True Detective

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
TJT's write up of events was quality, would read again, but at the end of the day I think the real take away in the finale and season as a whole will be the Pizzolatto mind fuck, where Hayes' dementia and memory loss will be a main factor in the coupe de grace of the pedo ring unveil and ultimate conclusion (only 60 minutes doesnt seem like enough time to wrap that up, but they picked up the pace quite a bit in Ep 7) by perhaps insinuating that Hoyt somehow knew about what happened with his fixer and them killing him, so he flexed on him and used it as an opportunity to threaten/silence him.

Basically, Waynes last meeting with the reporter women almost confirms this. She is confused at the end, and ultimately disappointed by his generalized statement concerning a cover-up and larger orchestrated pedo syndicate. This is because like she said, she expected him, given his record, that he would be intrigued by her research and agree with not only her assessment, but her perception of his late wife's thoughts on a cover up scenario.

Except he wasnt.

Why? Because Hoyt and him talked and he simply forgot it took place, or the specifics of the meeting, certain details, or purposely is drowning those thoughts out. The way he touches fixer standing in the room, kind of confirms that he was a puppet for Hoyt, but also shows Waynes regret. It is the biggest shock factor the audience can get kind of, as that would crystallize the Waynes dementia/Alzheimer angle while also providing a cruel shock to the audience.

I mean, I dont agree with that ending, I kind of think it would be stupid as fuck. After all that time and energy, wasted effort.....only to be felled by his own mind? Gayer than the drunk dad. But its a possibility. Im hoping they just focus on the pedo ring and how it gets taken down, or doesnt, but we do need some light shed on that like TJT said or the season will be for not. The only reason why i dont think they will do that mind fuck is Roland. Where does he fit in with all of this? Did Hoyt just forget about him? The memory thing doesnt work if Roland is part of it.

Also, how the fuck did Hoyt find out so fast? It almost seems like cheap writing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Another good episode. The finale of season 1 was the weakest of the episodes by a fair distance - they rushed it and should've taken an episode more to flesh the ending out.

Looks like were in for more of the same. Hopefully it will be a good finale, but there's quite a bit to tie up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I told my wife 4 episodes ago that I bet he solved the case in 90 but has forgotten. I have enjoyed the shit out of this season so even a mediocre finale would be OK with me. I'm just happy that it wasn't rushed like s2.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's as if another show bought the name to this show and did something entirely different and we don't even know what the show was supposed to be.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Well that was....disappointing.

Bummer, twist wasn't really a twist.

So ya...basically what I thought.

The bar fight was cool. I was wishing it was another minute or two of Dorff vs bikers as he was doing good. The line about the pretty bird who shits on everyone was good.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Don't need no head shittin birds.

Immediate reaction was that the finale was a letdown. Still a good season overall, especially with Dorff and Ali's performances. Looked forward to every episode, and I couldn't say that about season 2. Guessing that Henry keeping the address means he'll eventually find out the truth, but why did Hayes seem like he was suddenly remembering some shocking event only to recall his reconciliation with Amelia? Did I miss something there?

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Pretty meh season but better than 2. Miles away from 1, and think this series should end. Ali and Dorff were great though

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I for one enjoyed this season. I wish the biker brawl with the bandidos lasted longer but I am fine with the ending.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Season 1: 10/10
Season 2: 4/10
Season 3: 6/10

It was fine. It was vanilla. It was slightly above average. It had good performances with an 'ok' story.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Season 1: 10/10
Season 2: 4/10
Season 3: 6/10

It was fine. It was vanilla. It was slightly above average. It had good performances with an 'ok' story.

Pretty much that. I think with a better finale I'd give Season 3 an 8/10 maybe. But if failed to really have a spectacular end.

• 2Like

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
This season had the seeds of greatness in it, it just went nowhere. They didn't let Dorff off his metaphorical chain till the final episode. The bar scene? We needed more of that, ALL season. That scene really felt like season 1 and the way things got developed there. I know there are a lot of whiners about the end of s1, but I think it is perfect. The ending to this was super deadpan, which is much like the season, but they teased so much of what could've been great. More development of Dorff, in particular, and of a larger conspiracy.

Unlike The Last Jedi, this wasn't subversion for the sake of subversion: it made internal sense and had consistency, it just wasn't great. It was okay. Viewers had a lot of expectations, especially with the documentary producer and what that might ultimately mean, and what they might ultimately uncover. In the end, it was just a messed up rich girl who paid for a kid. I'd be more okay with this subversive ending if it had more oomph and development throughout the season. It's easier to care in S1, when it's a string of missing girls, all along Louisiana's coast. Remember the sentiment of "he had a great time after Katrina." We never see it, we just sense that this huge child-rape ring is there, damaging society. There's a scope to it, a dark majesty that makes it really easy to get invested. That dark majesty just isn't there in S3, and that's the letdown. I mean, I get it: this is what being a detective is, it's dead ends and no answers, and sometimes the answers aren't what we expected or want. The problem is the execution was just okay. Great acting, yeah, but the script was just okay and the plot was just okay as well.

• 1Like

Del

Vyemm Raider
It's like the only show I look forward to watching every week, and I thought the season itself was really good, but man, that ending was just as unsatisfying as season 2's was.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Payoff was weak. Almost nonexistent. As expected.

Psycho Rich Bitch is psycho. Kidnaps kids and their house servant covers it up and thinks he was doing the right thing and he's actually remorseful over it.

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The exposition scene felt like a law and order episode, truly disappointing. A murder mystery that turned out to have no murder in it at all, just some clumsy kid hitting his head on a rock.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought the finale was really good. Sometimes there isn't some giant multi state pedo conspiracy and it is just one crazy family. Everyone got a happy ending.

• 2Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finale was "anti-climatic" but overall it was definitely a solid-to-good season. Ali & Dorff were grand slams.

Season 1: 11/10
Season 2: 5/10
Season 3: 7.5/10

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Decent season. Still tons better than 2. She had to recognize Hays when he showed up. The bar fight was awesome.

• 1Like