Tropico 5

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So the only difference is resources like mines and oil have a set place now and you have to progress in eras to get even the basic buildings like apartments. Classic case of if it isn't broke don't fix it and they didn't do shit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I watched some of TotalBiscuit's first impressions and liked what I saw but I am a very, very cheap individual. In the video he praised Tropico 3 a number of times. I just buy that one, right? It's like 10 bucks versus 35 bucks.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bummer. So many good games out right now too. Terrible time to release, if its not perfect.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm having my voices completely cut out. I have no idea what to do about it. Anyone else have this issue?

On more developed islands (900+ citizens) the infrastructure seems to be failing hard too. I frequently have goods not being picked up despite having teamsters all over the place and construction takes years to complete now.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm having my voices completely cut out. I have no idea what to do about it. Anyone else have this issue?

On more developed islands (900+ citizens) the infrastructure seems to be failing hard too. I frequently have goods not being picked up despite having teamsters all over the place and construction takes years to complete now.
They might be unhappy or lazy, assign a manager and fire everyone currently employed, will fill back up quick with people ready to work. Merica!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wait for it to go on sale. Tropico 5 is is about as much of an upgrade over 4 as 4 was over 3.
So what you're saying is, I still cant put a road under one of those Natural Bridge kind of things in number 5, too?

rrr_img_67879.jpg

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I don't get what is going on with Kalypso. They seem to be treading water and doing some kind of Madden '90, '91, '92, '93, '94, etc. with their IP.

Hopefully 5 changes that, but I expect the same.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So what you're saying is, I still cant put a road under one of those Natural Bridge kind of things in number 5, too?

rrr_img_67879.jpg
I think they went the easy way out, I haven't seen any of these arches yet.

Overall yeah, they seem to be putting very little effort into their new Tropicos. You can now be invaded by foreign powers, but instead of actually bothering with landing ships approaching the shore, they just spawn on the coast. For a game that benefits so much from atmosphere, they're really walking a thin line with their cheapskating.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The game's published by Kalypso, they're famous for buying up old IPs and turning them into shovelware, hoping to sell games based on nostalgia. Tropico is probably one of the franchises they're put a bit more effort into overall, but it seems they've stopped caring now.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The fact that there's code for the estimated effectiveness of a building in the game, but that it's only used for tourism buildings, is fucking infuriating. Applying the same code to Planations and ranches would have taken a few minutes, yet apparently that was not within the $300 budget for Tropico 5.

One thing I don't get: why would I ever want to import cigars, steel or other final products, especially above market price? Most of the trade offers are imports, and that's just useless almost all the time

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Picked this up on ps4 last week. It's fun but not very deep. I should plat it in the next few days

Oldbased

> Than U
Probably need a Tropico 6 thread but I was waiting for this crazy like. Now I've seen a stream of it and it is nothing new other than islands and bridges and some other small things. I was hoping the studio change would have built upon it something new. It seems like to me it is the same ole but with large areas to build upon sadly.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I played tropico since 2 or 3 and with a handful of exceptions, mechanics and gameplay have been almost exactly the same between generations. There must be a market for them or they wouldn’t keep making them. I snag the latest one when it’s the “complete edition” with all the DLC and $5 since 95% of the game is just a reskinned version of the previous Tropico.

Oldbased

> Than U
I played tropico since 2 or 3 and with a handful of exceptions, mechanics and gameplay have been almost exactly the same between generations. There must be a market for them or they wouldn’t keep making them. I snag the latest one when it’s the “complete edition” with all the DLC and $5 since 95% of the game is just a reskinned version of the previous Tropico.
True true. Won't argue that. The whole new studio, well old Might and Magic studio and all the hype most of the year for GROUNDBREAKING DESIGN CHANGES!!111 and really we get Tropico 5 with Tropico 3 featurish and bridges so you can build even larger shit on not one but multiple islands. Small graphics update and UI update. Not worth the $45 they are asking out the door for GOUNDBREAKIN FALLOUT76 style!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user