True Detective

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unbelievable that these kind of comments are being made 2 episodes in.

Because everyone was applauding the first season and giving it awards and critical acclaim 2 episodes in.
At least on this forum they were. There was very few negative comments during the first few episodes of S1, maybe because it was a new show?

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Had to re-watch with friends and noticed this...

rrr_img_101724.jpg

Animal heads and one is missing? (Assuming it's the Raven/Crow head?) - Shooter took it after killing city planner guy...but why that one...with other choices?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I can't argue with the first season being better than this season. I agree that it was, at this stage(and will most likely be even after this season is over). I honestly can't imagine anyone even thought this season would be as good, only due to how good and well received the first season was.

What I can't get on board with is the vast majority of criticism on this season, as we are only 2 episodes in. As much as popsicle wants to ignore that "excuse", it's still valid as far as how good this story will be. Things like him putting his gun away when seeing blood are stupid, but it's nitpicking. The acting is good. The production value is typical of HBO and the story has barely started to say whether it's good or not. These aren't fanboy opinions. Just opinions on a show that is 20% into it's story. Not liking the dialogue or atmosphere is subjective. Everyone can't like everything. Hopefully the season gets much more interesting the next episode, so the thread can be about the actual story instead of season 1 comparisons.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Bingo. Nic Pizzolatto took his time when he wrote the first season of True Detective. Something that brilliant must have taken a long time to write, with plenty of edits and rewrites along the way. Then it's a huge success and HBO throws a shit load of money at him and tell them they need another season, but instead of being able to take his time and do it right, they give him a few months to complete it so they can start filming. Not really his fault, but proof that you should never rush genius. Took Michelangelo 4 years to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Probably wouldn't have been the same had the church given him just a weekend.
Hey dumbass, the sixteen chapels is like 6000 square feet.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Sixteen Chapel is an underage whorehouse in Mexico.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I can't argue with the first season being better than this season. I agree that it was, at this stage(and will most likely be even after this season is over). I honestly can't imagine anyone even thought this season would be as good, only due to how good and well received the first season was.

What I can't get on board with is the vast majority of criticism on this season, as we are only 2 episodes in. As much as popsicle wants to ignore that "excuse", it's still valid as far as how good this story will be. Things like him putting his gun away when seeing blood are stupid, but it's nitpicking. The acting is good. The production value is typical of HBO and the story has barely started to say whether it's good or not. These aren't fanboy opinions. Just opinions on a show that is 20% into it's story. Not liking the dialogue or atmosphere is subjective. Everyone can't like everything. Hopefully the season gets much more interesting the next episode, so the thread can be about the actual story instead of season 1 comparisons.
Agreed.

I had real high hopes for Vaughn, but his performance isn't resonating with me at all. He really missed the mark on that basement story. Disappointing. Im still undecided on Farrel. The cast has huge shoes to fill, and I'm not sure they're up to the task.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's not Vaughn's fault that the story is a fucking stupid way to open an episode.

It's still way too fucking early to call the show though.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

I haven't seen much criticism of the season 2 story. In fact, I've gone on record myself several times saying I think it has potential, and that I really like the intersection of crime and politics. We got a little of that in season 1, but in the end it was a pretty basic 'crazy guy doing evil things for personal reasons' kind of thing. But, yeah, there are some criticizing the story, but mostly that it's not present enough and been forgotten behind a lot of backstory and dialog-heavy scenes that don't seem like they're actually connected to that story yet.

I think it's telling that people keep defending the 'story' despite that not being what most of the criticisms is about. Why not defend the specific things that look shaky and rushed so far? Like the dialog? The direction? Holstering the gun, beating up the reporter, the same pretty white girl in the diviest crime bar in the world who either inexplicably plays there every night just in case Velcro comes in, or only on the nights he's scheduled with his criminal handler? Or that the actors are good, but they're all one gear and all seem to be playing the same character, with no straight-man or foil for contrast, so things feel very one-dimensional at times?

Oh, it's all just subjective? Everyone can't like everything? That's the main reason season 2 hasn't been as well received as season 1? Suuuurreeee it is.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Oh yea, I'm not gonna formulate an opinion on the entire season based on two episodes. I do find Vaughn's performance itself to be totally mediocre, but it's a possibility that I'm not fully understanding his character yet. We'll see.

I will say this... I fell asleep trying to watch s02e02 on two separate occasions. That shit never happened in season 1.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's not Vaughn's fault that the story is a fucking stupid way to open an episode.

It's still way too fucking early to call the show though.
But it is Vaughn's fault that he isn't a good storyteller. He's no raconteur.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Not VVs fault since it's all subjective anyhow. There wasn't a single objective thing to criticize in that monologue he had with his wife, looking at water stains that are like being trapped in a basement that makes you wonder if you died and the entire world is just paper mache. If people didn't like it, hey, nothing can be done but to hope people like something else and keep throwing him out there hoping to get lucky with subjectivity.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh yea, I'm not gonna formulate an opinion on the entire season based on two episodes. I do find Vaughn's performance itself to be totally mediocre, but it's a possibility that I'm not fully understanding his character yet. We'll see.

I will say this... I fell asleep trying to watch s02e02 on two separate occasions. That shit never happened in season 1.
I'm having serious issues getting past VV in this. Just not feeling his acting job at all but I think it's in part he's stuck in the funny guy role for me. I'm trying to be open minded but he just isn't killing the role yet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm hoping it's the calm before the storm for his character and he really starts to lose it. I want him to be a maniac.