True Detective

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm just not sure what there was left to be confused about. They revealed or heavily hinted at pretty much everything other than her final outcome and the exact reason the boy was killed before the last episode. Was anyone surprised by anything in the last episode? We didn't even have reason to think that she was dead.

It worked well as a series about memory problems and trying to piece things together, and how these sorts of things affect a community, but not as a mystery, which is a rather important part of a detective story. It came across too much of an attempt at subverting expectations, and we all know how obnoxious those approaches can be.

Maybe I went into it expecting the wrong things, but I can't see any reason to think that they were unreasonable expectations. What I ended up with was an old man telling a meandering tale before he nodded off in his chair, and you're left standing there wondering if it's polite to leave or whether or not you should wait a little longer incase he's going to wake up and finish the story.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I liked the season. The ending was very unexpected, which I liked. Some big pedo cult with the chicken guy at the head of it would have been the way we all expected it to go so having a more low-key almost happy ending was kind of a nice twist.

I'm surprised people liked the biker bar scene. To me that was super hacky and felt out of place in this season. Some grade-A shit talking by Dorff though.

Crazy women stealing children is a thing that happens btw, sometimes by trying to perform an amateur c-section on some poor random pregnant woman.

Fetal abduction - Wikipedia

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Such a huge buildup and subsequent let down. The opportunity to tie into the villains from season 1, to have his partner part of the villains and using his memory against him solving the case, and also using his absentee daughter thread to this. Instead they just chose to dissolve all tension and let it end in a milquetoast happy ending.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What a nice slow story about OH MY GOD IT'S THE LAST EPISODE! INFORMATION DUMP! INFORMATION DUMP!

• 2Like

Szlia

Binge watched season 3 over the week-end. Really enjoyed it. I agree that having a 10 minutes exposition for what actually happened involving characters we almost knew nothing about up until that point was a bit lame, but in a way the story is not about the initial crime, it's about the investigation and how it impacted those involved in it (not the most original type of story, but it's hard to make a bad one out of it). Really enjoyed the multiple endings and that chilling last shot that I take like a metaphor of his identity disappearing in the jungle of Alzheimer.

If we want to nit-pick, it's a bit strange that the security officer goes on a murdering spree considering the actual secret he is supposed to keep hidden (but I guess one can argue it's not 100% sure he actually killed the parents, maybe the mother just overdosed on her payoff and the father killed himself after being told the truth by the security officer, but that sounds like a stretch). The cousin's paranoia and Hoyt's threats also feel over the top considering the crime. Or maybe it's because the actual crime does not sound worth killing over in comparison to what we thought happened, but actually the accidental death, the kidnapping / human trafficking, the sequestration, the drugging and the tampering with an investigation probably send you to jail for a very very long time, even considering the circumstances.

On more general considerations, I find there is too much of an imbalance in the portrayals of the private lives of the two detectives (making the bar fight scene a bit out of place as it's only the 3rd or 4th glimpse of Roland's life) and I feel they failed to nail one of their themes which is the death of a small town. I am not sure how they should have gone about it, considering we already see a lot of abandoned buildings and we get the mother's friend saying she is one of the few left in the area, but still, that aspect is too much of a distant background for my taste.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I’ve been re-watching Season 1. Holy fuck but it’s good. They set a bar so high that other seasons couldn’t hope to beat it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Disagree. It's possible for amazing debut seasons to have equal or better follow ups. Fargo is the first one that comes to mind.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Season 2 of Fargo was amazing but to be fair season 1 has nothing on season 1 of True Detective.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Season 1 of True Detective was carried by incredible acting. The story was well crafted and compelling but a lot of the lines were every bit as cheesy as Blue Balls of the Heart. The difference being the actors knowing how to own and sell it.

Time is a flat circle makes no fucking sense. Its meaningless. Frisbees are a flat circle.

• 3Like

Szlia

The thing is in Season 1 there is only one character that speaks like that, so it's weird but cool. In season 2, everyone speaks like that, so it's just weird and dumb. Season 3 completely drops that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Finished this last month or so, season 3 had the exact same beats as season 1. We did some shit! We old now...we got to finish what we started. I liked the ending the season, the ending did make me feel a little cheated but we as the audience got the full story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oof.

Over half the show's viewership quit.

1589323779351.png

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can skip season 3. It sucked only slightly less than season 2.

Jodie Foster season has a lot of promise though. Could be good.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
3 is worth the watch, I still haven't finished 2 and don't plan to

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity