Trove: Scott's Trion on voxels

Bruman

Golden Squire
I'm not a minecraft guy, so I'm probably the worst person to comment. From my perspective, this looks like it's adding an extra layer on to minecraft with the whole class system. Also, to play with other people in Minecraft, don't you need to know how to set up a server or find a group of people with one set up already? Does supporting the game from a backend/server point of view add some security/ease of entry on to the game?

What about the supposed class system? Does that add any extra dimensions?

To me the game doesn't seem like any kind of blockbuster game, but it looks like a fun little project. It neither excites me or turns me off.
I'm not up-to-date with Minecraft, but I know at one time MC was testing out a "Mojang hosted servers" thing. I don't know what happened with it. Other than that though, yeah, you ran your own.

Really though, this is a Cubeworld rip more than Minecraft. Cubeworld has the open multiplayer thing with classes, races, crafting, typical RPG-ish style stuff. But I believe it's still self-hosted games. And it looks almost exactly the same. Like, seriously.Picroma

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
They've explained and/or fixed a lot of things people have complained about. From my list of complaints, they only thing I'm not satisfied with is the class system and development path. What hasn't been explained by Trion that you thought they haven't explained to you?
Just curious, are you happy with how Rift ran on your computer?

The vast majority of people I know that played had the same complaint; this game is sluggish (they always couch it as 'something's wrong, idk'). I know it's the Gamebryo engine like they used in Warhammer (another sluggish casting/laggy game) but they supposedly 'heavily modified' it and it seems they still suck at it.

Same computer than can run any number of other mmos perfectly fine (including FFXIV) has some of the worst optimization I've seen.

edit: several years later still

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just don't have the patience to do quest hubs anymore - with the exception of EQ2 (and that's only because there is sooooo many other things to do in game). It felt like an absolute chore to pick up 8 quests at one hub, turn them in and go the next, rinse and repeat. Looking forward to our new voxel overlords, whoever they may be (although likely not Trion).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Defiance was a good concept, it just wasnt fleshed out like it needed to be. People compared it to borderlands but was like its half baked cousin. It needed more vehicles, more unique guns, and more dungeons. It also seemed like the game was not finished either. Once you crossed the bridge, the game took a nosedive in the quality of PvE. The events, like rifts, were all the fucking same as well, they even spawned in the same places. They could of done so much more with them and their idea. PvP was a fucking mess like in no other game to date and since. Totally unbalanced mess. All in all it was a lackluster game but worth the $20 entrance fee to play through.

Also I dont get all this man love you guys are giving Scott, like hes the next big thing in mmos, all I have seen from him is mediocrity up to this point.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
They've explained and/or fixed a lot of things people have complained about. From my list of complaints, they only thing I'm not satisfied with is the class system and development path. What hasn't been explained by Trion that you thought they haven't explained to you?
Why did you launch with 2 factions and one linear path for leveling. Why did you not add factions and more leveling paths in expansions. - Wow did
Why did you recycle the already low amount of content you launched with ( i.e. the advanced dungeons or hardmode ) - WoW did
why were dungeons linear - WoW's were ( later ones anyway )
why did you try to balance pvp and mess up souls for PVE - WoW did
why did you bother with instanced pvp minigames ? - WoW did
why did you have such a short leveling curve and rush people to a treadmill - WoW did
why did you blow the soul idea somewhat to hell by introducing more vertical progression in classes. ( not sure WoW applies here but they definitely neutered their only unique feature.

In a general sense I would like to ask them why did you copy WoW including its deficiencies.. The answer is obvious to me but I would like to see that trion is doing something original as they could have with RIFT... I thought they were a great developer as far as quality of content but on the idea side I want to see more than ohh shit lets copy Minecraft or EQN:L or WoW this time around.

For the record I really want to see Trion do well and do something somewhat orginal but given their past I just don't see it happening.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Just curious, are you happy with how Rift ran on your computer?

The vast majority of people I know that played had the same complaint; this game is sluggish (they always couch it as 'something's wrong, idk'). I know it's the Gamebryo engine like they used in Warhammer (another sluggish casting/laggy game) but they supposedly 'heavily modified' it and it seems they still suck at it.

Same computer than can run any number of other mmos perfectly fine (including FFXIV) has some of the worst optimization I've seen.

edit: several years later still
It always ran extremely smooth for me. It's one thing that was great about the game, the client was really well done. I never heard of anyone having significant issues with the game.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Why did you launch with 2 factions and one linear path for leveling. Why did you not add factions and more leveling paths in expansions. - Wow did
Why did you recycle the already low amount of content you launched with ( i.e. the advanced dungeons or hardmode ) - WoW did
why were dungeons linear - WoW's were ( later ones anyway )
why did you try to balance pvp and mess up souls for PVE - WoW did
why did you bother with instanced pvp minigames ? - WoW did
why did you have such a short leveling curve and rush people to a treadmill - WoW did
why did you blow the soul idea somewhat to hell by introducing more vertical progression in classes. ( not sure WoW applies here but they definitely neutered their only unique feature.

In a general sense I would like to ask them why did you copy WoW including its deficiencies.. The answer is obvious to me but I would like to see that trion is doing something original as they could have with RIFT... I thought they were a great developer as far as quality of content but on the idea side I want to see more than ohh shit lets copy Minecraft or EQN:L or WoW this time around.

For the record I really want to see Trion do well and do something somewhat orginal but given their past I just don't see it happening.
Two Factions: They launched with them because it was an industry norm. They got rid of them before the expansion or around the same time.
Heroic Dungeons: Again it's an industry norm. A lot of people skip dungeons as they level. It's a way to reuse content and allow players to use the content that might of skipped over it. Almost all games do this now. It's not exactly a bad thing especially since most games have fast leveling.
Linear Dungeons: They suck ass, but they're easier to make. I assume they would tell you about development time and budget. However, they have launched some dungeons that weren't linear. There was one that was really really well done on Ember Island.
Class Balance: It was balls, and I hate them for it. Rift always had terrible PVP.
Why was PVP instanced: Industry norm and people really like it. Thats why. They did launch Conquest and other things that took place in the open world.
Short Leveling Curve - Industry norm. People want fast leveling so you either make it longer by a touch or shorter by a touch. Rift wasn't ever going to launch with a 4 month leveling curve.

They copied the WOW formula for sure in a lot of aspects, but tried to improve upon it. What did you expect them to? They were catering to a market dominated by one game so they have to translate some of those aspects into their game. There are faults with the game, but copying what a lot of people like is not one of them. You have to realize that Rift was under production for a while then it stopped cold when Scott came in. They went black for a year or so and completely revamped the game from what it was. On a short time table and a small budget, I think they did a pretty good job. Especially for a new studio.

I'm not apologizing for them because they made plenty of mistakes and bad design decisions from my point of view that I can go on and on about, but they don't deserve to be blasted for Rift. Blast them all you want for Defiance which was a debacle.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Trion was not the only game company copying WoW at the time. You cant blame them for it. Im sure investors had a lot to say on the subject as well. They dont want new, they want tried and true that works.

But as a gamer, of course this sucks, but you cannot blame them for it, or any other company, that made wow clones since 2005.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Honestly the harsh ,and I mean harsh class nerfs they did right after launch pissed me off. Yes yes , the sab needed I guess for PVP , (although face planting someone with 5 stacks of charges made me giggle to no end ) , but my other class , the Reaver , didn't really need the bat they took to it.

Oh noes , a tank class can wade into even level mobs and do lots of aoe and survive. Seriously , it hurt no one , did nothing but tickle in PVP , but they still found the need to smack them with the bat.

I'm not sure if they just didn't test shit in beta or what , but what the Sab's could do should have been seen well before launch instead of letting them in and then the nerf bat to them also.

spronk

FPS noob
i would like to ask trion to make trove 18+ R rated and let users customize their voxel based tits and dongs. also let same sex relationships and owner/slave be server variables so the Tea Party, Russian, Furry, and Sharia servers can be a thing

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
@Draegan and mkopec

Great points gents.. my point is. Have they realized that copying "insert game here " does not translate into a successful MMORPG ? That is what I hope to hear from Trion as I really like them as a developer from a quality standpoint. ( shit worked ).

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
It always ran extremely smooth for me. It's one thing that was great about the game, the client was really well done. I never heard of anyone having significant issues with the game.
It ran smooth in certain zones, or if there was next to no characters on screen. In any of the semi crowded cities it ran like ass no matter how good your PC / GPU.

For comparison, I get 60-100FPS in Shimmersand. But when I check out the new farie city in Dendrome: a solid 14FPS.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
@Draegan and mkopec

Great points gents.. my point is. Have they realized that copying "insert game here " does not translate into a successful MMORPG ? That is what I hope to hear from Trion as I really like them as a developer from a quality standpoint. ( shit worked ).
What do you mean? Rift made them and is currently making them money. You seem to be confused here. Does successful only equate to a game that you like?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Rift was (is?) a good MMO. It had the best instanced PvE of any MMO I've played. I quit when my guild imploded due to stalled progress part way through hammerknell but I really enjoyed the dungeons/raids up to that point.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
What do you mean? Rift made them and is currently making them money. You seem to be confused here. Does successful only equate to a game that you like?
What the fuck do we care if they're making money, that isn't a measure of success to us, the consumers. We want good shit. A successful game is one that people are nostalgic about, a game people loved. No one is nostalgic for Rift.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
What the fuck do we care if they're making money, that isn't a measure of success to us, the consumers. We want good shit. A successful game is one that people are nostalgic about, a game people loved. No one is nostalgic for Rift.
What? They are making money because people love the game and play it regularly. There are plenty of people nostalgic for the game. Just not you or people here. I'm kind of nostalgic for the game because it's the last MMO I had time to play and raid on a regular basis in.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rift is to Draegan what EQ is to a lot of us... Wasn't it your first MMO? It's natural to support the game you've invested the most of your time in...out of the rest of the mmos. We are all guilty of that. Rift was ok but to me it was a lot of what was going wrong with the industry all dumped into one game. For my play style I mean. Rift was a great game for the causal.