True Detective

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Remember the one interviewer asking Rust if he ever blacked out and couldn't remember what had happened? Maybe Rust has a split personality or has convinced himself that he does as a means of escaping that fucked up form of reincarnation he laid out in the interview.
Split personality is the stupidest fucking plot contrivance of all time. There is no way a show of this caliber will actually try a stunt like that.

The detectives aren't setting Rust up, they're following the evidence where it is leading them. They're stuck with a stone whodunit, and looking back at the previous casework they can make a plausible argument for Rust as a suspect. I don't believe there is any kind of conspiracy on their part to "pin" anything on him. They honestly think they might have their man.

As for the daughter, there's definitely more there than we've seen so far. Since all we're getting is flashbacks from her father's perspective, it makes sense that we don't yet know what's going on with her. He certainly didn't, and may not still fully understand. She was pretty clearly exposed to something at a young age, either abuse or the descriptions of it from a classmate. If there is one thing I have to ding the show for, it's that the parents didn't appear to exhibit more concern when she was staging barbie dolls in explicit ways and drawing naked pictures in class. I'm not saying they should have jumped to any conclusions, but it merited closer supervision at the very least.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the split personality route would really be stupid. I think Rust is just obsessed with the case and that dude in the interrogation room in 2002 basically confirmed to him that they didn't get the killer when they got Ledoux. He's still basically investigating and that's why he was at that crime scene in the "present day" part.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the split personality route would really be stupid. I think Rust is just obsessed with the case and that dude in the interrogation room in 2002 basically confirmed to him that they didn't get the killer when they got Ledoux. He's still basically investigating and that's why he was at that crime scene in the "present day" part.
This. He's probably been investigating since 2002 when he and Marty split. After all we've learned about Rust, I have a hard time believing he'd just give up and spend life as a drunk.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's interesting that someone has speculated every shitty soap opera plot twist imaginable. I hope none of them are what's going to happen. The show has been so well written so far, I can't really imagine that they will end it like that.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The detectives aren't setting Rust up, they're following the evidence where it is leading them. They're stuck with a stone whodunit, and looking back at the previous casework they can make a plausible argument for Rust as a suspect. I don't believe there is any kind of conspiracy on their part to "pin" anything on him. They honestly think they might have their man.
Oh I don't think they're trying to scapegoat Rust either. It's been pretty obvious from the beginning that they've been eying him with suspicion of more than just a misguided investigation.

If there is one thing I have to ding the show for, it's that the parents didn't appear to exhibit more concern when she was staging barbie dolls in explicit ways and drawing naked pictures in class.
I thought I saw a resemblance in the Barbie doll scene Marty saw in her room and the configuration of the bird traps Rust found in the school (the one he picked up) at the end of the episode. They had clusters of twigs at their tops that looked like heads of hair.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
It's interesting that someone has speculated every shitty soap opera plot twist imaginable. I hope none of them are what's going to happen. The show has been so well written so far, I can't really imagine that they will end it like that.
It's "Lost" syndrome. That show has basically warped people into immediately going the most convoluted and retarded way possible, when a show has even a hint of mystery involved.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I agree. Nothing is worse for me than when I guess right unless I don't expect much from the show to begin with. I ain't dat smart. I shouldn't see shit coming from a mile away.

Royal

I wasn't speculating the Rust has a split personality. I was just offering that up to counter the notion that Rust couldn't possibly be in on the killings because he was going off on his own to investigate further after Ledoux had been brainpanned. I don't think he's the guy, but I don't consider him above suspicion at this point either.

Incidently I never watched Lost beyond the first episode, thankfully.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
While it seems pretty obvious the Tuttles are some of the big names involved with the Carcosa cult, I'm honestly hoping the yellow king is someone we haven't met at all.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
While it seems pretty obvious the Tuttles are some of the big names involved with the Carcosa cult, I'm honestly hoping the yellow king is someone we haven't met at all.
I'm not sure how they would work that in considering there are only 3 episodes left. If this storyline was, say, 13 episodes instead of 8 I could see it. But who knows?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not much of a mystery if the killer hasn't even been introduced. or at least mentioned in passing, before the third act.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we still never met the scary ass biker gang leader people have mentioned, not even sure what happened to ginger.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
This show is fantastic.

I like the narrative shift they pulled in this episode. Starting from the first ep, it looked like they were setting up Rust as the killer. We're seeing things from the perspective of the two black detectives, and they must be the good guys since they're running the interview and Rust looks like such a burnout, right? All of their questioning is leading back towards them suspecting him. This episode changed all of that though.

We learn that:
- Rust gets new evidence in 2002 about the yellow king, and right after this he basically disappears. But, since he has a history of doing this to go undercover, it hints to us the audience that he might not have just gone crazy(er), but he's actually been hunting for the real killer all this time.
- The two black detectives basically don't have dick for evidence against Rust for the modern day murders. Unless they're holding back lots of file info -which if they had Rust would have called them on it- all they basically know is that Rust was gone for a while, resurfaced near where a guy was killed, and that the facts surrounding the LeDoux situation back in the day are kind of sketchy. This feeds the next point.
- Rust calls them "company men". Marty says to them "You weren't getting a read on him, he was getting a read on you". This says to me that the 2 black detectives are (unwitting?) pawns of the people in power in the police dept who are looking for a fall guy for the murders and have settled on Rust. Circumstantially, he's a good candidate since no one seems to like him, there's lots of odd shit surrounding him, and he's likely been stirring up shit for the people in power for the last 10 years.

All of this serves to shift the narrative from the 2 black detectives being the good guys and looking for the killer, back to Rust still being the good guy and has been looking for the killer all this time at a huge personal cost, while casting suspicion on the black guys being shills for The Man.

Can't wait to see how this all shakes out.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i saw no swirl on Ledoux's back.
VANSKOP.jpg

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Incidently I never watched Lost beyond the first episode, thankfully.
I wasn't singling you out with that comment. It was a 'just in general' to some of the more absurd theories that get postulated in this forum.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"There are 5 Kings who started a cult to resurrect the Old Gods. The leader is The Yellow King. In order to resurrect them, they need to willingly sacrifice their own daughters."

0YYLZA6.jpg

5 Kings, 1 daughter ?

ap1SeUF.png

5 crowned Kings, 4 standing 1 down. Tuttle died in 2010.

7o1Cqy8.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
totally missed that. thanks man. if Rust was undercover from 02-12, then that explains that he might have went back with the biker gang to investigate some hunch he has, it also suggests that woody and rust are both bullshitting the black detectives and have been in contact with each other the whole time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

I'm sure it's just coincidence but that doll standing at the top left ... sorta looks like cleaned up Rust.

Something else from the closing scene in ep 5; Ledoux was mumbling about a black star to Rust before he was killed. When the camera was pulling out through the broken window in the school, there is a black star in the left corner of the broken glass.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Watched it again sober, didn't realize you could hear that container door sliding open and shut again right before Ledoux comes out wrapping a towel around his waist.