Trove: Scott's Trion on voxels

Caliane

I am pretty sure the simplistic building design is a good thing. been over this talking about landmark, terraria, minecraft, etc.
It breeds creativity. and lets people visualize much easier when looking at clear tangible values in things like 8x8 block.
I have a stairwell 20seconds into building in Trove versus fighting with the tools for 4 hours in Landmark trying to figure out how to make one. Sure 10 weeks of fighting the tools, I can make a really nice staircase.
But its work doing anything in it. I have real doubts Landmarks complexity is a good thing for this genre.
(all my friends did quit it. Starbound too for that matter. Superior building tools isn't enough.)

Feel like both worlds are islands. not sure on that jar versus open world comparison.

Play doh comment, agree with. shaders are a bit weird at times. and I think block size should probably be shrunken 20-30% or something.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think trion handled archeage perfectly.

It wasn't Trion's game. And they pulled in some fat bucks selling an english translation of someone elses game for $250 a pop. That's what you call a savvy business deal negotiated from a position of weakness.

The game itself was a clusterfuck, and has always been a clusterfuck. That is the basic appeal of a game like ArcheAge -- ++clusterfuck to the max, gank noobs, go craaaaaaaaazy.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Judging Trion based on your experience with Archeage is silly. Trion's hand were tied with a lot of things by XL.
Opinions are opinions, Trion had control over enough to make me never want to participate in a game they publish or make again.

They're about the same as EA and the whole Sim City (online) bull shit.

Vitality

HUSTLE
That's not very nice
frown.png

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I have a stairwell 20seconds into building in Trove versus fighting with the tools for 4 hours in Landmark trying to figure out how to make one. Sure 10 weeks of fighting the tools, I can make a really nice staircase.
But its work doing anything in it. I have real doubts Landmarks complexity is a good thing for this genre..
There's definitely room for both, as I don't necessarily see the people who play Landmark as the Trove type of player. I see the Trove type player former Minecrafters, which is their direct competition (Cube World also).

The problem with having a 20 second staircase (or other types of things), is that because things are so easily constructed it isn't as challenging or satisfying for most people. Now that's great if you want to build out a whole biome where only one person is really going to see it per se vs a Landmark type of thing in one claim where the whole open-world community will come up and take notice. Ultimately that's the goal of builders anyways; to say "Hey, look at this incredible, difficult, awesome work of art I made" in these games.

For me, I saw some nice things in Trove but mostly was like "That looks like it was easy to do.. meh", whereas in Landmark it's almost always awe and wonder with me sitting there trying to figure out exactly HOW someone did what they did.

That's not saying Trove is a crappy game, it isn't. But I already can do that in Minecraft pretty much and after that many years I'm ready to look at other types of art that people can make with more complex tools, get ideas and then do it myself. After all, it's not supposed to be prefab houses you put up in an hour so if stairs take an hour, that's fine. It's not really a race and it's the finished product anyone is interested in ultimately anways.

Caliane

Char name is cassandria if anyone does give it a shot.
Can join up in my club world if you want.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Char name is cassandria if anyone does give it a shot.
Can join up in my club world if you want.
Ill see if I can message you when I get on later tonight.

I enjoy the game for what it is ~ The colors hurt my eyes like someone else said, but a player can recolor blocks after crafting one of the machines that does it. I traveled into the third tier world, snuck around, found an empty cornerstone in it, made my plot there, its a 6 block high castle, shot everything around me without any retaliation at lvl 1. Ez Pz, made it to level 4 or something before getting bored of being so cheezy ;D!

ili_sl

shitlord
After the way Trion handled the publishing of ArcheAge I'm not even going to touch this title.
This is the same reason why i never bothered with ArcheAge. Defiance was a crap feast filled with hackers, ect. Trion did little.

With Defiance you even had buy the box/dd at release. I couldn't imagine the crap feast ArcheAge is being free to play.

Free to Play + PvP = never spend money on.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Launched and it is awesome, come play this shit now. Send tell to Drakonin for guild invite

Carl_sl

shitlord
Player built dungeons, player made items, player made entire worlds too I guess. action combat that works reasonably well

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I love Trove for its mindless fun. The dungeons and world are awesome if you can dont mind the voxel block look. Great game.