etchings, that shit is cool
5ab1431ab4b15e3b028b456a-960-720.jpg

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Went to a local store today and yeah the initial mark downs aren't that high. Obviously they inventory skews towards the less popular stuff as they've likely had few if any new shipments lately, but the selection was still rather meager.

I was actually trying to figure out what I was seeing and failing. The store dwarfs the size of the toy section at Walmart, yet there wasn't much for sale that was different than the stuff I'd seen at Walmart.